Why become a member? ×

Expression pedals

Finbar

Okay, so I picked up a Boss PS-5, with the intention of using it like a whammy, with an external expression pedal. I was wondering what choices I have for the pedal though.

I'm prepared to spend the money to get a decent one, but not MASSIVE amounts - I'll probably go second hand if possible anyway.

But yeh, something with a decent travel action, and good durability is really all an expression pedal needs, I think... Any suggestions?

Thankyouns ^_^

[quote name='Finbar' post='68875' date='Oct 2 2007, 11:43 PM']As it happens, there was one of those Alesis ones on eBay going for a song, so I snapped it up. I guess we'll see how good it is when both the PS-5 and the expression pedal itself arrive, which should be over the next 2 days I would imagine :)[/quote]

If it works as a volume pedal as well and you don't like it let me know, I keep meaning to get a volume pedal (again)

[quote name='Finbar' post='68880' date='Oct 3 2007, 12:09 AM']It should work as one as well, and I already have an EB volume, so I'll keep that in mind :)[/quote]

Make up (or buy) an "insert" cable and use your EB volume pedal as an expression pedal. The EB pedals are much better than the cheap efforts that are out there otherwise.

Well although I already have an EB volume, I intend to keep it as a volume, and have a dedicated pedal just for the PS-5. I'd probably use a second EB pedal if the wallet would stretch!

Think if I end up selling one or the other, it'd be the Alesis though :)

Okay, so here's the update:

The volume pedal function on the Alesis works pretty well. With the switch on the back, it'll do position up or position down as your zero volume point, though the position up one seems a little counterintuitive! With the resistance set to it's lowest, the pedal stays exactly where you put it. Makes your volume louder or quieter, exactly what it says on the tin.

The expression pedal bit is perplexing me though.

Just like with the volume setting, the switch on the back just changes whether the zero point is in the up or down position. After a certain point, the expression pedal stops affecting the signal, and goes back to an unaffected signal, even with the pedal at its fullest extension. While I tightened the resistance screw to stop this happening, the end result was still less than satisfactory.

When using the pedal, I don't seem to get the pitch shift effect I wanted from the PS-5. I just seem to get a very strong chorus kind of sound. The pedal is definitely set up for pitch shifting, not the detune, tremolo or flutter features, and the delay time is set to 0. The pitch does seem to shift slightly, but not to the intervals I'm shifting it to. It always ends up as some very dischordant note, nowhere near what it's supposed to be.

I'm guessing a Roland one would work better - is this just due to the way the Alesis works?

I really actually would prefer a Whammy. Only things putting me off are 1) I've heard a lot of stuff about the Whammy being notoriously easy to break, and 2) I don't want a separate power supply just for the Whammy, when I already have a 12v and a 9v PSU on the board. Is there a way around this?

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Finbar

[quote name='Finbar' post='70863' date='Oct 7 2007, 11:51 PM']I'm guessing a Roland one would work better - is this just due to the way the Alesis works?

I really actually would prefer a Whammy. Only things putting me off are 1) I've heard a lot of stuff about the Whammy being notoriously easy to break, and 2) I don't want a separate power supply just for the Whammy, when I already have a 12v and a 9v PSU on the board. Is there a way around this?[/quote]

Could be the Alesis and it's values but no expression pedal builder are really helpful in what of their stuff works with other stuff.

Not broken mine yet :)

and No for the power supply unless you get something custom built.

Whammy is 12VAC that's the important part AC I got a maplin power supply for mine and its huge and very heavy only thing I know that powers it is the Voodoo Labs AC Power but kinda a waste if you've only got one AC pedal so go buy some EHX pedals :)

I've currently not got any expression or volume pedals I don't have anything that needs one, but I do want a volume pedal but I'm looking at the more expensive units like the Visual Volume and the Ernie Balls both work as expression pedals but it's all about the taper of the pot used which could be the problem with the Alesis but no pot is 100% smooth they all have a jump somewhere in them, even the visual volume you might be able to get past this with an optical one like a Morley Little Alligator but I don't know if it works as an exp pedal.

[quote name='Finbar' post='70877' date='Oct 8 2007, 12:39 AM']Bit of a question then - do you happen to know anyone who custom builds that kind of thing? And what kind of price you'd be looking at?[/quote]

This could do you whole board inc a whammy but it's big, expensive and your really pushing the draw on it with a Whammy 4.

[url="http://www.tonefactor.com/proddetail.php?prod=Flatliner"]http://www.tonefactor.com/proddetail.php?prod=Flatliner[/url]