Why become a member? ×

Purists Unite!!

fusionbassist1

I was recently refered to as a 'purist' by one of my lecturers. By this he was refering to my preference of older valve gear, passive old vintage sounding pups and exclusive use of two finger picking on stage. I've always known i was a bit retro in my goings on but now i got a tag!! I have to say i like the idea of mabye trying to keep alive perhaps what might be seen as 'the old way of playing' by hardcore dbl thumpin', slappin an' a poppin, tappin an' a shreddin bass players.

Does anyone else think of themselves as a 'purist'??? Anyone at all prod of that as I am?? Tell us why you like the ways of times long passed....come on...i can't be the only one.....

Edited by fusionbassist1

Surely purist and elitest are exactly the same thing, both mean they believe a certain way is correct.

I think you mean modern bassists who wouldn't look at valve gear and passive instruments as they're old equipment.

Either way, it's all a load of bollocks in the end, it's all down to what your opinion on what sounds the best.

I wouldn't say that 'purist' has the negative connotations of 'elitist'.

I also don't think that fusionbassist1 was saying he's better than any of you fellas.

I think he was expressing a perfectly legitimate preference, and is obviously happy that his lecturer called him a 'purist'.

He's happy, we're happy, all is cool, yo.

Bassist, on this site and otherwise, seem a pretty insecure bunch.

[quote name='fusionbassist1' post='69645' date='Oct 4 2007, 07:23 PM']I was recently refered to as a 'purist' by one of my lecturers. By this he was refering to my preference of older valve gear, passive old vintage sounding pups and exclusive use of two finger picking on stage. I've always known i was a bit retro in my goings on but now i got a tag!! I have to say i like the idea of mabye trying to keep alive perhaps what might be seen as 'the old way of playing' by hardcore dbl thumpin', slappin an' a poppin, tappin an' a shreddin bass players.

Does anyone else think of themselves as a 'purist'??? Anyone at all prod of that as I am?? Tell us why you like the ways of times long passed....come on...i can't be the only one.....[/quote]

One person's purist is another's luddite...

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='71445' date='Oct 9 2007, 06:27 PM']Bassist, on this site and otherwise, seem a pretty insecure bunch.[/quote]

Um I cant say that I could quite call ARGH insecure especially when he hits the nail on the head with comments like:

[i]'I would label your lecturer a 'Twat',for judging you on your gear choice and style of play.

Tell him to use his ears...its what hes paid for...'[/i]

I mean I'm a bit suprised at the fact a lecturer is proffering a position on what gear should or shouldn't be used by a student.

FWIW I like a blend of technology Vintage 4 strings through Active pups into Ampeg Tube pre into Class D output but to each their own.

Does that make me a semi or demi purist?
Nah dont answer that,
my ego couldn't handle it.