Why become a member? ×

Case or a gigbag?

niceguyhomer

I always use a standard Fender Gigbag with a fair bit of padding if I'm taking my bass in the car, or a very lightweight ritter one if I'm just walking down to a pub jam night.

If The Bass is going in someone else's car or the back of a van I'll put it in a "bass centre" hiscox case for a bit more protection.

Given the choice of just one of the options I'd go for a nicely padded gigbag with decent shoulder straps.

I use both - cases for tours (not so often these days ;-) ) and "van" type gigs, and gig bags for rehearsals or car gigs.

Basically if I'm the only one going to carry it then a gig bag but if I am likely to have other people "helping" then I'm more likely to use a hard case.

Cheers
John

[quote name='ZPQ' post='67778' date='Sep 30 2007, 05:54 PM']I use both - cases for tours (not so often these days ;-) ) and "van" type gigs, and gig bags for rehearsals or car gigs.

Basically if I'm the only one going to carry it then a gig bag but if I am likely to have other people "helping" then I'm more likely to use a hard case.

Cheers
John[/quote]Agreed.

[quote name='G-bitch' post='67775' date='Sep 30 2007, 05:50 PM']I'd love an incase bag.[/quote]

+1. I have a Hiscox case, but tend to only use it nowadays if I'm flying. Soft cases are best for my situation, as I tend to use public transport to get to gigs and usually carry a lot of gear with me too.

I try to avoid using hard cases also after a near miss with my case, a 7 year old boy and his very attractive but distracting mother. :)

Edited by s_u_y_*

If the bass is worth any cash, you're cheating yourself unless you get a hard case. Especially if it's getting loaded into the car with amps etc.

That said, I do use a gigbag for practice when I need to leave a cheaper bass in the boot, while I'm parked at work.

And no, I'm not telling you where I work. Who'd want a Yamaha, anyway?

i've had both in recent years, i thought "yeh i'll get a hardcase for my new purchase i'll use it all the time" did i heck as like!! too heavy not enough room for carrying other items such pedals, cables etc plus it would'nt go in the boot of my car out of sight of the scummers. So i bought a ritter gigbag which basically did all that the hardcase did'nt!

Anyway i have a Warwick gigbag now which is more padded than the Ritter to keep my SUB as snug as a bug in a rug!
I'd only buy a hardcase if i had a bigger car and was gigging alot.

[quote name='ped' post='67879' date='Sep 30 2007, 08:45 PM'][url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/rockcase_rc20805b.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/rockcase_rc20805b.htm[/url]

These are good![/quote]

They are, just a little bulky for my needs. They're great for carrying in a car however. My guitarist's hard case slides around and bumps in his boot when he has it in there sometimes. I have one I've been thinking about getting rid of. A bit cheeky to mention it here, but if anyone's interested, give me a PM. I'll get a proper post and some pictures in a bit. :)

Depends on how much you will be carrying it, I used to take a 4003 in a hardcase to practice with a crate power block on my shoulder + a back pack + a 2x10 cab on the metro.... I would have killed for a gig bag in that situation but I couldn't find one that fitted well enough for me to have confidence it would provide the same protection as my hardcase.

It was an utter nightmare but it had to be done, so if you will be handleing the bass alot while transporting it get a gig bag, but if not or it has to be loaded in with other stuff then go hardcase.

Or better yet, get both :)

+1 to what everyone else says ...

but...

as soon as your gear lugging mates see you with a hard case, they assume that gives them the right to stack entire PA rigs on top of it or throw it into the band van from 100 yards.

My hard case now lives in the loft - I always use a decent well padded softy - that never leaves my sight/shoulder when the van is being packed!