- - - - -

The idea....

31 replies to this topic

Poll: Up for it? (122 member(s) have cast votes)

Is the forum a good idea?

1. Yes (119 votes [97.54%])

Percentage of vote: 97.54%

2. No (3 votes [2.46%])

Percentage of vote: 2.46%

Will you be able to contribute loops to the library?

1. Yes (23 votes [18.85%])

Percentage of vote: 18.85%

2. No (27 votes [22.13%])

Percentage of vote: 22.13%

3. Maybe (72 votes [59.02%])

Percentage of vote: 59.02%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ped

Général d’Armée

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,647 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 10:42 AM

Ok folks, here is the idea.

Several people have been looking for free loops to download and play along with for practice/recording at home. There have been some great examples of sites listed buy also several people said they were able to make some loops at home for others to use.

I was thinking if we had this forum split into genres people could look for a style, e.g. Hip Hop and then a tempo and find some loops to try. Members will be able to upload loops too, and there will be a forum to upload loops with your bass lines for discussion and to make requests for certain things.

So take part in the poll and be honest - if there are not enough people to make it work we can abort the idea. You don't have to create the loops yourself, you can link to free loops you find or upload them here if you have permission. One good example of such a site is this link: http://www.drumslive.com/freeloops.htm

We can discuss file types etc later but I think .Wav or even MP3 files would be good all rounders allowing people with various audio programmes to use them.

Let me know what you think - do the poll and post your ideas!

Cheers
ped
Find us on Facebook and Twitter

#2 Paul Cooke

Ex-Punk... now saving for a Zimmer frame...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • Interests:Good Basslines

Posted 06 October 2007 - 10:47 AM

View Postped, on Oct 6 2007, 11:42 AM, said:

Cheers
ped

you need a "maybe" option for the second half of the poll...

it won't let me vote for just the forum option and leave the contribute part un clicked...
Tanglewood TW55 A/Bass B Acoustic Bass
Tanglewood Warrior IV Bass
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
Vintage V950B Bass
Laney RB6 Combo
Boss ME-20B, Zoom B2.1u, Zoom A2.1U, Alesis SR16 drum machine
Tanglewood TH502 Semi Hollow Guitar
Fender DG-3 Acoustic Guitar
Yamaha F310 Acoustic Guitar
SX Strat Guitar
Feedback

#3 ped

Général d’Armée

• Administrators
  • 6,647 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 10:53 AM

Sorted Paul, thanks.

#4 DanOwens

Complexly connected synth-bass fan.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 11:26 AM

I do a lot of prep work for my students including sustained chords to practise scales over, drum grooves at various tempos in various styles and chord progressions. Its great for those who don't have access to logic or cubase.

I would do it if there were resources I could use too, though. And I'd like to know how people were using them and if it helped.

Dan

#5 steve

<bleep>

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts
  • Interests:bassist for

www.thecellarmachine.com

www.mrgsbluesband.co.uk

Posted 06 October 2007 - 11:27 AM

I think it's a great idea - it could be a really useful resource. I checked maybe because I have the technology, but time is an issue. I'd like to think I'd be able to contribute something tho'
ACG Recurve S Type 6 - Fender Precision - c1920s Czech ply DB - c1960s E European ply DB - Zoom MS-60b - GK MB112

My Facebook page - it would be lovely if you could drop in to say hello / like / share
My Basschat Feedback Thread
electric bass for The Cellar Machine double bass for Mr G's Blues Band
tuition website Manchester Bass Lessons
personal website http://www.stevemcevoy.net

Posted Image

#6 Mikey D

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:Bass, jazz, fusion, funk, cooking, teaching

Posted 06 October 2007 - 01:38 PM

Great idea. I will also be able to contribute.

#7 low note lee

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 03:07 PM

looks like it could be swaying towards a good idea... 7 votes, currently at 100% yes :)

yeah, sounds rad. I'm probably not experienced enough to contribute, but I'll give it a shot. I'll definitely use the resource if it's available; anything that improves my playing must be a good thing.

nothing can stop me now, 'cause i don't care anymore - NIN, Piggy

MacBook | Fender Highway1 Jazz | Canon S3 IS
hunter336.deviantART

WTB: Digitech Bass Whammy

#8 clauster

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:57 PM

Great idea!

'twould give me some motivation to get my Reason updated for the Intel Mac so I can write some loops to share with others. Much more satisfying for practise loops than my cheap drum machine,

#9 thewalruswaspaul

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:54 AM

Fantastic idea , That would be awesome

#10 urb

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 04:19 PM

Hey guys

Definitely like the idea of this forum - sharing stuff to help each other improve as players - or those who are just starting out with various styles and techniques is a great idea - I certainly try and contribute.

In the meantime I've been a member of this website - http://www.icompositions.com/ - it's free to sign up and there's nothing dodgy about it - it's basically for people who use Garage Band - I guess you don't have to but it's really interesting to see how creative you can be with this ultra basic bit of software. The really cool things with the site is that every month they give away loads of FREE Apple loops - I've downloaded tons of them over the last year and they really are good - covering all styles from funk to electronic dance grooves, sound effects and loads of percussion samples - it's well worth checking out and you can upload and host your tunes on there for FREE as well.

Hope some of you check it out

Cheers

Mike

My page is here http://www.icomposit.../artists/Munkio

#11 paul, the

meister poster affe schlampe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 04:35 PM

This is something I'm really looking forward to. When I first joined the forum I was surprised that the technique and theory section was such a baron wasteland. Perhaps this section will be BCs redemption.
“Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.”

~Plato

#12 Dave_funking_in_the_80s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:trying to get a powerful sound.

Posted 14 October 2007 - 03:50 PM

As a tryout I've dug out a groove off my Tascam 8 track and not included the bass, that's for you to do! The mp3 is dual channel mono so download the track, delete one channel and add your bass in its place. I'd really like to hear what you guys come up with.

I've rushed up a space at:-

bass jam

which should be a direct link, if not goto:-

http://www.soundclick.com/bonker999

and look "music" on the menu on the right then look for bass jam.

Edited by Dave_funking_in_the_80s, 14 October 2007 - 03:52 PM.

#13 alexclaber

Big Twin T - badder than you...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,547 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 04:08 PM

View Postpaul, the, on Oct 13 2007, 05:35 PM, said:

This is something I'm really looking forward to. When I first joined the forum I was surprised that the technique and theory section was such a baron wasteland.

I've always felt that theory and technique is so fundamental to bass playing that it should be in the general forum rather than in some little visited backwater.

Alex

#14 silverfoxnik

"Waiting for the gift of sound & vision.."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:58 PM

View Postped, on Oct 6 2007, 11:42 AM, said:

Ok folks, here is the idea.

Several people have been looking for free loops to download and play along with for practice/recording at home. There have been some great examples of sites listed buy also several people said they were able to make some loops at home for others to use.

I was thinking if we had this forum split into genres people could look for a style, e.g. Hip Hop and then a tempo and find some loops to try. Members will be able to upload loops too, and there will be a forum to upload loops with your bass lines for discussion and to make requests for certain things.

So take part in the poll and be honest - if there are not enough people to make it work we can abort the idea. You don't have to create the loops yourself, you can link to free loops you find or upload them here if you have permission. One good example of such a site is this link: http://www.drumslive.com/freeloops.htm

We can discuss file types etc later but I think .Wav or even MP3 files would be good all rounders allowing people with various audio programmes to use them.

Cheers
ped
Great Idea!

I don't have the technology to contribute but would love to find ways to improve my playing and this would really help that, so a big thumbs up from me :)

Nik
So many basses, so little time...

My Feedback

www.burningorgan.com

#15 funkysimon

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:39 PM

I can help out with some loops, though my software is incredibly naff (Hammerhead; search on this site for me looking for alternatives!) How about some loops that include chord sequences as well? I recorded an incredibly repetitious ii V I track (guitar + drums) ages ago that's nice to practice to. How about some old Real Book tunes as well? Though I'm hazy on where exactly the copyright lies with a lot of that stuff...

View Postpaul, the, on Oct 13 2007, 05:35 PM, said:

This is something I'm really looking forward to. When I first joined the forum I was surprised that the technique and theory section was such a baron wasteland. Perhaps this section will be BCs redemption.

I agree, I wonder how many people stray beyond "The Local". The number of "Moved" threads makes me think that people miss that there are other sections to the site!

#16 slazman

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:45 PM

Just what I am looking for ...
Fender Jaguar CIJ 'Hot Rod'
GK 700RB/210
My feedback

So the guy said "you should have started playing years ago" .... I KNOW! (but it is never too late)

#17 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:28 PM

Im so stupid.
Someone who can figure out the probably simple way to vote yes and yes please do so on my behalf.
Ta

#18 dr.funk

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 11:32 AM

I think you ned to register before you can vote :)
Formerly funky_bass_guy

#19 ped

Général d’Armée

• Administrators
  • 6,647 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:28 PM

Hehe yes I have set the permissions properly now. I was too excited for that boring stuff at the beginning. It looks like it might be worth setting this up tomorrow and see how it goes.

ped

#20 Normanbiscuit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 06:48 AM

Just a thought .......Any one out there use Garageband Drum loops?
As a MAC user I use this with a line 6 toneport and for a freebie it is stunning. The Toneport for around £125 is the best value and most enjoyable pices of kit I have ever bought in a life not exactly free from buying kit.
Rob

#21 ped

Général d’Armée

• Administrators
  • 6,647 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:25 PM

I used to use Garageband a lot at uni, brilliant fun!!

#22 Willl

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:09 AM

Great idea - on the basis I'd be keen to use any tools which would help me improve my playing.
For Groove Library newbies like myself, I suspect there may be value in an idiots guide to getting started - What gear's needed, how to go about using, then ultimately creating anything that might be of value to anyone else here....?
Anyone up for that?
Willl
Gigging Gear: Modulus Sonic Hammer, Stingray 3EQ, Gallien-Krueger RB1001-410, GK 410BLX.
Collecting Dust: Ibanez SR1200, Peavey Foundation, Trace Elliot AH300-12, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Warwick 411s, Trace Elliot 1818, Omni 10.5,
Punky Rocky Covers Party and Wedding Band in Bucks: The Spokes
Feedback

#23 paul, the

meister poster affe schlampe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:30 PM

'Groove Library' conjures up great literal images.
“Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.”

~Plato

#24 Graeme91

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 06:17 PM

Hey like the sound of that, would be good to have all the different types of music up, im sure it would be a great help to many more people aswell as me =)

#25 gilmour

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Interests:I play the bass that makes the breaks and separates tectonic plates.

Posted 22 November 2007 - 03:35 PM

View Postpaul, the, on Oct 13 2007, 04:35 PM, said:

lol - Isn't theory and Technique a baron wasteland for most bass players (you know who you are...)

#26 Jase

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 02:39 PM

Sounds good to me, got my vote. :)

#27 Happy Jack

I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated (yeah)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:28 PM

View Postgilmour, on Nov 22 2007, 03:35 PM, said:

lol - Isn't theory and Technique a baron wasteland for most bass players (you know who you are...)

PEDANT ALERT!

Baron Wasteland sounds like a character from a bad novel.

I suspect the word we want here is "barren".

:)
Feedback +++ YouTube Channel +++ Junkyard Dogs +++ Dani Molino +++ Karena Kelly +++ King Ralph

There is no "way to Happy-ness". Happy-ness IS the way.

#28 Bass Awkward

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Bass, both 'tree' and 'toy'; music of all sorts; electronics (where related to music); literature and literary theory; law, politics and 'current events'; the opposite sex; love; beauty; art; cats; macro-evolution in virii; photography; w/h/y/.

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

Okay, here's what's missing:

World music section....
Unusual meter section.....

The world music section should be geographically subdivided, and the funny-meter section should cross-reference the other entries (most often, this'll be 6/8 dances from whereverywhere) -

Thus:

Unusual Meter -> Simple Time -> /4

2/4 3/4 5/4 etc.

World -> South America -> Brazil

Afoxe, Afro-Brazilian 6/8, Bahiao, Bossa Nova, Choro, Frevo, Forro, Maracatu, Samba, Samba Reggae, etc., etc.

Within each of those styles, we could have a couple of examples of each sort of music, a little discussion of the common theoretical aspects from each and how their application can affect groove (i.e. clave 'modulation' in Cuba, or swapping upbeeats in Jamaica).

And we can have similarly long entries to Brazil for Cuba, Jamaica, Argentina, Indonesia, Bali, China, Japan, India (subdivided to Karnatka and Hindustani) and so on and on and on.

It must be worth it! Even Baron VonWasteland's heinous plans should not put us off!

#29 ped

Général d’Armée

• Administrators
  • 6,647 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:47 PM

This area isn't used much, is it? Perhaps it needs re-thinking or re-invigorating a bit.

#30 sarah thomas

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

I would love to hear a couple of examples of bossa nova with a little discussion of theoretical aspects. Can anyone help? I'm looking at Nature Boy and Song for My Father in particular, but would be grateful for any pointers on getting the groove.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users