Why become a member? ×

AMPEG V4B Value?

minty fresh death

An early 70's one went on Ebay last week for over £600 with a proper hard case. Have seen one with a flight case go on here for around £400 though a while ago. So, somewhere between those two I guess is reasonable. Depends on the condition and the valves inside really though.

I don't think I'd let mine go for less than £375 odd - that's pretty much what it cost after getting a spares and repairs head, spare parts/new valves and a tech bill. I'd say, depending on condition, anything up to about £450 is reasonable - more than that and it would have to be an early model (a bit more desirable due to 70's Ampeg history) and in superb condition for me to consider it.

Don't make the mistake of putting vintage on a pedestall unless there is a real difference in sound - in this instance remember that you can pick up a far more powerfull all valve ampeg head (SVT II or CL) for between £700 and £800. The closer the price gets to that amount, the less VFM you're getting in my opinion.

Yeah- with an efficient cab &/0r one with lotsa cone area, the V4's Do a GREAT job with volume. Tho thru a single 15" or a 1x12" it does struggle for headroom. IME!!! Thru a 8x10'' -I USUALLY use it thru my Bergantino NV610-It has plenty-tho I often have it just on the verge of 'break up' - a LOVELY place to be :-)