Why become a member? ×

Please dont burn me for this....

TGEvans

Hey all, want to know if any of you guys are big enough to list other instruments you may play, if so what and what gear do you use. This may have been done before. I am only asking because I have recently purchased a new guitar and marshall amp. I am a bass player first, but still like to dabble. I do feel bad about it though.....ah well.Anyone else?

I actually started off as a Saxophone player; mainly Tenor Sax (Yamaha YTS-62) and Soprano (Selmer Mk6), but had my 4 front teeth knocked out playing rugby. I sold the Soprano sax a while back but still keep my old Yamaha lying aorund.

I still toot a bit, but not with any real heart. I'm happy playing bass at the moment.

I started on drums when I was 12 then switched to bass at 14. I can still give the drums a decent wallop but I'm not too steady these days.

This year I decided that I'd done everything that I could realistically do on bass and so decided to diversify. It was a great decision and I've decided to start by learning 'funk guitar' so its lots of minor 6, minor 7 and 11th chords for me!

I got a beat up Custom Chandler Strat, cheap korean made Ibanez copy with a walnut facing (which is for sale for £80) and I'm looking for a 1x12 valve combo (preferably a Burman) to go with my Lexicon MPX-G2. I'm really happy with that set up when I've used my Burman heads.

I've also got a rack of synths including:
EMU Virtuoso
EMU Vintage Keys Pro
EMU Vintage Keys Classic (for sale but not listed yet)
Yamaha CS6R
MIDIMAN 24 channel rackmounted mixer and
Yamaha HS50 monitors
Roland PC200 keyboard controller which I need to upgrade as it doesn't have enough keys.

I'm looking for an Axon AX100 pitch to midi convertor for the Shuker midi bass I'm about to commission, which will be on its way hopefully before Christmas.

Last thing will be to get a Roland or Yamaha electronic drum kit but I don't have enough room for it at the moment until I buy a 2 brm flat.

Started on bass and I've always played bass in a band however I took to playing guitar 10 years or so back and I have a love afair with 12 string acoustics! I've decided to learn the clarinet so that I can experience first hand the difficulties of learning an instrument alien to my normal listening or playing.

i started playing bass about 20 years ago, and started teaching myself guitar about 13 years ago when i realised that [i]someone[/i] had to play guitar on my demos :)

i play a bit of keyboards too.

it all adds together...makes you a better musician...so it's a good thing right ?

Edited by ahpook

Since I got interested in playing music almost 35 years ago, I've played guitar and synth, as well as bass, in all the different bands I've been involved with. Guitar is where I started, but bass is the instrument I keep coming back to. There was an interesting article in one of the US Bass mags a while back about why bass players tend to make good producers, because they are more likely to 'hear' the whole song as they tend to be providing both the melodic and rhythmic foundation. Personally I think that playing another instrument is beneficial as it gives you a better idea about how the elements of a piece of music can fit together.

Started off on Trumpet when I was was a wee youngun, went through the forced keyboard stage at school. Somewhere in there I dropped Trumpet totally (bit of a shame, but I was too young to grasp breathing techniques), got a bass when I was 16, havn't learnt much as I don't apply myself. Also started to pick up a guitar this year.

I have a dabble at the old ivories... I play "cross harp" (diatonic harmonica)... I can sing... I play acoustic guitar...

I'm useless at drumming... great with two hands, but the moment I'm asked to introduce a foot into the equation... oh dear, completely lose the plot... I cannot for the life of me play a different rhythm with my feet to my hands...

Got started on piano at 6 by my parents, took revenge by getting heavily into drums at 12, taught myself trumpet at 18 and finally took up the bass two years ago. Played semi-pro as a drummer and lots of gigs on trumpet.

I retired my horns some time ago but pick up a pair of sticks or brushes every now and then.

Edited by Soulfinger

Started on trombone, graduated quickly to bass trombone, started playing bass guitar (some 16 years ago now) quickly moved to fretless 5...

Also play a few chords on keys, likewise on guitar and recently started playing drums (just for fun) - something I've always wanted to do :)

However, main instrument these days is bass and always will be - still playing trombone but only the odd bits and pieces (doesn't really work too well after 12 months in the box!)

It's good to make some noise, what ever your weapon of choice :huh:

Electric bass for 3 years (I know I know i've a long way to go!!)
Shakuhachi for 6 months, started when I was in Japan.
Bodhran for about a week....it's a fun instrument to play and the first time i've played percussion so it helps me to understand bass more!

Bass was my first instrument, but I have dabbled on keyboards & other high-tech gear, and still own a Kawai K5000S and Akal MPC1000.
Weirdest of all: I learned the Highland bagpipes, under the guidance of a Black Watch veteran, in South Africa, though I no longer keep that up. (It has to be the most limited, and limiting, musical instrument in existence.)

Bass 1st, guitar 2nd, drums 3rd then its a slow decline into less than average vocals (enough to be able to write and record as an outline for a real singer) and the same with piano, I'm crap at it but can play enough for them to get the idea.

I also have a Mandolin/banjo which seem fairly easy to play. Though not seriously.

Started on organ, learned keyboards later, still cant get the hang of proper piano style playing though (theres a difference)
Played sax n quit coz i didnt like it lol
Always bin pretty good on the recorder
A tad of acoustic guitar (no more than a tad)
And now im learning this funny instrument.... i think its called a bass :)

Oh and triangle and cowbell :huh:

I play in an acoustic band so at the moment swap between bass and acoustic guitar/mandola. I have just bought an electric guitar (Godin Solidac) as I'm putting together a post-rock band with another mate, we will swap between bass and guitar duties so for each song one of us will be on bass, the other guitar. I used to be exclusively bass but realise these days that, despite my claimed love of bass exclusivity, the real reason for not stepping out to other instruments was a lack of cash! If it wasn't for the expenditure I would have bought a guitar rig years ago. As I've got older I've realised its fun to mash it up a bit playing-wise.