Why become a member? ×

Pole Piece Height

Steve Woodcock

If thet are adjustable poles then an Allen key is all you need. You can of course alter the whole pup hieght but thats not what your asking.

If they are not adjustable poles (ie grub scew with Allen socket in teh top) re setting the height is a major feat of engineering that will proabably destroy themin the process...

Pics would be useful!

Just as a bit of background info;

Why do you need to adjust the pole-piece height?
Is it to match stringe-to-string output levels? (The following ideas are based on this assumption)

If so, I'd ask the obvious question- Have you tried changing your strings for

i) A new set
ii) A different make, gauge or type (assuming that's acceptable!)

Finally, is there a set-up compromise that could be made to ameliorate the problems that you are experiencing?
Could you tweak the action of the offending string to compensate? Might be worth a go.

Usually, adjustable pole-pieces are immediately obvious. They're usually threaded around the outside edge, and have recessed allen/hex key heads to permit adjustment. Non-adjustable pole-pieces are more common.

One other idea (if it's a G or E that's offending) is to tilt the pick up at that end (G or E) up or down to compensate. It won't affect the opposite string, and the effects on the middle two (D & A) will be minimal...

Don't try pushing these pole pieces, as already mentioned, you may well break the internal magnet/copper wiring connection. I fitted a set of Di Marzio's that have adjustable pole pieces that use an allen key. The thing is even then I altered the height on one of the pole pieces too far and defeated the signal until I dropped it down again. Good pickups for the job though.

[quote name='Stickman' post='68883' date='Oct 3 2007, 12:32 AM']Does anyone know if it is possible to change the height of the pole pieces on 'USA Vintage J-Bass' pickups (as found on a CIJ '62 reissue Fender Jazz bass)?[/quote]

[quote name='The Burpster' post='68903' date='Oct 3 2007, 06:55 AM']If thet are adjustable poles then an Allen key is all you need. You can of course alter the whole pup hieght but thats not what your asking.[/quote]

No, they are not threaded and nor do they have an Allen key socket unfortunately.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='68944' date='Oct 3 2007, 09:27 AM']Why do you need to adjust the pole-piece height?[/quote]

I like the contour of the strings to match that of the fingerboard, and my Willis basses have got me accustomed to a pickup that does the same. I need to alter the pole pieces firstly for consistent string to string volume as you'd rightly guessed, and secondly because I sometimes catch my fingertip on the edge of the furthest G-string pole piece...

[quote name='Stickman' post='69668' date='Oct 4 2007, 08:05 PM']No, they are not threaded and nor do they have an Allen key socket unfortunately.
I like the contour of the strings to match that of the fingerboard, and my Willis basses have got me accustomed to a pickup that does the same. I need to alter the pole pieces firstly for consistent string to string volume as you'd rightly guessed, and secondly because I sometimes catch my fingertip on the edge of the furthest G-string pole piece...[/quote]

Check out the Fender noiseless pickups. The pole pieces are at staggered heights to match the radius of the fingerboard. UK prices are between £80 and £110 on ebay.

[quote name='Stickman' post='69668' date='Oct 4 2007, 08:05 PM']No, they are not threaded and nor do they have an Allen key socket unfortunately.
I like the contour of the strings to match that of the fingerboard, and my Willis basses have got me accustomed to a pickup that does the same. I need to alter the pole pieces firstly for consistent string to string volume as you'd rightly guessed, and secondly because I sometimes catch my fingertip on the edge of the furthest G-string pole piece...[/quote]

Check out the Fender noiseless pickups. The pole pieces are at staggered heights to match the radius of the fingerboard. UK prices are between £80 and £110 on ebay.

[quote name='Stickman' post='71190' date='Oct 8 2007, 07:06 PM']Cool, thanks. Is that the one on the 9th? I have no idea what Mark is booking at the moment...[/quote]

I think it's 9th November at the Arkright Arms. The Walkabout have ditched their promoter and with it all of her bookings, hence the move.

Reminds me, I need to pester Mark about our next rehearsal.