Why become a member? ×

Badass I vs Badass II vs Badass III

Toasted

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='68078' date='Oct 1 2007, 12:29 PM']Badass I does not fit Fender holes.
Badass II does fit Fender holes but does not have through body stringing.
Badass III fits Fender holes and through body stringing.

I think.[/quote]

Badass III has three screw holes plus 4 for strings, Badass II has 5 screw holes only. They are NOT interchangable without further drilling your bass. The II fits older Fenders and MIJ/MIM, whilst the III fits more recent MIA and deluxe and Custom Shop models. IIIs now also come with two sets of saddles, one normal and one 'bright tone', the latter are pre-grooved and made of a different alloy to the older versions, which aparently extends the harmonic response. Or something.
Both are bloody ugly
Chris

They may not be pretty, but do have a greater degree of engineering content than the original Fender/Squier items.
There are other bass bridges out there (ABM, Kahler etc.) and these all have their various merits and de-merits.
The BadAsses do improve the attack/sustain and clarity/harmonic content of notes, giving a more modern tone than the stock items.
Many famous Fender users have them fitted; (and they appear on their signature instruments also)

Marcus Miller
Mike Dirnt
Geddy Lee
Steve Harris (no signature that I'm aware of)

This at least gives you an opportunity to A/B a BadAssed (!) Fender Model against a Non-BadAssed model.
Lots of people here own Marcus Miller/Geddy Lee Jazzes. They're well regarded instruments, on the whole. I've never seen any complaints aimed at the bridges (yet!)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='68144' date='Oct 1 2007, 01:53 PM']They may not be pretty, but do have a greater degree of engineering content than the original Fender/Squier items.
There are other bass bridges out there (ABM, Kahler etc.) and these all have their various merits and de-merits.
The BadAsses do improve the attack/sustain and clarity/harmonic content of notes, giving a more modern tone than the stock items.
Many famous Fender users have them fitted; (and they appear on their signature instruments also)

Marcus Miller
Mike Dirnt
Geddy Lee
Steve Harris (no signature that I'm aware of)

This at least gives you an opportunity to A/B a BadAssed (!) Fender Model against a Non-BadAssed model.
Lots of people here own Marcus Miller/Geddy Lee Jazzes. They're well regarded instruments, on the whole. I've never seen any complaints aimed at the bridges (yet!)[/quote]

All true, no complaints, they are great bridges, but perhaps the need for such hi-fi tine and the design of the bridge was a function of its time (i.e., 1970s). A lot of players - myself included - have reverted to original Fender bridges, which are, in keeping with many aspects of Fender's craftsmanship, somewhat cruder but have a tonal quality of their own. My '73 Precision, which has a lovely low growly thump with the original bridge, sounded much less so when I installed a Badass, so I re-installed the original. Like so many other things in music, the idea that a technology 'improves' something such as tone is more accurately stated as technology 'changes' that thing. 'Improvement' is a very subjective term.
Having said that, I have a Badass II on my fretless Precision!
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='68171' date='Oct 1 2007, 02:45 PM']All true, no complaints, they are great bridges, but perhaps the need for such hi-fi tine and the design of the bridge was a function of its time (i.e., 1970s). A lot of players - myself included - have reverted to original Fender bridges, which are, in keeping with many aspects of Fender's craftsmanship, somewhat cruder but have a tonal quality of their own. My '73 Precision, which has a lovely low growly thump with the original bridge, sounded much less so when I installed a Badass, so I re-installed the original. Like so many other things in music, the idea that a technology 'improves' something such as tone is more accurately stated as technology 'changes' that thing. 'Improvement' is a very subjective term.
Having said that, I have a Badass II on my fretless Precision!
Chris[/quote]

I have a BAII on my Squier 70's VMJ, but a Fender unit on my 2004 MIA Jazz. The Attitude still has its standard (hefty) brass bridge...
Different sounds for different basses. It'd be dull if they all sounded the same!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='68322' date='Oct 1 2007, 07:11 PM']I have a BAII on my Squier 70's VMJ, but a Fender unit on my 2004 MIA Jazz. The Attitude still has its standard (hefty) brass bridge...
Different sounds for different basses. It'd be dull if they all sounded the same![/quote]

Indeed, couldn't have put it better
Chris