Why become a member? ×

Military spec tubes

Subthumper

Hi all I just picked up a mil spec ECC83/12AX7 for a pound in a shop thats closing down.I know theres a valve review thats been pinned but has anyone tried the any mil spec valves or have any opinions on their sound quality(I've not tried it yet).All I know is that they're built to be a bit tougher.
Cheers Just

[quote name='brycebites' post='70646' date='Oct 7 2007, 02:46 PM']I have some Mullard CV4024 and M8162 valves (Mil. spec ECC81/12AT7) and although they look more rugged I'm buggered if I can tell them apart from the standard valves by sound alone.[/quote]

I've got quite a few valves knocking about that I was given years ago,although I dont particularly reconise any of the numbers.I'll dig them out and put up a list and see if anyone knows what they are.
By the way the shop I got the tube from is L F Hanney in Bath.It was a big box of assorted tubes for a pound each.
Cheers Just

For the most part Mil Spec applies to the operating conditions that the parts are certified to operate in, mainly ambient temperature. High altitude cold and desert heat is the main concern. Actual performance usually isn't much different, though specified tolerance from measured values may be tighter than with so-called consumer grade.

IMO, Mil spec valves [i]are[/i] more rugged but can be noisier than standard valves. I have had quite a few Mullard CV4024's in the past in audio applications, but in the end I avoided mil spec because of the greater noise. No idea why, maybe something to do with whether soemthing si done to ruggedize them in some way?

[quote name='brycebites' post='70786' date='Oct 7 2007, 08:41 PM']Doh! :)
Was that a week or so ago when they were closing down or am I thinking about another place in Bath?[/quote]

I was there last thursday,The shop is on the lower bristol road.The guy was'nt sure how long till they closed,so it could be a couple of weeks or maybe a month or two.
Cheers Just

Edited by Subthumper