Why become a member? ×

Volume Pedal problem

Finbar

My Ernie Ball 6166 volume pedal is prducing large amounts of background noise when it's nearly fully up, like between the 70 and 90% up positions. It's alright when its on full, but it's horrible for volume swells :/ What's the problem? Even if its just some cleaning it needs, I wouldn't know where to clean it :/

[quote name='ahpook' post='69742' date='Oct 4 2007, 10:21 PM']i've no idea what the inside of one looks like....
...or else i'd help.
can you post pic of the innards ?[/quote]

The innards are a pot and a piece of string.

Is there anything near it that hasn't been previously, like lights or a new pedal.

To clean it u need some contact cleaner and just spray it into the pot I'm talking about, there isn't much in these pedals so shouldn't be hard to find.

Hope this helps

^^ Yep - most likely to be dirt in the pot or a worn out pot. Try squirting some electrical contact cleaner (e.g. Super Servisol but NOT WD40) into the innards of the pot to see if that helps. If it doesn't then the pot might need repaced. This isn't usually a difficult job but does require soldering.

The only new thing in/near the effects chain has been a new Boss pedal, but I've run it as just bass -> volume -> amp, with no power to the Boss pedal already, to check if it was noisy or anything.

There was no problem at our last practice with my Marshall amp, it's only happened the one time I've used it since with my Roland amp at home, so I'll see if the problem still happens the next time I use it with my Marshall rig, and if it does, I'll take some action and look at getting some cleaner. Thanks :)

Train of thought here, but I can't actually fit the pedal on the Diago Gigman board I've borrowed off my guitarist - if anyone has a Showman board they'd be willing to let go of, let me know :huh:

Cheers,

Chris