Why become a member? ×

Are you Jaco in reverse?

Happy Jack

Dropped in to my luthier to see if he'd finished a bass he was working on for me, found a brand new Rickenbacker 4003 Fretless, in Fireglo, on his workbench.

Why?

He was about to reach for his fretsaw so that he could ... yup ... insert frets!

He was as gutted about it as I was, but that's what the customer wanted.

Why?

Well, the waiting list for new, fretted 4003's is currently approaching six months but there was a shop that happened to have a 4003 fretless in stock ...

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='70051' date='Oct 5 2007, 04:46 PM']A fella I know has recently put frets and mop dots into a Wal

Which is what his customer wanted[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to cry now :)

When I found a bargain Hohner B2 and bought it, I found that was what had been done to it: it was the fretless B2Afl model with the phenolic fretboard, that had been fretted, and badly. I had them off in a matter of days, and filled the slots with epoxy. It was as if the bass gods were telling me "you've been talking about trying the fretless, now you've got no more excuse"! :)

When I saw the thread title, I thought: "Jaco in reverse? You mean - no talent, no chops, no groove? I guess I qualify." :huh:

I did have a chuckle when I read Dan Erlewine´s column in a recent Bass Player magazine where he got back a P bass he had defretted (the procedure was featured in a previous issue). The customer wanted him to re-install the frets because he found out he couldn´t play fretless. Erlewine´s comment was something like: "This is why it´s good to have a backup bass." :)

to be honest i don't really like fretless electric basses. If i wanted a fretless bass i'd just use a double bass (which is what i do)

rather amusingly i annoyed someone in the for sale thread as they'd recently spent a lot of time and effort de-fretting a bass only for me to say "i would have bought it if you hadn't done that!" :) :huh:

of course as happy jack knows, i probably wouldn't have bought it anyway.

Edited by EdwardHimself