Why become a member? ×

Aguilar DB112

Chopthebass

[quote name='The Funk' post='69368' date='Oct 4 2007, 09:34 AM']Tell 'em why, otherwise it looks a bit blunt.[/quote]

From the Acme site:

"In fact, a bass-reflex enclosure, at the frequencies where the port contributes to the system’s output, is a pressure device, as opposed to a wave device. So the interaction of the enclosure and the port, and the port's position with respect to the woofer, itself, are unaffected by any directional activity. Direction is utterly unimportant. By way of illustration, examine another pressure-related model, a balloon. As you inflate a balloon, does it expand on one direction only, or in all directions at once?

The Omnidirectionality of Low Frequencies:

Only after a port’s output leaves the cabinet, and enters the environment, does it assume the characteristics of a wave, one of which is direction of propagation. Direction does assume importance when speaking of waves. Only, however, at frequencies where the size of the source is large compared to the wavelength under consideration. The highest frequencies at which the port in our Low-B systems contribute to system output have wavelengths of 14 feet or so. The speakers are obviously quite small compared to these wavelengths, and the port output is omnidirectional. Again, port placement is irrelevant to system performance."

Most cabs are tuned higher than their 31Hz tuning frequency - like 40-50Hz. Even tuned as high as 60Hz the wavelengths involved are longer than 7 feet and thus still omnidirectional from any port.

Alex

They're quite new and not the cheapest or lightest. I presume they've gone for a more powerful magnet structure compared to the GS112 to increase the midrange sensitivity at the expense of some fatness in the lows. Also it looks like they've used a stiffer cab construction to clean up and tighten the mids and lows. The thing that's really special about them is how cool they look!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='69708' date='Oct 4 2007, 09:14 PM']compared to the GS112 to increase the midrange sensitivity at the expense of some fatness in the lows.[/quote]

I'm hoping they will cope with a low B without any problem. They have the same low frequency handling as the GS. They are heavy for a 1x12, but still better than lugging a 4x10 around! I'm surprised they only have one handle though.

I took the plunge earlier and ordered three of them, in monster green. The tweed is nice though!

I'll let the forum know what I think of them, also the DB750. Should be a nice compact rig.

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='69716' date='Oct 4 2007, 09:23 PM']I'm hoping they will cope with a low B without any problem.[/quote]

Should do - probably better than the GS112 as the reduced lows will mean the speaker is less likely to run out of Xmax. Just remember that they're only 1x12" cabs - if they sound unhappy, add another. Three should be ridiculous (in a good way)!

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='69716' date='Oct 4 2007, 09:23 PM']They have the same low frequency handling as the GS.[/quote]

That's another one of those useless specs - best ignored!

Alex

Not gonna argue with Alex the Guru, but it seemed intuitive to me that rear ported cabs would be more sensitive to boundary reinforcement from the wall behind than a front ported cab.

Although they should not be compared most rear ported hi-fi cabs recommend being 1m from the back wall but then i've always thought it ridiculous when you read the reviews and it says you should have your speakers 1m from back and side walls - most of us dont have rooms that big :)