- - - - -

The idea....

31 replies to this topic

Poll: Up for it? (122 member(s) have cast votes)

Is the forum a good idea?

1. Yes (119 votes [97.54%])

Percentage of vote: 97.54%

2. No (3 votes [2.46%])

Percentage of vote: 2.46%

Will you be able to contribute loops to the library?

1. Yes (23 votes [18.85%])

Percentage of vote: 18.85%

2. No (27 votes [22.13%])

Percentage of vote: 22.13%

3. Maybe (72 votes [59.02%])

Percentage of vote: 59.02%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 ped

Général d’Armée

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,647 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:25 PM

I used to use Garageband a lot at uni, brilliant fun!!
Find us on Facebook and Twitter

#22 Willl

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:09 AM

Great idea - on the basis I'd be keen to use any tools which would help me improve my playing.
For Groove Library newbies like myself, I suspect there may be value in an idiots guide to getting started - What gear's needed, how to go about using, then ultimately creating anything that might be of value to anyone else here....?
Anyone up for that?
Willl
Gigging Gear: Modulus Sonic Hammer, Stingray 3EQ, Gallien-Krueger RB1001-410, GK 410BLX.
Collecting Dust: Ibanez SR1200, Peavey Foundation, Trace Elliot AH300-12, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Warwick 411s, Trace Elliot 1818, Omni 10.5,
Punky Rocky Covers Party and Wedding Band in Bucks: The Spokes
Feedback

#23 paul, the

meister poster affe schlampe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:30 PM

'Groove Library' conjures up great literal images.
“Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.”

~Plato

#24 Graeme91

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 06:17 PM

Hey like the sound of that, would be good to have all the different types of music up, im sure it would be a great help to many more people aswell as me =)

#25 gilmour

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Interests:I play the bass that makes the breaks and separates tectonic plates.

Posted 22 November 2007 - 03:35 PM

View Postpaul, the, on Oct 13 2007, 04:35 PM, said:

This is something I'm really looking forward to. When I first joined the forum I was surprised that the technique and theory section was such a baron wasteland. Perhaps this section will be BCs redemption.

lol - Isn't theory and Technique a baron wasteland for most bass players (you know who you are...)

#26 Jase

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 02:39 PM

Sounds good to me, got my vote. :)

#27 Happy Jack

I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated (yeah)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:28 PM

View Postgilmour, on Nov 22 2007, 03:35 PM, said:

lol - Isn't theory and Technique a baron wasteland for most bass players (you know who you are...)

PEDANT ALERT!

Baron Wasteland sounds like a character from a bad novel.

I suspect the word we want here is "barren".

:)
Feedback +++ YouTube Channel +++ Junkyard Dogs +++ Dani Molino +++ Karena Kelly +++ King Ralph

There is no "way to Happy-ness". Happy-ness IS the way.

#28 Bass Awkward

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Bass, both 'tree' and 'toy'; music of all sorts; electronics (where related to music); literature and literary theory; law, politics and 'current events'; the opposite sex; love; beauty; art; cats; macro-evolution in virii; photography; w/h/y/.

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

Okay, here's what's missing:

World music section....
Unusual meter section.....

The world music section should be geographically subdivided, and the funny-meter section should cross-reference the other entries (most often, this'll be 6/8 dances from whereverywhere) -

Thus:

Unusual Meter -> Simple Time -> /4

2/4 3/4 5/4 etc.

World -> South America -> Brazil

Afoxe, Afro-Brazilian 6/8, Bahiao, Bossa Nova, Choro, Frevo, Forro, Maracatu, Samba, Samba Reggae, etc., etc.

Within each of those styles, we could have a couple of examples of each sort of music, a little discussion of the common theoretical aspects from each and how their application can affect groove (i.e. clave 'modulation' in Cuba, or swapping upbeeats in Jamaica).

And we can have similarly long entries to Brazil for Cuba, Jamaica, Argentina, Indonesia, Bali, China, Japan, India (subdivided to Karnatka and Hindustani) and so on and on and on.

It must be worth it! Even Baron VonWasteland's heinous plans should not put us off!

#29 ped

Général d’Armée

• Administrators
  • 6,647 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:47 PM

This area isn't used much, is it? Perhaps it needs re-thinking or re-invigorating a bit.

#30 sarah thomas

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

I would love to hear a couple of examples of bossa nova with a little discussion of theoretical aspects. Can anyone help? I'm looking at Nature Boy and Song for My Father in particular, but would be grateful for any pointers on getting the groove.

#31 walplayer

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:All things Bass!

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

I'd be happy to put some stuff up if i get time ,probably be wav or mp3 (?)

View PostBass Awkward, on 13 June 2011 - 05:43 PM, said:

Okay, here's what's missing:

World music section....
Unusual meter section.....

The world music section should be geographically subdivided, and the funny-meter section should cross-reference the other entries (most often, this'll be 6/8 dances from whereverywhere) -

Thus:

Unusual Meter -> Simple Time -> /4

2/4 3/4 5/4 etc.

World -> South America -> Brazil

Afoxe, Afro-Brazilian 6/8, Bahiao, Bossa Nova, Choro, Frevo, Forro, Maracatu, Samba, Samba Reggae, etc., etc.

Within each of those styles, we could have a couple of examples of each sort of music, a little discussion of the common theoretical aspects from each and how their application can affect groove (i.e. clave 'modulation' in Cuba, or swapping upbeeats in Jamaica).

And we can have similarly long entries to Brazil for Cuba, Jamaica, Argentina, Indonesia, Bali, China, Japan, India (subdivided to Karnatka and Hindustani) and so on and on and on.

It must be worth it! Even Baron VonWasteland's heinous plans should not put us off!
That sounds like a lot of work ,can't we just post something as "world/ethnic" ? What if i used a tabla plus a djembe in a loop?Why Does everything have to be so catergorised i mean.

View Postped, on 13 June 2011 - 06:47 PM, said:

This area isn't used much, is it? Perhaps it needs re-thinking or re-invigorating a bit.
which area?
Life's a g.a.s.

#32 ped

Général d’Armée

• Administrators
  • 6,647 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

View Postwalplayer, on 03 February 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

I'd be happy to put some stuff up if i get time ,probably be wav or mp3 (?)

That sounds like a lot of work ,can't we just post something as "world/ethnic" ? What if i used a tabla plus a djembe in a loop?Why Does everything have to be so catergorised i mean.

which area?

The Groove Library in general.. I hope this will change as we buy some additional thing sof rthe site such as a built in media player among other things!

Cheers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users