Why become a member? ×

Highway One Jazz

NancyJohnson

I played a Highway One Jazz in Dawsons, Reading yesterday - it was set up like a dawg and the strings were way heavier than I usually use, but it was OK and I suppose reasonably good value.

Something a bit weird though, it sounded like it was running through an octaver...this is the best way I can put it. I used to have an EBS pedal that reproduced the same note an octave down and this is kind of what it sounded like. I tried it through three amps (all Roland) and it was the same through all of them.

I've owned an Aerodyne Jazz previously and my Waterstone 12 has two pickups, but neither of them produced this kind of growl. Played several Jazzes in the US last year and didn't hear it any of those, so I'm wondering what it was that was producing this sound. To be honest, I really liked it!

P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='67634' date='Sep 30 2007, 12:04 PM']I played a Highway One Jazz in Dawsons, Reading yesterday - it was set up like a dawg and the strings were way heavier than I usually use, but it was OK and I suppose reasonably good value.

Something a bit weird though, it sounded like it was running through an octaver...this is the best way I can put it. I used to have an EBS pedal that reproduced the same note an octave down and this is kind of what it sounded like. I tried it through three amps (all Roland) and it was the same through all of them.

I've owned an Aerodyne Jazz previously and my Waterstone 12 has two pickups, but neither of them produced this kind of growl. Played several Jazzes in the US last year and didn't hear it any of those, so I'm wondering what it was that was producing this sound. To be honest, I really liked it!

P[/quote]

It may be the amps, some of the rolands have sound modeling (basicaly an onboard effects unit) it may have been better to try it through a different brand of amp. That said the newer highway 1 basses have a tone control that fender call a grease bucket, this may be giving the effect you are talking about. I have only played on the older highway with the standard fender bridge and that one just sounded like a normal jazz to me.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='67661' date='Sep 30 2007, 01:36 PM']You weren't trying it out through an ashdown amp were you? A lot of them have a sub bass control that sounds like an octaver. I could never understand why Mark Gooday would think that people would find that more useful than a compressor/limiter.[/quote]
+ 1

I was about to say exactly that.

The other reason could be the graphite wrapped rods in the neck. Graphite does give a very "growly" resonance, too. Never tried one with the grease bucket.

Also, my Geddy Lee has a sort of "3D" resonance to it as well... I think it's the vintage US pickups on it & the hard maple board as well, coupled with the extra resonance of the badass II.

Mmmm... I'm fairly stumped now.

Do the new Highway Ones have graphite rods? My 2003 H1 Jazz doesn't, but the current models are very different from the originals (I prefer mine having the truss rod nut at the head but I like the cool 70's logo on the new ones).

You say it was poorly set up (a poorly setup bass in a guitar shop - surely not! :) ) Could it be the pickups were a bit too high and the magnets were actually pulling the heavy strings? This can cause wolftones and a weird loss of sustain, particularly on the bridge pickup - If I remember correctly when I was experimenting to see how high my pickups could go.

I would say its down to crappy strings. or maybe they were too close to the PUP or something as has been pointed out.
Ive not tried one of the new HW1's but i have just gone back to my old HW1 Jazz and cant believe how nice it feels to play and the sound is quite vintage. I really want a p-bass pup in mine though.
They really are a good substitute for a MIA (even though they are put together in the USA).
i was thinking of getting a HW1 P-bass with the graphite necks but to be honest ive never had any trouble with my necks on any bass.
I cant believe adding the rods would change the sound that much.

Edited by dave_bass5