Why become a member? ×

What Strings should I purchase?

Bidd

[quote name='johnnylager' post='245826' date='Jul 23 2008, 07:20 AM'][url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/36993/a/r/e/base"]These[/url] might be worth a punt...[/quote]

Probably the same 'ingredients' impregnated on a cloth, just the job and the Fast Fret is on the same web page.

Great stuff, i'll pick some of those up I think cheers :) For the time being I just gave them a wipe with a cloth.

PS just fitted the flats, I really like them so far :huh: although I did have grey fingers afterwards!

[quote name='bass player spinn' post='209146' date='May 29 2008, 08:49 PM'][size=3]hello, Im 15 years old and play in a church band. We usually play a little easier songs but we also play some pretty hard stuff. christian rock isnt to bad to play but.... anyways. i have a squire p bass which is decent for what i play. Im thinking about buying new strings now that ive been playing the stock strings for about 8 months (they sound like crep!) I have already narrowed down that I am going to get nickel coated or whatever nickel for sure. I am going to get roundwound. and i have also decided that i am chosing iether warwick strings, elixers, or cheapy fenders. I need advice on which strings can get up and go.. but also have a nice warm sound when implaying those notes that last for about an hour. not looking for like a zingey sound. anyways.. uhh feel free to talk about it all you want. If you dont think i should get nickel coated or nickel whatever tell me. and if im wrong on anything here tell me. message me. dont be afraid to send me a personal message. thanks to all who help feel free to aid. oh and sugguest anything. TAKING IN EVERYTHING. thanks a bunch

[size=7]BASS PLAYER SPINN[/size][/size]Good to see another Gospel bassist, The P is a great start and will cover averything u need, get some ernie balls or some darrdios there zingy for a while like all new strings, but soon fade away, Elixir as well as being expensive stay bright foreer esp the nanoweb ones, thats what I use but they suit my GB. Hey, what u playing at the mo, some soul survior stuff, tim huhes matt redman etc al gordon et al........my son plays full time for a huge church in London and mixes with those guys all the time, he started like u in a church band then sort of fell on his perfect job, and at 19 hes loving every minute. Keep it up. WWJD..........[/quote]

[quote name='Linus27' post='124388' date='Jan 21 2008, 11:11 AM']For years I have used Elite Stadium's 40 - 105 and found them superb. I used to play with a plectrum playing Indie Guitar Punk Pop and they would last a long time. I used to play maybe a couple of nights a week plus 8 hour rehersals for 3 days a week and they would be good for some months. I used to break the odd one now and again but in terms of playability and tone, nothing beat them. You could also tell when they needed changing as the tone just dropped away and the punch vanished.

I now have a Vintage Fretless and going to give their Stainless Steel Flatwound. Not sure to stick with my usual 45 - 105 or try softer and go for 40 - 100.[/quote]

+1
I've used Elites Stadium 40 - 100 for a long time too and like them.

How did you get on with the flatwounds? I'm thinking of trying a 40 - 100 set on my fretless Jazz.

• 4 months later...

Dr FatBeams are great. Expensive, yes, but excellent tone, feel and longevity.

Elixirs ARE good and DO last, but only on some instruments! If you've got a woody sounding Warwick, they can sharpen it up nicely (if that's what you want).
They're excellent on my Zebrano/Wenge/Ovangkol Warwick Infinity SN4.
I don't like them on Wooden-necked instruments with Phenolic fretboards (Yamaha & Vigier)
They seem fine on graphite/phenolic neck/ board combinations.

Elites are okay as a stop-gap.
Warwick Yellows are pretty okay as a budget nickel choice

Warwick Reds, Ernie balls and Rotos can be quite rough, and all three seem to die quickly. EBs seem to sound wicked on Stingrays (I wonder why?)
I expected a lot from Warwick EMPs, but they were not good for me. Dead out of the packet.

In summary DR and Elixir are both very good, but be careful exactly how you use them for the very best results.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well. 5-stringer here. Untill recently I was playing the stock Yamaha 45-125 (I think the E was at 100) medium stock strings for 9 months or so. Mainly due to the B being too loose (can't hold any tuning below B properly) and the tone being dull as F***, I decided to change them up. Ordered Warwick Black Label strings. The B strings core snapped not even with one full twist around the tuning peg and ended up going to a local store to buy new strings. Bought D'addario's Nickel Roundwounds 50-135 (E at 105). Incredible bright tone was noticable even with the eq at flat. Altho I don't usually do it, I decided to try some slaps - perfecto. Tone was wicked - lots of high end, clear note definition, noticible lows and basically everything you can want from a bass tone. Might wanna try out the ProSteels, just to get more of that "cling" sound, that makes my playing cut through through any guitar sound in the recording mix.

• 6 months later...

I'm on my last pack of Roto RS66LD's.

I like 'em. But maybe it's time to see if there's better for me out there.

I've tried. D'addario - too dull. Elite Stadiums - underwhelmed.

Flats are a no-no. Love the ease of playing but they don't suit the band at all.

I play a Precision with a plinktron © and like a fairly dirty and unsophisticated Burnell/Entwhistle type sound.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote name='colin100' post='831760' date='May 8 2010, 09:19 PM']Has anybody tried boiling their strings to brighten them up? I have done a few times and it gives me a month or so extra out of them!

Go on... try it!![/quote]

Boiling bad, [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=83459"]meths good.[/url]

Edit: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17960"]Better thread, I was actually thinking of.[/url]

Edited by Mr. Foxen

• 5 weeks later...

Everyone seems to play fretted basses and do a lot of slapping apart from the guy who uses the Elites Stadiums on his jazz fretless.

I have a fretless bass which i have just bought that has flatwounds on it which are fine but i am just thinking of alternatives as a friend of mine has nylon wrapped strings on his fretless and they are awesome but just feel a little slack.

What strings do poeple recommend for a fretless? Are nylon wrapped strings any good? I specifically want to play jazz but the occasional bit of funk aswell, but clearly you can't slap on a fretless so i want something with a good mellow tone.

Also, what's the best material (although it depends partly on personal choice)? There seem to be hundreds of options: steel, nickel, chrome, Nylon wrapped etc...

I have an Ebony fingerboard so any material will not be a problem just really wondering what the difference is between the materials?

Cheers

Will

• 4 weeks later...

GHS Stainless Steel Precisions.

Mine are extra long because my P-bass has a string-thru-body bridge. Beautiful full, very fat sound, nice if you like to slide (or do I mean, play sloppily?). Also the upper-register notes are not so shrieky as with roundwounds. Very little (if any) extra tension with these. Love 'em.

About $25.

Ted

• 4 months later...

I prefer nickel strings to stainless steel. They don't last as long but tend to be a warmer sound and smoother on the fingers. Ernies and D'Addario's are great, but I tried some of the cheap Rotosound (RotoBass) sets which are nickel and to be honest they're just as good and can be picked up usually for between £12 and £15 a set which is a fair bit cheaper than the others. Another cheaper nickel set that's impressed me are the Picato's. Their 5-string set is very cheap as well.

Edited by danhkr

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing a bit of research trying to find a new set of bass strings and I'm almost there.

I'm looking to play in drop B without the strings being too loose so I can use my distortion pedal without the sound getting too muddy. I'll need a heavier gauge but I was wondering if anyone has had experience is playing in this tuning and therefore what would be a good gauge to get? I'm more than likely going to be going for flatwounds too.

• 2 months later...

I want to try flats on my Stingray. I want to take the very top end off the sound, still get a modernish sound but I'm wanting to primarily get a motown/jazzy tone from it.

I use Overwater Nickel rounds at the moment so was considering their flats. Anyone have any experience? Or any other recommendations. I've not used flats before so I don't know anything about them.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've just restrung the fretless with D'addario ECB80 XL Chrome Flats. I hated the D'ads I had on my old 5 string, but these flats sound thernomenal compared to the Olympias that were on there before.

The fretted Warwick's due a restring too, it's got Roto 66 on and I'm not a fan. It's my main bass for slap, but it does a lot of other styles too, so I'm stuck for strings. Torn between DR Hi Beams and Lo Riders :)

Some love them, some hate them. I don't like them as they're not as good as they used to be. On the Wal I've got an older set of Roto S66 on and they still sound great, and they were put on around 2 and a half years ago. Since, they've gone downhill. The set on my fretted Corvette sounded great for around 3 weeks, and then started sounding crap. They feel a little too rough for my liking too.

I thought I'd ask this here to add to the knowledge building up in this thread.

I've got a 5 string 35" scale Bass Collection SB315 that needs new strings. This is the first time I've restrung it since buying it 2nd hand a few months ago.

I've got the bass currently set up with a high C string rather than a low B so I'm looking for a set of 35" 30 - 100 ish gauge roundwound strings.

The biggest question is whether a 35" scale bass will take long strings or extra long. I'm hoping that long strings will fit as this gives me more options.

GHS Bass Boomers (30, 45, 65, 80, 100) seem ideal but I can only find them in long scale.