Why become a member? ×

flatwound strings

dub

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Sean' post='639689' date='Oct 29 2009, 07:38 AM']Cheers, guys.

If you want a good idea of how versatile flats can be listen to some tracks off the new REM live album. Mike Mills uses flatwounds on his Precision and strikes them with a pick. His tone is just fabulous.[/quote]

On his main fretted Precision? He never used to. Do you know what flats he uses ?

[quote name='Spoombung' post='681158' date='Dec 11 2009, 11:36 AM']Where do you guys buy your strings in the UK? Is there a good website?

I'm after short scale flats that'll fit a Danelectro 30" scale.[/quote]

stringbusters.com or stringsdirect.co.uk are the ones I mainly use.

[quote name='BassBod' post='681205' date='Dec 11 2009, 12:14 PM']I found Thomman had the best selection (including shorts) and good prices..as long as you buy more than one thing so the shipping is worth it. Check the bridge design on your bass as some 30" scale basses need medium (32") strings because of tailpeices etc?[/quote]

Okay... how do I do that? What's the rule for working it out (the scale)?

It's this model:

I was wondering if these would be okay: stringsdirect.co.uk

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/1284-d_addario_ecb_chromes_flat_wound_bass_ecb80_ecb81_ecb82_ecb84_ecb81s_ecb81m_"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/12..._ecb81s_ecb81m_[/url]

I'm assuming it's ball-end to nut (the way of working the scale out)

Edited by Spoombung

Measure nut to 12th fret and double it - that'll give you the scale length of your bass. No need to be precise, all you need to know is whether its closest to 30" or 32". These are the two "standards" that makers work to as defining short or medium.

With that bridge you be ok. Some 30" scale basses like Hofner violins need 32" medium scale strings because the tailpiece is a few inches away from the bridge. Also string-thru body bridges need longer scale strings for the same reason.

Good luck (and check out Pyramid Golds from Thomman. Expensive but very nice)

[quote name='BassBod' post='681356' date='Dec 11 2009, 02:13 PM']Measure nut to 12th fret and double it - that'll give you the scale length of your bass. No need to be precise, all you need to know is whether its closest to 30" or 32". These are the two "standards" that makers work to as defining short or medium.

With that bridge you be ok. Some 30" scale basses like Hofner violins need 32" medium scale strings because the tailpiece is a few inches away from the bridge. Also string-thru body bridges need longer scale strings for the same reason.

Good luck (and check out Pyramid Golds from Thomman. Expensive but very nice)[/quote]

Thanks!

[quote name='fatback' post='681372' date='Dec 11 2009, 02:22 PM']Fretless and flats? What about Mwaah?

I've always imagined that round were a big ingredient of mwaah. Am I wrong?

fatback[/quote]

No, you're right. The flats are going on a fretted bass. I Wouldn't dream of putting them on a fretless.

[quote name='fatback' post='681372' date='Dec 11 2009, 02:22 PM']Fretless and flats? What about Mwaah?

I've always imagined that round were a big ingredient of mwaah. Am I wrong?[/quote]
I think mwaah is dependent on quite a few factors. I get as much growl and mwaah as I could ever want on my fretless SR5 with La Bella flats, but that may be due to the polyester-coated ebony fingerboard. Action seems to play a pretty big part in it too, and technique [i]in both hands[/i] is important.

[quote name='Sean' post='639361' date='Oct 28 2009, 07:23 PM']I got into flats a few years ago when I was playing in a Blues Brothers tribute band and had them on a Jazz, an Aerodyne (P/J) Jazz and a Precision California Series (P/J) and loved them. I always keep one of my Lakland DJs strung with TIs and recently recorded some songs with my covers band with them on the DJ.

I've recently bought a CIJ P from Jonthebass and that came with TIs and it's really made me nuts about them again, they suit a P even more than a J for my taste. I've started gigging with the P and it's given the band a huge textural change when I swap between the P and my Spector NS5 with Elixirs. I use a plectrum with the flatstrung P on a couple of songs too. It's almost as much of a difference as when our guitarist switches from his PRS Custom 24 to his Epiphone Mandobird!

You can hear the tracks if you click [url="http://www.amyandtheaviators.co.uk/Music.htm"]here[/url]

Walking On Sunshine, She Will Be Loved and Take Me To The River (All Lakland DJ with Aero pups)[/quote]

Hi Sean,
Lovely tone, I'm sold on flats now, thanks. 'She Will Be Loved', really nice track.
Best wishes
Mark

I've always imagined that round were a big ingredient of mwaah. Am I wrong?

fatback[/quote]
Flats on my fretless, in fact flats on everything. I haven't been near a round in years.

I get as much mwaah as I need.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bassix' post='695854' date='Dec 29 2009, 07:36 PM']I'm looking to try out some flatwounds for some recording I have coming up. I play in a punk band mainly with pick, any recommendations? Cheers.[/quote]

You can try some Tomastik Infeld (TI) jazz flats, none finer IME.
I had a set on a P bass and it nailed that London Calling bass sound!

Regards,
Jon

Edited by jonthebass

[quote name='benebass' post='695255' date='Dec 28 2009, 11:14 PM']Has anyone tried Status Hotwire flats? I'm looking for a set for a 5 string & they're much cheaper than the likes of Thomastic/La Bella etc. - was wondering if they were any good?

Cheers,

B.[/quote]

Not quite, but I have Status half-rounds on my fretless. They feel as smooth as flats but have more zing to em, they are hands down the best strings I have ever tried for fretless, with TI Jazz Flats and GHS Brite Flats as runners up!

What flat wound strings are best for through body stringing?
I ask as I've read somewhere (and now can't find -d'oh!) that flats can pull apart/separate over the saddles because of the tight break angle.

Would half rounds be the answer, anyone done this?

Regards,
Jon

I've tried LaBella's & found the string tension to be too high for me...& the Thomastiks are too skinny for me (use 110 rounds on P Basses).
Interested in trying Pyramid Gold flats - are they lower tension compared to the LaBella's???
Thanks!