Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

What about a vegemite option?

#122 Donnyboy

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

Maybe this is covered , but I can't find ....

What strings for a medium scale bass - just get long scale ones & cut a big bit off?
Proud to be involved in THE Bass Relay ....Bassists raising money for Cancer Research UK! ...Map of Honour

Follow the Bass Relay on Facebook ......... ....Follow the Bass Relay on Twitter .... ... ..... Donate at Just Giving

#123 EssentialTension

Zig Zag Wanderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,716 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

View PostDonnyboy, on 27 April 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

Maybe this is covered , but I can't find ....

What strings for a medium scale bass - just get long scale ones & cut a big bit off?
Which bass? What medium scale? What kind of bridge? It will make a difference.
DAVE - My Feedback

Fender Precision - Lakland Decade - Squier Bass VI - Takamine B10 - Hora Thomann 22 Upright - Mesa Walkabout Scout 1x12 - Phil Jones Bass Briefcase

#124 Donnyboy

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

View PostEssentialTension, on 27 April 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

Which bass? What medium scale? What kind of bridge? It will make a difference.

Good points - rubbish question! Back of the class for me :blush:

It's a Squier VM Telecater bass , 32" scale , stock bridge which is a 4 saddle Fendery job
Proud to be involved in THE Bass Relay ....Bassists raising money for Cancer Research UK! ...Map of Honour

Follow the Bass Relay on Facebook ......... ....Follow the Bass Relay on Twitter .... ... ..... Donate at Just Giving

#125 D.I. Joe

Bare Knuckle Bruiser

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Eating, sleeping and playing bass. Dreaming of buying that R*******cker...

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

I feel a prescription of La Bella Deep Talkin' flats coming on... :)

#126 alstocko

Dillaluding your day since '92

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:01 AM

View PostD.I. Joe, on 27 April 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

I feel a prescription of La Bella Deep Talkin' flats coming on... :)
Beat me to it :D

Edited by alstocko, 08 July 2013 - 07:01 AM.

#127 samuelips

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

Hi, I'm in a band that plays music that has quite a bit of contrast in it, with hip hoppy (or occasionally Mowtown esque) verses and a rather heavy wombats style chorus. So need a string that can sound warm and old-schoolish, yet still be able to cut through a mix in a heavy section. Any recommendations? I was thinking a pair of bright flats, like status hotwires or Chromes.

#128 Delberthot

Needs to get out more

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:46 AM

Definitely Chromes. Depending on where you play and how hard you hit the strings they can sounds thick and thuddy or cut like a knife

I also discovered tonight that my regular fingerstyle sound makes for a really good slap sound
Fender FSR Seafoam Green Precision Bass Special

Swift Fretless Precision

Hartke LH1000

Ashdown MAG 400 Red Face (Backup)

Laney Nexus NX410

Laney Nexus NX115

#129 samuelips

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostDelberthot, on 15 September 2013 - 02:46 AM, said:

Definitely Chromes. Depending on where you play and how hard you hit the strings they can sounds thick and thuddy or cut like a knife

I also discovered tonight that my regular fingerstyle sound makes for a really good slap sound
So that's a better option than one of those middle ground types, ie pressurewounds, groundwounds etc?

#130 Lozz196

Basschat Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,824 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

Going by the description I`d say Chromes as well.
Fender & Squier Basses, Markbass/TC Electronic Amplification, Boss/Tech21 Pedals, OBBM Cables, Rotosound Strings
My Feedback http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1802027

Knock Off - Next Gig Fri 26 Sep 2014 - Kiln Farm Pub Milton Keynes MK11 3LH
https://knockoff.wix.com/knockoff

#131 D.I. Joe

Bare Knuckle Bruiser

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Eating, sleeping and playing bass. Dreaming of buying that R*******cker...

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:49 PM

Or save yourself a bit of cash and go for Fender flats. They too are rather bright for flats, feel great and are cheaper than Chromes - and they are also made by D'Addario!

#132 samuelips

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

View PostLozz196, on 15 September 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

Going by the description I`d say Chromes as well.

View PostD.I. Joe, on 15 September 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

Or save yourself a bit of cash and go for Fender flats. They too are rather bright for flats, feel great and are cheaper than Chromes - and they are also made by D'Addario!
Thanks for the input guys, think i might go with Hotwires since they're between the price of the fenders and chromes, simelar tone, and I'd rather support a small buisness than a massive one

#133 pete.young

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

Any suggestions for things to try on my newly acquired Duesenberg ? It's a short-scale bass requiring medium-length strings, which cuts the options down a bit. I'm thinking that it'll need at least 45-105 , looking for something to bring out the acoustic qualities whilst retaining some of the dark sound that it seems to have at the moment (has what look like 50-110 stainless rounds on at the moment).
"Just another crouton, floating on the bouillabaisse of life"

#134 EuropeanBassPlayer

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Playing bass, sound engineering, day dreaming.

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

I think, I've tried them all and my favorite of all is Thomastik Infeld. They are not cheap (made in Vienna) but what a sound!!! And most important - they do last and always feel great.. from the beginning to the end. Other strings are very stiff when new and short after feel like spaghetti, not these strings. Well, company has been making strings for centuries so they know their sh*t!
..:: European Bass Player ::..
MySpace
Facebook
Twitter

#135 pete.young

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

I have Thomastic Infelds on my Precision and was looking for something a bit more lively. I've gone for a set of Status Half-rounds, which were a perfect fit, feel really nice and sound great.
"Just another crouton, floating on the bouillabaisse of life"

#136 Stan_da_man

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:31 PM

I'm looking for a string with a roundwound tone, flatwound feel and not too much tension (i.e. not like flats, DR type tension is the most I'm comfortable with).

I've never tried half/ground/pressure wounds. Tapewounds are definitely not what I want - any recommendations?

EDIT: Sorted!

Edited by Stan_da_man, 29 October 2013 - 11:09 PM.

#137 Mexicola

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

Im thinking about tuning 3 steps down to B E A D. Will a 50-110 gauge set be alright for this or should I look at heavier gauges? Also, should my bass be re-setup to accomodate the difference in tension?

#138 chrismuzz

Rhythm Guitarist Drowner Outer

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts
  • Interests:Fret Clank, Overdrive

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

View PostMexicola, on 23 March 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

Im thinking about tuning 3 steps down to B E A D. Will a 50-110 gauge set be alright for this or should I look at heavier gauges? Also, should my bass be re-setup to accomodate the difference in tension?

Generally, you'd want to use the bottom 4 strings from a 5 string set, so a B string between 125 to 135 gauge. Of course it depends on whether you like lighter gauge strings and the scale length of your bass!

And yeah, you'd generally want to adjust the intonation and the neck relief for a different tuning :)
GENERATIONS - Metal Covers - Gig List

BASSES:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio | Peavey Zodiac BXP | Peavey International Series 4 | Peavey International Series 5 | Peavey Grind 6 | Peavey Grind 6

PEDALBOARD:
Stageclix Jack Wireless | Aguilar TLC | Darkglass B3K | SansAmp Programmable Bass Driver DI | Ashdown Lomenzo Hyperdrive | ISP Decimator | Zoom B3
AMP:
Harley Benton BA500H | Markbass CL104

Peavey BAM 210 FOR SALE | Peavey Pro 410 FOR SALE
MISC:
Elixir strings | Newtone strings | Warwick strings | Seymour Duncan pickups | Entwistle pickups | Whirlwind cables | Rock-Wire Cables | Levy's Leather | Diago pedalboards & accessories | ACS earplugs | AKG headphones

My Feedback

BassChat Terms & Conditions - Forum Behaviour Guidelines - Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

#139 Mexicola

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:28 PM

Thanks Chris! I think I'll try it out on an older bass first to see how it sounds/plays.

#140 EssentialTension

Zig Zag Wanderer

• Members
  • 6,716 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

View PostMexicola, on 24 March 2014 - 03:28 PM, said:

Thanks Chris! I think I'll try it out on an older bass first to see how it sounds/plays.
B-E-A-D usually means less tension than E-A-D-G so you may need a truss rod tweak.
DAVE - My Feedback

Fender Precision - Lakland Decade - Squier Bass VI - Takamine B10 - Hora Thomann 22 Upright - Mesa Walkabout Scout 1x12 - Phil Jones Bass Briefcase

#141 MarshallBTB

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

Anyone tried these Ibanez Strings ??

http://www.stringsdi...guitar-strings/

Wondered if they're new or just repackaged by Ibanez?
beta.projectrodney.com/blowtorchponies

#142 chrismuzz

Rhythm Guitarist Drowner Outer

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts
  • Interests:Fret Clank, Overdrive

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

View PostMarshallBTB, on 30 March 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

Anyone tried these Ibanez Strings ??

http://www.stringsdi...guitar-strings/

Wondered if they're new or just repackaged by Ibanez?

I always thought Ibanez SR series basses arrived strung with Elixirs... If these are made by Elixir they're an absolute bargain!
GENERATIONS - Metal Covers - Gig List

BASSES:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio | Peavey Zodiac BXP | Peavey International Series 4 | Peavey International Series 5 | Peavey Grind 6 | Peavey Grind 6

PEDALBOARD:
Stageclix Jack Wireless | Aguilar TLC | Darkglass B3K | SansAmp Programmable Bass Driver DI | Ashdown Lomenzo Hyperdrive | ISP Decimator | Zoom B3
AMP:
Harley Benton BA500H | Markbass CL104

Peavey BAM 210 FOR SALE | Peavey Pro 410 FOR SALE
MISC:
Elixir strings | Newtone strings | Warwick strings | Seymour Duncan pickups | Entwistle pickups | Whirlwind cables | Rock-Wire Cables | Levy's Leather | Diago pedalboards & accessories | ACS earplugs | AKG headphones

My Feedback

BassChat Terms & Conditions - Forum Behaviour Guidelines - Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

#143 MarshallBTB

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

View Postchrismuzz, on 30 March 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

I always thought Ibanez SR series basses arrived strung with Elixirs... If these are made by Elixir they're an absolute bargain!

That's what I was thinking. Though a massive difference in price with Elixir. 'Coated' though? Hmm
beta.projectrodney.com/blowtorchponies

#144 Pixiechick23

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Music, bass [well duh], singing, movies, reading books, drinking way more coffee than should be legal

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

As this is already a post on strings, I'm just gonna be cheeky and tag onto it rather than make a whole new post. I need to restring my Tanglewood, badly [it's buzzing when I play cause the strings are so old] and was after some Rotosound jazz strings. Are they flexible or pretty stiff? I've never used them but I'm pretty sure the strings I have on now are Rotosound, just not the jazz ones. When they're not old they sound great but they're a little stiff, I'm after something with a little more bend to it if that makes sense?
"Before you go out there and try to conquer the universe... get your act together."

- Gene Simmons

Basses I own:
Custom made black bass, no brand

Swift bass - white

Tanglewood Warrior 3 - mahogany

Ibanez EXB 404 - wood finish [for now]

#145 ahpook

hansome bearded ex-librarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

Just to remember - you can't 'purchase' things any more...

...you have to 'source' them

;)

#146 Thunderbird

Is it all just wasted time?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • Interests:My Lovely Mrs my beautiful kids and my family, Bass,tinkering with basses in fact tinkering with most things.
    Love reading listening to music mainly old school rock and metal,I also enjoy watching a good action or horror flick.

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

View PostPixiechick23, on 24 July 2014 - 03:51 PM, said:

As this is already a post on strings, I'm just gonna be cheeky and tag onto it rather than make a whole new post. I need to restring my Tanglewood, badly [it's buzzing when I play cause the strings are so old] and was after some Rotosound jazz strings. Are they flexible or pretty stiff? I've never used them but I'm pretty sure the strings I have on now are Rotosound, just not the jazz ones. When they're not old they sound great but they're a little stiff, I'm after something with a little more bend to it if that makes sense?
I am a huge Rotosound fan but am currently enjoying the D'addario EXP strings so nice and soft on the fingers I was never a huge D'addario fan as I once tried there steels and did not get on with them but these EXP coated strings are lush :) and they are slightly lighter tension than Rotos but all I can say is buy a decent brand of strings as I experimented with lots of cheaper brand strings and most of them were rubbish

Edited by Thunderbird, 25 July 2014 - 09:56 AM.

#147 Pixiechick23

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Music, bass [well duh], singing, movies, reading books, drinking way more coffee than should be legal

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

View PostThunderbird, on 25 July 2014 - 08:56 AM, said:

I am a huge Rotosound fan but am currently enjoying the D'addario EXP strings so nice and soft on the fingers I was never a huge D'addario fan as I once tried there steels and did not get on with them but these EXP coated strings are lush :) and they are slightly lighter tension than Rotos but all I can say is buy a decent brand of strings as I experimented with lots of cheaper brand strings and most of them were rubbish
It's usually D'addario that I use! It's usually the XL Nickel Round Wound though, they feel a bit stiff so I might switch. I'm not actually sure which of my basses has Rotosound at the minute because I'm terrible for changing strings but I think it's the black one, I need to restring the Tanglewood more cause I don't really play the black one now, too big for me. Might have a look into EXP's! Thanks!
"Before you go out there and try to conquer the universe... get your act together."

- Gene Simmons

Basses I own:

Swift bass - white

#148 EssentialTension

Zig Zag Wanderer

• Members
  • 6,716 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

View PostPixiechick23, on 24 July 2014 - 03:51 PM, said:

Rotosound Jazz Bass 77 strings are high tension (i.e. stiff) monel flatwounds. Is that what you mean?

What makes you think old strings cause buzz?
DAVE - My Feedback

#149 Pixiechick23

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

View PostEssentialTension, on 25 July 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

Rotosound Jazz Bass 77 strings are high tension (i.e. stiff) monel flatwounds. Is that what you mean?

What makes you think old strings cause buzz?
Because it only does it when I haven't changed the strings for a really long time. The strings were fine at first but the older they got they started to buzz whenever I tried to play.
Oh are the Jazz ones stiff? [yes those are the ones I mean] might pass on them and try Thunderbirds recommendation then. Thanks for letting me know that before I wasted money though :)

- Gene Simmons

Basses I own:

Swift bass - white

#150 miguel ponton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:30 PM

Hi: Someone knows the strings Legend, manufactured in England ??

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users