Why become a member? ×

Case or a gigbag?

niceguyhomer

I'd say a Hiscox - strong, light, well-made & finished, well-designed and padded interior, comfortable handle and less than £60 (cash) if you haggle. There are many factors to take into account of course - strength, weight, protection, ergonomics, cosmetics, storability/stowability, fittings, ease of use, size, cost etc. - but I think on balance, the hiscox offers a really superb compromise. A lot depends on where/how you'll be using and transporting the bass - I use full flights (far too heavy for me most of the time) and a Kaces 3 bag (excellent and recommended for local and low-risk situations), but it's the Hiscox that gets most use. Good luck! Cheers, Lawrence

Edited by lozbass

+1 for Hiscox - although I sent my old MIJ Precision off in it when I sold it - I've got a couple of OHSCs that I got with my Stingray and Fender P, but they're crap compared to a Hiscox and I'm very tempted to get a couple of Hiscoxes to replace them and stick the other two in the attic for when (if) I sell the basses.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='68193' date='Oct 1 2007, 04:28 PM']A lakland Darryl Hannah 4 with J-Retro and Hipshot Detuner thingy....go on Soulfinger - be the first :)[/quote]

Well... Congrats!!! :huh:

I recently tried one of these (stock passive Skyline), and damn if it wasn´t the nicest Jazz I´ve ever played!

If you happen to let your Stingray go, let me know. :huh:

[quote name='Soulfinger' post='68211' date='Oct 1 2007, 03:56 PM']If you happen to let your Stingray go, let me know. :)[/quote]

Sorry but you're too late - the Stingray funded the Lakland!! I put it up for sale a while ago because my Sterling does the 'Stingray sound' so well albeit with less bottom end and I wanted something to give me a different sound. Anyway, I withdrew it and decided to keep the 'Ray but then a couple of weeks later, another BCer offered me what I paid for it and the the rest is history.

Darryl Hannah, her the actress?

If I had a bass as nice as a Lakland, I'd definitely keep it in a hardcase - the Hiscox ones weigh loads less than anything plywood and tolex, are loads stronger and if you're going to drive it around in your car, you won't have to worry about having to carry it anywhere!!

The handles are good too and if you ask Hiscox nicely, they'll replace it with a nice leather job

I've got my Epiphone 335 in a gator case and by comparison it's a load of flexible rubbish
Don't get me wrong - for £45 it's alright but I wouldn't want to stick it on a plane or anything like that - if you look at dolphin music on ebay, you might be able to pick one up for about £60 shipped or [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HISCOX-LITEFLITE-HARD-GUITAR-CASE-STD-EBS-MODEL_W0QQitemZ300154829598QQihZ020QQcategoryZ20830QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"] this[/url] or try [url="http://www.guitarplans.co.uk"]www.guitarplans.co.uk[/url] who promises to match anybody else's price.

Edited by john_the_bass

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='68238' date='Oct 1 2007, 05:50 PM']Sorry but you're too late - the Stingray funded the Lakland!![/quote]

Oh yeah, I should have known. Never have any luck with the ´Rays.

Re. Darryl Hannah - wouldn´t the preamp of choice be a [i]Fishman[/i]?

Ba-da-boom-splash! :)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='68248' date='Oct 1 2007, 05:00 PM']I used to have a Hiscox for my Spector - lovely case but at £65 it's £18 more than the Gator SC I was just about to order from here [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Gator-GC-Bass~ID~1192.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~G...ass~ID~1192.asp[/url][/quote]

Trust me - the difference is light and day. Gator has all the import costs from the US (or wherever they're made!) in that price and it's a pretty basic case (yes, I used to have one). Hiscox are far, far more sturdy.