Why become a member? ×

Stuck in a rut

Huw

Hey all,

I haven't been playing bass too intensely for the past couple of years, focusing more on my guitar playing. Well, as events conspire against me (having my guitars stolen and landing a bassist role with a new band) I find myself with a need to get my bass juices flowing, again. If you'll pardon the metaphor.

I've pretty much learnt the band's material with little fuss, but I can't really take it any further and it all sounds a bit flat right now. I think this is mainly down to the lack of my bass repertoire; If it's not a bassline from one of my bands' songs, I probably don't know how to play it. I think the last thing I learnt was how to fudge my way through Portrait of Tracy.

Every time I sit down with my bass - even just for my own enjoyment - I don't have any idea what to play. It wasn't always like this; when you start learning, all you want to do is learn more and more new stuff. I must have lost that somewhere along the way.

So I'm looking for a bit of inspiration here, boys and girls. Any songs or bass-lines I should be checking out or trying to learn that'll both sound good and actually help me learn new things? I'd really like to try some solo bass chordal pieces or maybe even some Bach. I'm basically trying to put together a list of stuff to listen to and then try and learn.

Sorry if this is a bit vague, but I'm into a lot of stuff from motown/funk to crazy alt rock and metal. I'd love to have a go at some complicated slap stuff like sikth/mudvayne/wooten/claypool but I'm way off from that at the moment.

I actually bought the "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" book, but alas all the lines are written in standard notation and I can't read it, so I gave up pretty quickly. That was a couple of years ago.

Perhaps learning to read should be one of my first goals.

Cheers.

The best thing I did after 5 years in a band, the last few being seriously board, was find a new band. It may sound a bit extreme and it was hard leaving some good friends behind but it's a new group of musicians with different tastes in music etc. It's been like a breath of fresh air for my playing and I've actually been enjoying gigging again... Just a thought.

[quote name='Huw' post='68696' date='Oct 2 2007, 03:43 PM']I actually bought the "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" book, but alas all the lines are written in standard notation and I can't read it, so I gave up pretty quickly. That was a couple of years ago.

Perhaps learning to read should be one of my first goals.

Cheers.[/quote]

Go for it Huw!

Let me know if you want some simple notation sheets.

I have a tabbed version of What's Goin On but you're not getting it now you've shown interest in notation :)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='68701' date='Oct 2 2007, 04:00 PM']I do things that really stretch me...[/quote]

Likewise - the only basslines I've learnt verbatim in a long time have been Jaco's. I cope other bassists's feels and ideas but rarely note for note.

How about writing some material for this new band?

Alex

Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read,

But seriously, learning to read takes you to places you would otherwise not go and it is by far the most marketable skill you can have as a player - read and you will work. Start with walking bass lines and, over the next decade expand into more sophisticated stuff like saxophone solos etc. If you can read, you can work almost anywhere and do it quickly.

Best thing you could ever work on and progress, whilst slow, is its own inspiration.

Edited by bilbo230763

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='69384' date='Oct 4 2007, 10:24 AM']Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read, Learn to read,[/quote]

What does this say?

I've booked my first bass lesson in ages for Saturday. Hopefully that should set me on the path.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='69387' date='Oct 4 2007, 10:27 AM']But seriously, learning to read takes you to places you would otherwise not go and it is by far the most marketable skill you can have as a player - read and you will work. Start with walking bass lines and, over the next decade expand into more sophisticated stuff like saxophone solos etc. If you can read, you can work almost anywhere and do it quickly.

Best thing you could ever work on and progress, whilst slow, is its own inspiration.[/quote]
God I wish.
When I started guitar lessons years ago the tutors gave up on trying to teach me to read. The best comment was "your not reading the music are you? You are just listening to what I play and copying it."
Yes I was. My Mother could play piano by ear, (not literally), and I seem to have the same "trait".
I would LOVE to be able to read and agree that even learning the basice of reading would help enormously.

Starting bass lessons (January this year) was probably the smartest thing I've done in years.

+1 on the Jamerson book, and standard notation is not that bad if you actually know the bass-line anyway. It's only a real pain (for a non-reader) if you're relying on it to tell you what the bass is supposed to sound like.

If you want a quick way to revive your interest in learning new stuff, dig out the music you enjoyed listening to as a teenager and just try to play along. I think you'll find that within minutes you're thinking "Hey, I always wanted to be able to play this line, and now I can.".

+1 on the learning to read.

Also, you could take a few jazz standards and pick them apart - work on learning them 4 ways:

The melody
The chords
A walking bassline
A nice improvised solo.

This will build up your playing from a whole bunch of different angles.

That should keep you busy for years... there are lots of great standards out there..

i find if i don't know what to play, i learn my favourtie songs. even easy stuff like blink 182 where its just the root being played as quavers makes me much more into my bass. then i start learning stuff thats going to improve my playing, like slap lines or funk lines. Red Hot Chilis is a great balance for me, i find i learn something new with every song i learn, but it is enjoyable to learn because i am a fan.

on the other hand- soul man by (i think) sam and dave is a cool line, try learning that

Edited by lwtait

You could always spend a while with Sibelius, converting the notation to notation & tablature. Do this with a bass on your lap and you'll gradually be learning through it too!!

I teach all my students with notation and tab as although reading is a VERY important skill to have, sometimes you can focus elsewhere and still learn a lot; tackling notation when you make the conscious decision too rather than having to to learn a line.

Dan

If you know anyone good at reading I've been told that a good way to get started with it is to transcribe bass lines you already know. That will teach you a whole lot about what note goes where and if you can find someone to play it back to you (or chuck it on your computer and let that sort it out) you'll get a good idea of how accurate you are with it.

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='Breakfast' post='70764' date='Oct 7 2007, 07:08 PM']If you know anyone good at reading I've been told that a good way to get started with it is to transcribe bass lines you already know. That will teach you a whole lot about what note goes where and if you can find someone to play it back to you (or chuck it on your computer and let that sort it out) you'll get a good idea of how accurate you are with it.[/quote]

Hi, Is there a free or much cheaper version of Sibelius available to download to be able to do this on - and play back / print off the transcription?

Thanks

I've found the [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Pages-Leonard-Publishing-Corporation/dp/0634033263/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/203-3244317-1610347?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194302045&sr=8-1"]Bass Tab White Pages [/url]to be really good at covering loads of songs from a range of styles, (Rock, Metal, Motown, R&B, Pop...) most of which I've heard of too. And it includes lots of great basslines so whether it's 'Sir Duke' or 'My Generation' there is plenty to get a bit of inspiration from.

It has both notation and tab for all 200 songs.

Learn to read for sure, but also if you have an inkling of an interest, learning to create walking basslines over standard changes is the most rewarding thing I ever did. The possibilities are endless and will stretch your ears (not literally, although I think I might have just invented a cool new spectator sport) into harmonic areas you didn't know existed.
Jake
P.S Hi from a fellow Cardiffian