Why become a member? ×

Parts-O-Jazz - what would you pay?

john_the_bass

Advice please - I've seen a partsojazz I like the look of - Mighty Mite Neck, Badass, D-Tuner, but body and electronics are of origin unknown.
Comes with a hardcase. Price seems reasonable, but I expect it probably wouldn't cost more than a couple of hundred to put together, depending on what the electronics are.

Any thoughts? I'm half tempted as I could do with (yet) another electric guitar for the band I am earning in and could part with one of my Precisions and pick this up in it's place.

+1 with the ferret on this ....... Value depends entirely on the quality of the build......

It could be a pile of 5hite, worth less than any one of teh components......

It could be a gem with more Mojo than Howling Wolf, and worth several hundred squids....

You gotta see and play (with) it! Thne you wil know how much you are prepared to spend on it.

However parting with a P bass is not a good idea IMO, you'll regret it!

then again, bosy and electronics are of unknown origin - could be a ply body and some really crappy pickups - maybe even genuine Fender pickups for a standard jazz.

So, I'd check ebay for the cost of a mighty mite neck, badass and D-tuner and work on the assumption that the rest is crap.

taking the above on board, this is it

I like the look of it and i've no idea what it sounds or plays like as it is a good couple of hundred miles away from me and I've not heard back from the fella who's selling it. I know what he's asking and I know what I'd possibly pay for it without sounding terribly cryptic!

I've got a couple of precisions and I don't mind selling one - I was using one with rounds and one with flats, but hell - what do you need a precision with rounds on for anyway?!! I thought this would do nicely for a cheapish 3rd bass if I needed a back up when one of the others was in bits.

[quote name='Beedster' post='69082' date='Oct 3 2007, 02:37 PM']Looks alright to me! Badass looks a bit small though, unless it's a III?[/quote]

That's a very good point Chris - I hadn't thought of that, it almost looks as if it's set a bit too far forward. I've never actually seen a bass with a badass on (yeah I know!!!), but looking at pics I've compared them with, isn't the ball end of the badass a lot closer to the edge of the guitar?

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='69084' date='Oct 3 2007, 02:55 PM']That's a very good point Chris - I hadn't thought of that, it almost looks as if it's set a bit too far forward. I've never actually seen a bass with a badass on (yeah I know!!!), but looking at pics I've compared them with, isn't the ball end of the badass a lot closer to the edge of the guitar?[/quote]

Well it's got three screws and it's quite narrow so it's a I or a III. TBH it doesn't look like either to me! Could be a ringer, which might tell you about how honest the seller is though? You can pick up Badass 'style' bridges for about a fiver on ebay!