Why become a member? ×

Help. stripping paint from carbon/graphite

Beedster

Chris, it shouldnt really be a problem, but it would be useful to find out how the 'finish' has been in applied, and in what order. If it has paint then resin over the top, it could be a huge problem......

However if its just a paint finish over finished carbon then its no different to removing and refinishing any other surface!

Is it chipped? we may be able to work out what it is if you have a dink in it....?

B.

Thanks gents
Yes, it is indeed the Modulus Flea that I'm talking about. It has Blue Sparkle body and matching headstock. This doesn't realy suit the rather retro feel of the bands I play with, or indeed the music I play, so I was going to refin it black with a dark Tort Pickguard. I've done a few bodies and don't see this as a problem. However, the carbon is. Let's face it, a black body/tort pickguard ain't gonna look al that sweet with a blued sparkle headstock!
My gut instinct is to get a professional job done, I posted the above to see if anyone has done it in the past. Bob, I think you're right, but I'm still not sure I'd risk it without being 100% certain!
Cheers
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='67980' date='Oct 1 2007, 07:42 AM']Thanks gents
Yes, it is indeed the Modulus Flea that I'm talking about. It has Blue Sparkle body and matching headstock. This doesn't realy suit the rather retro feel of the bands I play with, or indeed the music I play, so I was going to refin it black with a dark Tort Pickguard. I've done a few bodies and don't see this as a problem. However, the carbon is. Let's face it, a black body/tort pickguard ain't gonna look al that sweet with a blued sparkle headstock!
My gut instinct is to get a professional job done, I posted the above to see if anyone has done it in the past. Bob, I think you're right, but I'm still not sure I'd risk it without being 100% certain!
Cheers
Chris[/quote]

Use the Fenders with the heathens and sell the Flea to me ........ very cheaply, want a Sterling? - It looks quite retro :)

[quote name='martthebass' post='68806' date='Oct 2 2007, 08:43 PM']Use the Fenders with the heathens and sell the Flea to me ........ very cheaply, want a Sterling? - It looks quite retro :huh:[/quote]

Cheers, but too late now! The Flea's in the hands of a pro for some work around the neck pocket and a refin. It will emerge with a black body/headstock and tort pickguard. Going for the retro look :)
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='69825' date='Oct 5 2007, 07:35 AM']Cheers, but too late now! The Flea's in the hands of a pro for some work around the neck pocket and a refin. It will emerge with a black body/headstock and tort pickguard. Going for the retro look :)
Chris[/quote]

Chris, the only custom shop worth leaving your Flea with for all this work is the SimS Custom Shop. Martin Sims is the only guy I would trust with such extensive work. Martin knows how to handle carbon fibre as all of Mark Kings basses in recent years from his Fender J-bass, his Goodfellows and now his King Basses were all LED'd by him. Where on earth did you get such a high quality bass from that needed repair work in the neck pocket? Sounds like it was in a crash!

Bassman7

Edited by Bassman7

[quote name='Bassman7' post='71173' date='Oct 8 2007, 06:45 PM']Chris, the only custom shop worth leaving your Flea with for all this work is the SimS Custom Shop. Martin Sims is the only guy I would trust with such extensive work. Martin knows how to handle carbon fibre as all of Mark Kings basses in recent years from his Fender J-bass, his Goodfellows and now his King Basses were all LED'd by him. Where on earth did you get such a high quality bass from that needed repair work in the neck pocket? Sounds like it was in a crash!

Bassman7[/quote]

Hi bassman
Strangely emough, that's where it is (Modulus directed me to him). Martin's going to check the original repair and put a black finish/tort pickguard on it.

Re the original damage, you read all about it at

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3439"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3439[/url]

Thanks for your advice. Not often advice is taken before you offer it eh!
Chris

Edited by Beedster

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Beedster' post='87778' date='Nov 13 2007, 10:40 AM']Got the bass back and Martin and his team did an awesome job. The headstock is immaculate. I'll post pics ASAP
Chris[/quote]
Look forward to that Chris! Haven't seen you on here that much lately - how are things?

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='88054' date='Nov 13 2007, 08:07 PM']Look forward to that Chris! Haven't seen you on here that much lately - how are things?[/quote]

Hey Nik
Good thanks mate. I was down your way a couple of weeks ago but as I was dressed as Marilyn Monroe and was with about 30 others similarly attired, decided not to look you up :) Loving the H&K I bought from you (the Modulus sounds incredible through that and my TE head). Hope all's well with you mate, I'll get those pics up as soon as I can find a flash that works!
I was playing the newly finished Modulus last night and it brought home to me just how much the finish on a bass makes a big difference. The previous finish was blue sparkle, the present is jet black - it feels completely different, both to touch, play and - here goes - experience! It's a completely different bass in most respects. Just as good (well, better since Martin repaired the neck pocket), but different? Interesting. Relates to my placebo question in General Bass Discussion I think?
Cheers
Chris