Why become a member? ×

How can I improve finger strength and independence

Chappers86

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1453458628' post='2959636']...
I need bigger hands.
[/quote]

Would there be any mileage in tuning the 'G' string to 'A' for this song..? That'll help the arpeggio stretch for the second chord. The 'D' could go up to 'E', too, so effectively tuning the bass specifically for those chords. Any help..?
As an exercise (only...), one can gradually increase stretch by playing those arpeggios from, say, the 5th fret, then going down a fret, then another, until the stretch becomes comfortable. Don't try too hard for too long, or damage could result. Exercise will do the job, but it doesn't come any quicker than the body will allow, so patience is required, not insistence.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1453467243' post='2959741']
Would there be any mileage in tuning the 'G' string to 'A' for this song..? That'll help the arpeggio stretch for the second chord. The 'D' could go up to 'E', too, so effectively tuning the bass specifically for those chords. Any help..?
[/quote]
retuning before and after a song, mid set....I don't think so

Have you considered playing the C# and G# arpeggios slightly differently?

I gave it a try, and found that if I played as legato as possible but didn't try to hold hown the root note(but did hold the fifth and added 9), that as long as everything was smooth and even, then the root note not sustaining throughout wasn't a big deal (IMHO anyway) as the upper notes of the chord draw attention of the ear directly. Took me a few tries to get the shift really smooth so that there wasn't any discernable gap between the root and fifth, but it made it really comfortable to play without sounding much different.

Edited by SubsonicSimpleton

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1453473621' post='2959815']

I gave it a try, and found that if I played as legato as possible but didn't try to hold hown the root note(but did hold the fifth and added 9), that as long as everything was smooth and even, then the root note not sustaining throughout wasn't a big deal
[/quote]
Yeah i played it like that the other night at rehearsal but Mr Guitard (who wrote this dismal ditty) was critical and insistent that i practice holding it down...he was watching my every move.
I too thought it was OK to lose the root, especially once the guitar comes in....
but Mr Guitard can get a bit anal about these things at times.

I might try the retuning idea but knowing my band they're not going to wait for me between songs..

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1453475207' post='2959829']...
I might try the retuning idea but knowing my band they're not going to wait for me between songs..
[/quote]

Do you have a second bass, 'pre-tuned', that you could rapidly swap to..? Just a suggestion.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1453476138' post='2959838']
Do you have a second bass, 'pre-tuned', that you could rapidly swap to..? Just a suggestion.
[/quote]

Most of my gigs are overseas (apparently we're big in the Med!!) so i only take the one bass with me.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1453477845' post='2959876']
Maybe you should hand the guitarist your bass and politely request that he demonstrate playing the part exactly the way he wants it played throughout the whole song, or invite him to provide you with a quality short scale bass at his expense.
[/quote]

LOL....and he's smaller than me...hahaha