Why become a member? ×

What Strings should I purchase?

Bidd

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm in a band that plays music that has quite a bit of contrast in it, with hip hoppy (or occasionally Mowtown esque) verses and a rather heavy wombats style chorus. So need a string that can sound warm and old-schoolish, yet still be able to cut through a mix in a heavy section. Any recommendations? I was thinking a pair of bright flats, like status hotwires or Chromes.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1379213167' post='2209915']
Definitely Chromes. Depending on where you play and how hard you hit the strings they can sounds thick and thuddy or cut like a knife

I also discovered tonight that my regular fingerstyle sound makes for a really good slap sound
[/quote] So that's a better option than one of those middle ground types, ie pressurewounds, groundwounds etc?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1379257834' post='2210420']
Going by the description I`d say Chromes as well.
[/quote]
[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1379274597' post='2210762']
Or save yourself a bit of cash and go for Fender flats. They too are rather bright for flats, feel great and are cheaper than Chromes - and they are also made by D'Addario!
[/quote] Thanks for the input guys, think i might go with Hotwires since they're between the price of the fenders and chromes, simelar tone, and I'd rather support a small buisness than a massive one

• 2 weeks later...

Any suggestions for things to try on my newly acquired Duesenberg ? It's a short-scale bass requiring medium-length strings, which cuts the options down a bit. I'm thinking that it'll need at least 45-105 , looking for something to bring out the acoustic qualities whilst retaining some of the dark sound that it seems to have at the moment (has what look like 50-110 stainless rounds on at the moment).

I think, I've tried them all and my favorite of all is [b]Thomastik Infeld[/b]. They are not cheap (made in Vienna) but what a sound!!! And most important - they do last and always feel great.. from the beginning to the end. Other strings are very stiff when new and short after feel like spaghetti, not these strings. Well, company has been making strings for centuries so they know their sh*t!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking for a string with a roundwound tone, flatwound feel and not too much tension (i.e. not like flats, DR type tension is the most I'm comfortable with).

I've never tried half/ground/pressure wounds. Tapewounds are definitely not what I want - any recommendations?

EDIT: Sorted!

Edited by Stan_da_man

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Mexicola' timestamp='1395590592' post='2404070']
Im thinking about tuning 3 steps down to B E A D. Will a 50-110 gauge set be alright for this or should I look at heavier gauges? Also, should my bass be re-setup to accomodate the difference in tension?
[/quote]

Generally, you'd want to use the bottom 4 strings from a 5 string set, so a B string between 125 to 135 gauge. Of course it depends on whether you like lighter gauge strings and the scale length of your bass!

And yeah, you'd generally want to adjust the intonation and the neck relief for a different tuning :)

[quote name='MarshallBTB' timestamp='1396181387' post='2410657']
Anyone tried these Ibanez Strings ??

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/p/921586/ibanez-5-string-coated-nickel-wound-45-130-long-scale-bass-guitar-strings/"]http://www.stringsdi...guitar-strings/[/url]

Wondered if they're new or just repackaged by Ibanez?
[/quote]

I always thought Ibanez SR series basses arrived strung with Elixirs... If these are made by Elixir they're an absolute bargain!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1396181591' post='2410660']
I always thought Ibanez SR series basses arrived strung with Elixirs... If these are made by Elixir they're an absolute bargain!
[/quote]

That's what I was thinking. Though a massive difference in price with Elixir. 'Coated' though? Hmm

• 3 months later...

As this is already a post on strings, I'm just gonna be cheeky and tag onto it rather than make a whole new post. I need to restring my Tanglewood, badly [it's buzzing when I play cause the strings are so old] and was after some Rotosound jazz strings. Are they flexible or pretty stiff? I've never used them but I'm pretty sure the strings I have on now are Rotosound, just not the jazz ones. When they're not old they sound great but they're a little stiff, I'm after something with a little more bend to it if that makes sense?

[quote name='Pixiechick23' timestamp='1406217067' post='2509435']
As this is already a post on strings, I'm just gonna be cheeky and tag onto it rather than make a whole new post. I need to restring my Tanglewood, badly [it's buzzing when I play cause the strings are so old] and was after some Rotosound jazz strings. Are they flexible or pretty stiff? I've never used them but I'm pretty sure the strings I have on now are Rotosound, just not the jazz ones. When they're not old they sound great but they're a little stiff, I'm after something with a little more bend to it if that makes sense?
[/quote] I am a huge Rotosound fan but am currently enjoying the D'addario EXP strings so nice and soft on the fingers I was never a huge D'addario fan as I once tried there steels and did not get on with them but these EXP coated strings are lush :) and they are slightly lighter tension than Rotos but all I can say is buy a decent brand of strings as I experimented with lots of cheaper brand strings and most of them were rubbish

Edited by Thunderbird

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1406278613' post='2509996']
I am a huge Rotosound fan but am currently enjoying the D'addario EXP strings so nice and soft on the fingers I was never a huge D'addario fan as I once tried there steels and did not get on with them but these EXP coated strings are lush :) and they are slightly lighter tension than Rotos but all I can say is buy a decent brand of strings as I experimented with lots of cheaper brand strings and most of them were rubbish
[/quote]
It's usually D'addario that I use! It's usually the XL Nickel Round Wound though, they feel a bit stiff so I might switch. I'm not actually sure which of my basses has Rotosound at the minute because I'm terrible for changing strings but I think it's the black one, I need to restring the Tanglewood more cause I don't really play the black one now, too big for me. Might have a look into EXP's! Thanks!

[quote name='Pixiechick23' timestamp='1406217067' post='2509435']
[/quote]
Rotosound Jazz Bass 77 strings are high tension (i.e. stiff) monel flatwounds. Is that what you mean?

What makes you think old strings cause buzz?

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1406302011' post='2510418']
Rotosound Jazz Bass 77 strings are high tension (i.e. stiff) monel flatwounds. Is that what you mean?

What makes you think old strings cause buzz?
[/quote] Because it only does it when I haven't changed the strings for a really long time. The strings were fine at first but the older they got they started to buzz whenever I tried to play.
Oh are the Jazz ones stiff? [yes those are the ones I mean] might pass on them and try Thunderbirds recommendation then. Thanks for letting me know that before I wasted money though :)

• 5 weeks later...