Why become a member? ×

The eternal amateur

NAS

Hi all, was g4ui83tp2 on BW and BT (just an easy to remember jumble when most combinations of Nick were always taken already).
First attempted to play bass back in the late 60's and joined a college band in '71. Was the worst ever bass player but loved joining in. Even managed to sing and play when the two parts were really simple (I'm Waiting For My Man).
Tried to take music seriously for a year playing 'cello (my true instrument in my youth) with Paul Brett and Mike Piggott '72-'73, even co-wrote one song on the resulting album, but unlike them I don't really have the music gene switched on and find playing a continual challenge.
So, to the late '90s and a desire to recapture a bit of my youth after what seemed like a lifetime in corporate IT. Started playing with some local north London bands from bluegrass to indie/punk and then moved on to covers bands and tried to develop a bit of a repertoire. Used millennium bonuses to acquire some lovely basses, most now sadly gone.
Currently Modulus Q4 with passive Villex pickups, Status Smartbass with passive soapbars and Status Vintage custom (J neck) with passive PJ pickups. SWR SM900 into Epifani UL210 + UL115 for band gigs with drums, Ashdown ABM-C210T-300 for home studio, SWR Workingmans 12 for acoustic gigs. Pretty standard D'Addario and Status roundwound strings for fingerstyle playing. Always liked a low action.
Being my age (55) was brought up with Jamerson, Dunn, McCartney, Wyman, Bruce, Entwhistle and co as early influences. Fell in love with what the Grateful Dead were doing and would sell my soul to be able to do what Phil Lesh does. Would steal one of Richard Bona's little fingers given the chance.
Left London and headed for my wife's family pile in the country about a year ago so out in the sticks (Worcestershire) and would love to find some more playing opportunities and someone nearby to give me some lessons and help with the lack of discipline.
Attempting a bit of a link up with bassists up here via a Bass Bash - hope it comes off.
Thanks to all the guys who keep these sites going and share their enthusiasm and expertise - great sanity preserver.
Best to all, Nick S

Hello from one newbie to another :)

I live in Worcester so if ever fancy a meet-up please PM me.

Although on a bass playing ability scale of 1-10, where 1= you have no fingers and 10= you're a god,

I'm about a 2 1/2 :huh:

Hi Mark,
Sounds like a plan.
You'll see from this thread - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=307&st=0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=307&st=0[/url]
that I've become ravelled up in trying to arrange a Midlands Bass Bash day. Would you be interested?
I'll PM you contact details.
Nick S

Yes, this is the most recent, a Status Vintage custom with jazz profile neck and passive PJ pickups. Rob Green thought the figured ash top was so pretty he shouldn't cover it with the standard scratch plate, although he made me one anyway in case someone wanted it in the future. My favourite at the moment. Nick S

[quote name='subaudio' post='5752' date='May 24 2007, 02:02 PM']Welcome sir, nice bass in yer pic, Status?[/quote]