Why become a member? ×

What Strings should I purchase?

Bidd

• 2 weeks later...

My attention has been brought to strings again.

I've started looking at flatwounds and D'Addario Chromes (prob ECB81) are the most inviting due to price and availability. However, after further reading, the anti-stinge in me says I should got for TI Jazz Flats considering the amount of time I plan to have them on the bass.

I'm after a warm, flexible, intonation friendly soul/blues/funk thump with the potential for upper register soloing. Is it definitely worth holding out for the TIs?

---

Can anyone give a good link for affordable halfrounds?

Cheers,

paul.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the DR Fatbeams Stainless Steel Roundwound?

I play mostly funger funk and soul, I've currently got a set of D'Addario EXL 170's, round wound nickel. They feel great, but (I think it's the fact they are nickel) I find the tone a littel thin and over-Zingy.

So I'm considering the above DR Fatbeams - but £37 for a 5 string set - ouch!

• 1 month later...

Tried TI Jazz Flats again on my fretted GB. Loved them. Funny thing is I tried them before at a different venue and they didn't really cut through enough so I took them off again. Its a funny old caper this.

There is an informative thread on flats [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6496&st=0"]here[/url]

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='markytbass' post='7941' date='May 28 2007, 07:24 AM']I have been trying some flatwounds on both my basses. I have used Roto's Monal Flats and Roberts Flats. The Roto's 45-105 I found too tight and was tempted to go down to 40-100 but at nearly £30 a set I might wait. As for the Roberts the A-D-G seem ok but the E was too floppy and sounded some what dead. My next stop is probably going to be some Roto Solo55's preasure wound. I don't like steel strings they sound too zingy for me but nickle plated seem ok I have used Rotobass 45 & 50's in the past. They sound like a played in set of steels but slightly warmer and you can slap with them (if thats your thing).[/quote]
I had the same problem with Roberts strings, the E was dead as a dead thing on dead day.
To their credit i gave him a call and got a replacement E string and a complete new set. Still bloody dead E string though.....

• 1 month later...

For years I have used Elite Stadium's 40 - 105 and found them superb. I used to play with a plectrum playing Indie Guitar Punk Pop and they would last a long time. I used to play maybe a couple of nights a week plus 8 hour rehersals for 3 days a week and they would be good for some months. I used to break the odd one now and again but in terms of playability and tone, nothing beat them. You could also tell when they needed changing as the tone just dropped away and the punch vanished.

I now have a Vintage Fretless and going to give their Stainless Steel Flatwound. Not sure to stick with my usual 45 - 105 or try softer and go for 40 - 100.

[quote name='WalMan' post='36628' date='Jul 24 2007, 10:13 PM'].....and?

I have to say I started using Elixirs a couple of years back and though they are expensive they just go on [i][b][size=4][u]forever[/u][/size][/b][/i] are even in tone across the neck and keep that tone pretty much until I realise that they are starting to look a little skanky and need changing.

The first set I got were freebies at the Guitar show in Wembley and I was hooked. Next year I bought a box from the Strings Direct stand (or possibly Stringbusters) at a knockdown price. This year no one seemed to be selling the bass strings so I could not stock up again damn them!!! :)

The box by the way has lasted two years of an average gig + rehearsal a week, and its not that I do not change the strings regularly, its that they hold tone for so long even beating them up quite hard with a plectrum.

IMHO after too many years playing you can buy cheaper, but it really is a false economy unless you find that elusive string that lasts with the sound you want[/quote]

Exactly! My friend at Elixir said when people go into a music shop to buy the 'cheapest' bass strings, the person behind the counter will hand them some rotos or something - when actually Elixir's work out MUCH cheaper in the long run.

I have had Elixirs on my basses for some time now. I used to hate getting a new set of strings (used to use Elites) because the bass sounded great for a few days but then I could feel it dying in my hands! I am so glad I found Elixirs because now it is fresh every time - the strings I am using in my video (link in sig) are over a year old, listen how fresh they are!

Cheers
ped

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there
I used D,adarrio XL'S for a long time, nice warm tone and a great slap sound, but most importantly for you they are fairly inexpensive so if you dont like them its not the end of the world, Rotosound are good quality and well priced although they can tear your fingers to shreds fantastic raw sound for rock. I also tried picato when i started and they are great for the money.
I currently use DR sunbeams which are gorgeous sounding but a bit pricey, but they do last,and dont forget the boiling trick on your old strings itll brighten them up but only for a day or two.
Enjoy your new band, regards-LEE

EDIT - Sorry I think i put this in wrong section of forum

I'm on the verge of joining a band in Uni, that play Blues and Funk - Hendrix, BB King, Howlin Wolf etc, and I've realised that I have yet to change the strings on my bass even though I've had it for 18 months and have been playing with stock strings since.

Basically, I've been playing a lot for the past 18 months but in bedroom, and a few half arsed jams so I've never really cared about the tone of my guitar, but I think its time to buy some decent strings. I simply do not really understand a lot of the technical side of the bass guitar, I basically read tabs and play. so I need advice badly cos I know fook all.

What strings would you more experienced lot recommend? I play a basic Washburn T14 so its hardly packs a nice tone, but because I plan to play slap and 12 bar blues type stuff, I want to treat myself to some new strings that may improve the sound. You have to forgive my stupidity as words like Roundwood or flatwood, or 105 super slinky gauge blah blah have literally zero meaning to me as I havent experimented with other basses, so please treat me like an idiot
[/quote]

• 1 month later...

[quote name='johnnylager' post='142285' date='Feb 18 2008, 08:50 AM']I've just gone back to Fender Stainless Bass 7350M's (.045, .065, .085, .105) after trying many different kinds. Good life, easy to play. This gadgey does cheap strings... [url="http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Guitar-Strings-n-Things"]http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Guitar-Strings-n-Things[/url][/quote]

+1 Started buying all my strings from him. Massive selection and even with postage (which is usually about a quid) it beats buying anything they have on offer in Ayr (Ernie Balls, or cheapo lengths of cheese wire). If you order early enough in the day - before 3pm I think - you can have your strings the next day too. It cost me £14 for a set of D' Addario XLs the other day, which are my recommendation if anyone still checks this out. I like 45-100.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='gilmour' post='75387' date='Oct 17 2007, 12:50 AM']Has anyone tried the DR Fatbeams Stainless Steel Roundwound?

I play mostly funger funk and soul, I've currently got a set of D'Addario EXL 170's, round wound nickel. They feel great, but (I think it's the fact they are nickel) I find the tone a littel thin and over-Zingy.

So I'm considering the above DR Fatbeams - but £37 for a 5 string set - ouch![/quote]

I use Fatbeams on my US Deluxe P and they sound great.Play rock mainly and get good bass and mids from them with a smooth treble(play with fingers most of the time)
They have good balance across the strings and good tension-I don't like floppy,so I can really dig in if required.They aint cheap,but they will last me an year!My frets are starting to wear a bit though,so may go for nickels next
Cheers
Iain

• 3 weeks later...

[size=3]hello, Im 15 years old and play in a church band. We usually play a little easier songs but we also play some pretty hard stuff. christian rock isnt to bad to play but.... anyways. i have a squire p bass which is decent for what i play. Im thinking about buying new strings now that ive been playing the stock strings for about 8 months (they sound like crep!) I have already narrowed down that I am going to get nickel coated or whatever nickel for sure. I am going to get roundwound. and i have also decided that i am chosing iether warwick strings, elixers, or cheapy fenders. I need advice on which strings can get up and go.. but also have a nice warm sound when implaying those notes that last for about an hour. not looking for like a zingey sound. anyways.. uhh feel free to talk about it all you want. If you dont think i should get nickel coated or nickel whatever tell me. and if im wrong on anything here tell me. message me. dont be afraid to send me a personal message. thanks to all who help feel free to aid. oh and sugguest anything. TAKING IN EVERYTHING. thanks a bunch

[size=7]BASS PLAYER SPINN[/size][/size]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bassbloke' post='14781' date='Jun 9 2007, 08:13 PM']I'd to add that the main contributing factor to a good slap sound is a nice low action. Witht hat in mind, and your desire to play fingerstyle 12 bvar blues, I'd avoid strings that are too light.

Also, IMHO, if you have been playing for 18 months, the extra effort required by 45-105 guage strings will give you a good workout.

If I were you, I'd go and get myself a decent set of 45-105 strings. If you can bring yourself to shell out £30, try a set of Warwick EMP 45- 105. They're coated strings with a really nice sound. Also, get one of those micro fibre cloths or a pack of j cloths and make a point of wiping down the strings after you finish playing. I get 6 months + out of mine, which is pretty good.[/quote]

Over the last 30 years I have tried many types of strings & eventually decided that I prefer flats. Without doubt the best strings I have ever had are the Tomastik Infield jazz flats, I have used nothing else for the last 5 years.

They last forever & get to sound better the older they get. I know they are not the cheapest to buy but one set will last you so long that in the end it will work out cheaper.

The set is JF344 gauge 43 - 100 & they can be ordered from [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk[/url].

My experience with Roundwounds . I play fingerstyle.

Ive tried many types of Roundwounds on different basses over the years but I always seem to keep coming back to Elites Stadium 40-100 ( in the gaudy blue and yellow packets). Not as expensive as many, but very musical and, although they start off bright, they soon settle in. On a modern 5 string with a 34" scale eg Stingray5 or G&L2500 I'd use Elites 45-105 for good power but with a 130 to help prevent flapping of the B string. This is if you dont mind fretting a string the thickness of a bridge support cable !

On a Rick 4003 I remeber using Elites 40,60,80 but replaced the usual 100 with a 105 because of the slightly shorter scale length.

I remember Thomastik Powerbass helped me with a fender with a dead spot (the change of strings minimised the dead spot, for some reason) but seemed to lack the musicality of the Elites on other basses

DR Low riders, Rotosound rounds (of all types) just dont seem to cut it for me, but worst of all were Warwick reds, which I found gave a strange grinding tone.

If you want a bright zinginess by the shedful, then Ernie ball stainless steel types are a good bet in my experience.

Just my 2pth which I hope will be useful

Edited by loweringthetone

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread- I've learnt an awful lot :)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='95703' date='Nov 28 2007, 06:12 PM']There is an informative thread on flats [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6496&st=0"]here[/url][/quote]

Excellent info in that ^^ thread too, great stuff.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='142285' date='Feb 18 2008, 09:50 AM']This gadgey does cheap strings... [url="http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Guitar-Strings-n-Things"]http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Guitar-Strings-n-Things[/url][/quote]

I used to use an old Pbass copy which i never changed the strings on, so I assume they were dull and dead. My replacement bass has brand new roto roundwounds on it, and I'm struggling with all the buzzing, clanking and finger noise- so I've ordered some D'addario chrome flats off the guy in the link above. Great service by the way, priced better than the few websites I checked, and they arrived nice and quick.

Just a quick question- when I do fit the flats to my bass, can the old roto's be put back on at some point if I want to? I never used to bother doing that with guitar strings as they are much cheaper, but as bass ones are quite expensive, and the roto's were fitted not long before I bought my bass (IE nearly new), it seems a shame to just bin them.

Thanks in advance :huh:

If you intend keeping the strings to possibly refit at a later date (which is quite valid if they are fairly fresh) then give them a good wipe with some form of string cleaner (at a push use a cloth sprayed with WD40), this will take any sweat/skin/crud off and then put them in some kind of packaging (a paper bag, the kind you've probably just thrown away that your strings came in would be good :) ). If you don't clean them you 'may' well find they are a bit cruddy next time you get them out (depending on your sweat and how how much use they got).

[quote name='Dan_Q' post='245810' date='Jul 23 2008, 12:38 AM']Lovely, thanks for the advice :) When you say string cleaner, is there such a dedicated product? I have WD40 and a rag, but if there is something better I can use then i'd rather do that. Cheers :huh:[/quote]

The nearest thing to string cleaner is something called Fast Fret which is intended as a string/fret cleaner.

[quote name='Dan_Q' post='245810' date='Jul 23 2008, 12:38 AM']Lovely, thanks for the advice :) When you say string cleaner, is there such a dedicated product? I have WD40 and a rag, but if there is something better I can use then i'd rather do that. Cheers :huh:[/quote]
[url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/36993/a/r/e/base"]These[/url] might be worth a punt...