Why become a member? ×

Thinking about this for my first double bass

guitarnbass

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170151902780&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=007[/url]

Can't find anything in shops at this kind of price, it seems about right for a beginner db price wise. What do you think? It's a bit ugly color wise but it is only going to be for practicing I suppose.

I'd look for a well used cheap bass here in the UK - something you can see and try. There are deals around, as long as you're not looking for a fully pro instrument for peanuts. And it will take some time.

Local shops, colleges/teachers and "repairers" are worth a phone call, as well as free listing mags etc. I got my Czech laminate cheapy from a local guitarist who had bought it from a school. Not a great instrument, but its ok (I mainly play EUB for gigs, but if someone really wants an acoustic....). Make sure you budget for new strings, posiible new bridge/endpin....and a set up.

BB

well they said they'd set it up to whatever way I want it for what ever style I'm playing. I have been looking for used cheaper instruments like you mentioned but nothings come up, and I've no vehicle or licence so I'm limited to trying anything I might find in Birmingham only, and of course, there are so many folks looking for exactly the same thing which pushes the prices up a bit too much for me.

[quote name='guitarnbass' post='67691' date='Sep 30 2007, 03:22 PM']well they said they'd set it up to whatever way I want it for what ever style I'm playing. I have been looking for used cheaper instruments like you mentioned but nothings come up, and I've no vehicle or licence so I'm limited to trying anything I might find in Birmingham only, and of course, there are so many folks looking for exactly the same thing which pushes the prices up a bit too much for me.[/quote]

For a start that bas is full size (4/4) you should really be looking for a 3/4 size bass.

I live in birmingham and had the same trouble as you, you just have to be patient and keep an eye out everywhere! Vivastreet, gumtree, ebay, locals adds...on here.

I'll keep my eye out and there are occasionally people upgrading at uni, so will let you know if anything comes up.

Guest Jecklin

Yeah, i'll agree with everything already said.

Don't buy that bass.
It will be utter junk.

China is spewing out a lot of carved top instruments that are infact a sheet of wood steamed into shape , much like a laminate except lacking the laminations meaning it will lose its shape over time. Be very suspicious of a new bass claiming to be a carved top instrument for that sort of money. Also be suspicious of an ebony fingerboard on a bass of that price.

Also ignore any ebay fronted shop that says they will set a bass up for you. They wont. They may make some effort to change the height of the strings depending on what you ask for, but that is is.

The general advice with doublebass gets quite boring and it isn't what people want to hear, but you can not buy a new bass worth owning for much under a grand. It's a fact.

Although bass guitar and double bass are apples and oranges, as a rough rule of thumb you'd need to spend £4000 on a NEW doublebass to get an equivalent quality of a £800-1000 new bass guitar.

Applying that to the ebay bass, you'd be buying a bass guitar for £100 (except it gets even more complicated as it will need repairs etc)

As said a few posts up, if that is your budget you have to look (and look and look and look and wait etc etc) for a second hand bass. With time you will get a bass worth owning for what you want to pay.
Spend that time by getting lessons.

Good luck

Thomas

[quote name='guitarnbass' post='68600' date='Oct 2 2007, 12:34 PM']Oh.. In that case I guess I'll do without for a while.[/quote]
What about [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beautiful-Boosey-Hawkes-3-4-Size-Double-Bass_W0QQitemZ190158981880QQihZ009QQcategoryZ16222QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]this one[/url] at £450? Or, add £9000 to that, for [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pollmann-Poellmann-3-4-Busseto-German-Double-Bass_W0QQitemZ110175191929QQihZ001QQcategoryZ16222QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]this one[/url]? Ow...

Guest Jecklin

The boosey and hawkes one will no doubt go for more, but Is being sold by someone who either has no idea at all about the bass or is being deliberately cagey and naive sounding.

If it's a laminated model it is only really worth £500 s/h tops.

The "strengthening struts" are called linings and every doublebass has them (sometimes they are internal others external)

"chasing" is called purfling and may well be painted on rather than inlaid.

If anyone is seriously interested email the seller about these issues:

Is the bass laminated, carved or a hybrid?
Is the finger board ebony?

I'd want to know the string length (it may be a 5/8ths size>>>so under 40") you want it around 41-42. over 43 is pushing it a bit.

Finally, how high is the bridge? you want it around 6 inches. If the action is low (not necessarily a good thing at all on adouble bass) then the bridge may have been cut down too much and really the bass needs it's neck reset. Not the end of the world but expect to spend another £400 if you want to get it sorted (not that it will add £400 to the value of the bass)

Finally DO NOT buy it if they wont let you try it. There is obviously something wrong if that is the case.

If you try it, like it, it's carved, has an ebony board and has a string length (bridge to nut) of around 41 inches, the bridge is of a good height and you get it for under £800 you will have got a good deal on a starter bass.

Hope this helps

Thomas