Why become a member? ×

What Strings should I purchase?

Bidd

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

alright guys. I got a thrashed yammy rbx170 im a novice learner, playing metal fingered bass, never use plecs and i'm a girl so have pretty small hands, reccommend me some strings that would suit and wont break the bank and hopefully reduce the raw-ness of my hands lately

[quote name='gothpugs' post='1323661' date='Aug 1 2011, 10:59 PM']alright guys. I got a thrashed yammy rbx170 im a novice learner, playing metal fingered bass, never use plecs and i'm a girl so have pretty small hands, reccommend me some strings that would suit and wont break the bank and hopefully reduce the raw-ness of my hands lately[/quote]
Elixir nanowebs - 040 .060 .075 .095.

They've got a slightly slippery-er feel under the finger, which is good. Pricey, but you get your money back because they last for months. Make sure your bass is set up for a low action, even if it rattles a bit. As time progresses and your fingertips harden you can try some other string makes and jack your action back up a bit.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1323727' date='Aug 2 2011, 12:05 AM']Elixir nanowebs - 040 .060 .075 .095.

They've got a slightly slippery-er feel under the finger, which is good. Pricey, but you get your money back because they last for months. Make sure your bass is set up for a low action, even if it rattles a bit. As time progresses and your fingertips harden you can try some other string makes and jack your action back up a bit.[/quote]

I can't seem to find them anywhere... none on eBay and my local doesn't sell them, are they sold in england?

I've had a look at these, nickel lights...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390027450300&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

Any good?

if not link me up to something better!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I bought a new set of DR Sunbeams recently, put them on my bass today, played for about 15 mins, then realised that I wanted to save them for when I get my new gear in a couple of weeks, so I took them off and put them back in the paper sleeves. Will they still sound as new and be as good when I put them on my bass again in a couple of weeks?

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1324568107' post='1475724']
I bought a new set of DR Sunbeams recently, put them on my bass today, played for about 15 mins, then realised that I wanted to save them for when I get my new gear in a couple of weeks, so I took them off and put them back in the paper sleeves. Will they still sound as new and be as good when I put them on my bass again in a couple of weeks?
[/quote]

Give them a wipe with string cleaner or similar and you'd not notice any difference at all... tbh you'd probably not notice a jot of difference even if you didn't wipe them, not if they aren't sweaty and gunked up when you store them! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

until fairly recently i hadnt realised steve harris from iron maiden uses roto sound flatwounds id not even considered using flats for rock or metal but i like
his sound so i may consider them next , i must admit when first getting strings id thought that stainless strings would have lasted longer but at the expense of
quicker fret wear , id rather change strings than get frets replaced so maybe nickels would be better oh damn now im confused ....also fancied a set of those elites
as good reports i suppose everyone has different tastes so what one person likes another may hate . B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi All

Great thread, I've learnt a lot from this. My situation is a bit different, in that I'm a complete beginner, although I do play guitar. I've just bought a bass guitar to go with my Kala U-Bass. My priority is not what sound I get from new strings, but more emphasis on the playability. Is one type of string easier to get me started than another? I'm thinking of the difference between flats, rounds (and others that I may not know about) rather than the make of string, if that makes sense.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Graham

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='The Saint' timestamp='1337204045' post='1657228']
Is one type of string easier to get me started than another?[/quote]

Flats are certainly easier on the fingers, but if you are used to guitar strings that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Go for a "standard" gauge, which would be in the region of 40-100 or 45-105. The brand does make a difference though, as some brands seem "softer" of more loose than others (in terms of the string tension) - even at the same gauges.

[quote name='Ezy Rider' timestamp='1345156491' post='1774531']
Hi all - newbie so apols for ignorance! I've got a squier jazz (vin mod) and am curious about different string lengths - is it always the case that one bass should have the same length strings, or can you try different lengths on the same bass?

Cheers!
[/quote]

As long as they are long enough to go around the machine head a couple of times, it doesn't really matter! Long strings can always be shortened but you can't lengthen short ones! :rolleyes: :D

[quote name='Rubbersoul' timestamp='1347388006' post='1800151']
What gauge would you recommend for D standard tuning?
[/quote]

Do you mean each string tuned down a step? So DGCF?

It's not that much of a difference, but what do you normally use? If you usually use 40s, for example, try 45s for the drop tuning. Depends how tight or loose you like your strings - you might not need to change them at all...

[quote name='chilievans' timestamp='1347620585' post='1803092']
I'm looking for a high tension set of strings as I like the low action. Any recommendations?
[/quote]

TBH FME etc high tension strings have more pull on the neck which increases relief and raises the action. Adjusting the truss rod will solve this but be careful in doing so! I once put Roto flats on Rex's AXL bass and you could launch a ski jump from the neck now!

I think round core strings have more tension for the same gauge.