Why become a member? ×

Warwick Thumb Bass

markytbass

personally i would got for one that around 1990 and before, they have thiner neck and dont suffer from neck dive.
I think the way to tell is if it a Wenge/Bubinga body neck and the battery is in a separate box on the upper side of the back of the body. Also marked 'Made in West Germany' The date is stamped on the top of the headstock under the S/N.

I think the neck profile changed when they stopped using Wenge and started using ovangkol.

Don't discount the newer Thumb BO4's. I don't think the change from Wenge to Ovangkol makes as much difference as many think - I'm not the most discerning guy but my 2006 BO4 has more than enough snap, punch and growl. There is a bit of neck dive but it's no worse than my old Corvette and easily cured with a 3 inch strap. I moved from a Jazz to one of these and found I prefer the neck profile on the Thumb. These are currently pretty good value used - £600 isn't unusual for a good example. Try one and make your own mind up.

I like the newer models too. Pre-1990 models tend to hold their value better so you will be hard pressed to get too much of a bargain on those. Give one of the post-1990s a spin and if you like it you'll find it much easier to pick up a bargain.

[quote name='markytbass' post='67471' date='Sep 29 2007, 07:45 PM']I am in the process of looking for a used 4 string thumb. just wondering what to look for ie where the serial numbers are and how to date them and how much they go for?.

Cheers[/quote]

NT or BO? I can give 'some' help (or can I) with the NT early models but the BO... sorry!

Pre 91/92 the dates are stamped on the top of the headstock, the last two numbers give you the year, the letter at the start, the month (A = Jan B = Feb etc don't include I). After 91/92 it moved to the back of the headstock between the tuners.

Early Thumb's came with a pair of Jazz pups from either (and not exclusive to) MEC EMG Bartolini Seymour Duncan and the earliest models had a JD logo on the truss rod cover with routing to the rear of the headstock and 1 piece bridge. The routing then disappeared as did the logo and 1 piece bridge. After about '95 changes were made right the way through to present day and you now have the Wenge necks and Bubinga bodies replaced by Ovankol and Pommele Bubinga (fancy name but the same stuff). Electrics have gone from 2 band to 3 band along with a multitude of subtle body shape changes. Essentially it's the same bass but the changes may not impress all and it really pays to try a few different models from each era.

Price... here's where it's a lottery. I've had them from £500 to £1000. Age, condition, spec etc all affect price but not half as much as how hard up the owner is!

<edit>

Damn he went and bought a Stingray in the time it took me to type a reply... I blame the alcohol for slowing down my typing skills.

Edited by warwickhunt

I had a 2005 NT and it was great.

Don't know about the early models with 'thinner necks'? This one was pretty thin and I'm used to 16.5mm string spacing!!!

Bought in mint condition, unmarked for £750, sold for a year later £1000!

I'd have one again but not just yet.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='68863' date='Oct 2 2007, 10:57 PM']NT or BO? I can give 'some' help (or can I) with the NT early models but the BO... sorry!

Damn he went and bought a Stingray in the time it took me to type a reply... I blame the alcohol for slowing down my typing skills.[/quote]

He'll soon realise that to make life complete, you need a Warwick and a Musicman in the collection :)

I'd agree tho, the Thumb isn't always an 'immediate' bass - it took me some time to get used to it, but in the end it was worth it.

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='G-77' post='67485' date='Sep 29 2007, 08:11 PM']personally i would got for one that around 1990 and before, they have thiner neck and dont suffer from neck dive.[/quote]

Warwick changed from using wenge to ovangkol on the bolt-on's to help tackle the neck dive problem according to Seth Horan (endorsee and demo/clinic bloke!). I'd imagine the same applies to the neck-thru models.

[quote name='martthebass' post='68803' date='Oct 2 2007, 08:31 PM']Don't discount the newer Thumb BO4's. I don't think the change from Wenge to Ovangkol makes as much difference as many think - I'm not the most discerning guy but my 2006 BO4 has more than enough snap, punch and growl. There is a bit of neck dive but it's no worse than my old Corvette and easily cured with a 3 inch strap. I moved from a Jazz to one of these and found I prefer the neck profile on the Thumb. These are currently pretty good value used - £600 isn't unusual for a good example. Try one and make your own mind up.[/quote]

I play a 1999 thumb BO with the wenge neck, personally I think it feels very different to the newer ovangkol necks. I've A/B'd my old thumb BO with a new thumb BO and the difference is really quite noticable! The wenge necks are thinner and the frets are smaller, this results in a neck that feels faster to play.

[quote name='thumbo' post='69101' date='Oct 3 2007, 03:35 PM']Warwick changed from using wenge to ovangkol on the bolt-on's to help tackle the neck dive problem according to Seth Horan (endorsee and demo/clinic bloke!). I'd imagine the same applies to the neck-thru models.[/quote]

I've owned 5 NT Thumbs (all pre 91) and not a single one suffered from neck dive!

[quote name='finnbass' post='69763' date='Oct 4 2007, 11:12 PM']Totally!

The 'how many times' referred to how often do we have to try and kill this myth???

Sorry if I was unclear... :)[/quote]
Agreed!

If you've never owned a Thumb you don't know what you're talking about. If you have owned one and it neck dived... it was either a new one (which I profess I can't comment on) or you forgot to fasten the strap to the top button.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='69768' date='Oct 4 2007, 11:23 PM']Agreed!

If you've never owned a Thumb you don't know what you're talking about. If you have owned one and it neck dived... it was either a new one (which I profess I can't comment on) or you forgot to fasten the strap to the top button.[/quote]

I owned a new one and it NEVER suffered from neck dive!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='69768' date='Oct 4 2007, 11:23 PM']If you've never owned a Thumb you don't know what you're talking about. If you have owned one and it neck dived... it was either a new one (which I profess I can't comment on) or you forgot to fasten the strap to the top button.[/quote]

Ok. I just find the Thumb BO4 - newer model (2006) hangs at horizontal naturally - it doesn't want to 'dive' any lower. This is in comparison to a Sterling or Precision which on my shoulder, with the same strap hangs naturally at 45 degrees.

One thing you do have to factor it tho if you're more used to Fender 'type' is how long the neck feels :)

I've been wondering what I might get for my Thumb 1990 if I had to sell it - which I hope I won't as I don't want to - really interesting abouthe letters for the month they were made mine is a 'D' - "April 1990" - anyway here's mine again - complete with MEC jazz pickups and a newly installed 3-band Schack EQ, and ramp now - she still plays great and sounds great - but is too damn heavy!!! I get some neck dive but only a little - it's more the weight and the 'dark' tone that I have grown tired of - but it's still a very funky bass - mine for life I think...

Mike

That's a mad top! That thumb is gorgeous.

I owned a Thumb BO 5 1998 for a while, 5 piece wenge neck. The neck was pretty thick. In fact, quite different from a Corvette $$ 5 string I owned as well. It felt fatter and rounder than the new $$ neck, which was quite big in its own right but had a flatter feel.

It wasn't neckdiving as such, more like the balance was horizontal, which can be considered neckdiving (I prefer a more upright balance myself), and really heavy. It felt more dense and 'pro' than the $$.

The sound was thunderous, a real badass Metal monster. I really like the looks too.

BTW, according to the legends, the 5 strings seems to be suffering from neckdive more than the 4 strings.

Edited by Brave Sir Robin