Why become a member? ×

What Strings should I purchase?

Bidd

Could anyone suggest to me decent Halfwounds and Nickle plated rounds for 5 strings? I have been using Status Hotwire Halfrounds on my TRB 5 string for a year now but I find that the B string seems to be a bit dull compared to the rest of them, im looking for a set that have a bright B string.

Edited by 4StringFortress

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1347552129' post='1802378']
Can anyone suggest some decent flats?
Im currently using Picato, they are ok but the tension is a bit high for me I want something a bit looser if possible.
[/quote]

Depends on what you like, but I find that LaBellas are quite low tension for the gauge...

• 1 month later...

I'm a learner bass player, playing mostly metal with a touch of acoustic, rock & country thrown in

I'm female, and playing fingered bass... never picked up a plectrum in my life and don't intend to

I'm wanting to buy some coloured strings from aurora so which weight should I choose?

(I don't mind getting blisters / callouses and working through the pain!)

[color=#000000]Lite 40 | 60 | 80 | 100[/color]
[color=#000000]Medium 45 | 65 | 85 | 105[/color]
[color=#000000]Heavy 50 | 70 | 90 | 110[/color]

My advice would be to start at medium and see how they feel, then you've got options either way, though there are many, many string companies out there all producing different sets of strings which feel and sound completely different, so experiment a bit! Don't be too preoccupied about strings while you are learning though, they can be quite expensive!

Also, if you are down tuning a lot then you'll probably find heavy strings best to deal with, unless you don't mind spending the money for some DR DDTs and the lik.

Hope this helps :)

[quote name='gothpugs' timestamp='1356185924' post='1907746']
I'm a learner bass player, playing mostly metal with a touch of acoustic, rock & country thrown in

[color=#000000]Lite 40 | 60 | 80 | 100[/color]
[color=#000000]Medium 45 | 65 | 85 | 105[/color]
[color=#000000]Heavy 50 | 70 | 90 | 110[/color]
[/quote]

That's quite an eclectic mix of styles! Bear in mind that what they are calling "lite" gauge there is not the lightest set of strings you can get. They go down as far as 30-90, so in effect 40-100 represents almost the middle of the range...

Generally speaking, a heavier gauge gives more tone and volume but can be a bit heavier on the fingers - especially if they are stainless steel roundwounds. And if you plan your practice carefully then your fingertips will harden and callous without the "need" to go through the blister stage!

• 1 month later...

OK, looking at some of the other (helpful) posts on this thread, and playing fretless as I do (also somewhat horrified by the state of the fingerboard underneath my E string!) I would like to try some flat wounds. There doesn't seem to be as much choice of gauge in flat wounds - or am I wrong? I would prefer something at the lighter end of the spectrum. Any suggestions for what to buy?
Thanks
Tim

[quote name='otis_b_flywheel' timestamp='1360705652' post='1975266']
OK, looking at some of the other (helpful) posts on this thread, and playing fretless as I do (also somewhat horrified by the state of the fingerboard underneath my E string!) I would like to try some flat wounds. There doesn't seem to be as much choice of gauge in flat wounds - or am I wrong? I would prefer something at the lighter end of the spectrum. Any suggestions for what to buy?
Thanks
Tim
[/quote]

Be aware that no flats sound like round wound strings. If it's the sound of roundwounds on your fretless that you like, you may well be disappointed.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1360759389' post='1975908']
Be aware that no flats sound like round wound strings. If it's the sound of roundwounds on your fretless that you like, you may well be disappointed.
[/quote]

This is very true. Flats are definitely not for everyone. I would say they are worth trying though :) you may end up loving the sound.

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1360759908' post='1975922']
This is very true. Flats are definitely not for everyone. I would say they are worth trying though :) you may end up loving the sound.
[/quote]

True. But for me decision whether to use flats or rounds on any of my fretless basses is dictated by what suits the bass and my ears sound-wise and not what is less likely to wear the fingerboard.

I've just realised the d'addario chromes I've bought are long scale, rather than medium :( will they fit onto my p bass, or should I send them back?

EDIT: just did some reading on talk bass and apparently when d'addario say 'long scale' they mean 34"-36" so I should be fine :)

Edited by jackers

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1361281222' post='1983800']
I've just realised the d'addario chromes I've bought are long scale, rather than medium :( will they fit onto my p bass, or should I send them back?

EDIT: just did some reading on talk bass and apparently when d'addario say 'long scale' they mean 34"-36" so I should be fine :)
[/quote]
Through the bridge, a standard 34" P bass needs long scale Chromes in my experience.

If you string through the body it might be different.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1361281741' post='1983811']

Through the bridge, a standard 34" P bass needs long scale Chromes in my experience.

If you string through the body it might be different.
[/quote]

awesome :) thanks. I'm going to be top loading the strings, as this is my first set of flats and I don't wanna risk messing them up with the high break angle you get going thru-body.

• 1 month later...

for a fair priced string you cannot go wrong with elites.wont last forever but none of them do.they seem to have great sharpness and a real bright tone to them when abused with the thumb.i have paid more for strings and not been over impressed.hope this helps.lee :)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='otis_b_flywheel' timestamp='1360866346' post='1977680']
Thanks folks,
I don't really like the sound of my current round-wounds so the flats are definitely worth a try.
Tim
[/quote]
If you're feeling flush and want to try something very different I can recommend Thomastik Jazz Flats. They're expensive but last pretty much forever.

But be warned, they're like Marmite -- you'll either really love them (I do!) or hate them...

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1367062939' post='2060793']
Which bass? What medium scale? What kind of bridge? It will make a difference.
[/quote]

Good points - rubbish question! Back of the class for me :blush:

It's a Squier VM Telecater bass , 32" scale , stock bridge which is a 4 saddle Fendery job