Why become a member? ×

Nerves

beerdragon

I'm starting to get a few butterflies at the the moment. we are playing at a local pub tonight and as well as friends and family i know few people from other bands who have a night off are coming plus workmates, i know the guys from other bands come to gigs to scrutanize and maybe criticise. i really should'nt care and i can only do what i can do. still got those nerves though,
I'm using a Hartke 400watt head and this cab, so its not as if they wont hear me!
[attachment=2660:4200_073...9c1967fe.jpg]

[quote name='beerdragon' post='70350' date='Oct 6 2007, 04:16 PM']I'm starting to get a few butterflies at the the moment. we are playing at a local pub tonight and as well as friends and family i know few people from other bands who have a night off are coming plus workmates, i know the guys from other bands come to gigs to scrutanize and maybe criticise. i really should'nt care and i can only do what i can do. still got those nerves though,
I'm using a Hartke 400watt head and this cab, so its not as if they wont hear me!
[attachment=2660:4200_073...9c1967fe.jpg][/quote]

They probably won't notice any subtle mistakes, what's obvious to you will probably slip past most people - and lets face it, a lot of non-musos don't know what a bass guitar is. Musos will be/have been in a similar position and most will be supportive, at least to your face. The thing I do is to accept I'll probably make a couple of mistakes but just enjoy myself anyway.

You can't please all the people all the time. If you're going to get up on a stage you need to be prepared for the fact that not everyone will think you're fantastic. Most people will love what you do-great! Some won't. That's the way it goes-ignore them and do what you do and enjoy yourself-if they don't like it, well that's shame, but you can't help that-don't let it spoil it for you.

I can tell you from my experience presenting to large rooms of people professionally, as well as the usual gigging, that nerves are VERY much a state of mind. There are some things you can do to help increase your confidence and the most important is PREPARATION. Simply put, its not possible to over prepare for something. Secondly, it does get easier with experience (especially, as has already been mentioned, when you start to understand what the audience DON'T hear). Thirdly even if I still have nerves then I find it helps to at least act like someone who is confident even if I'm not. That means taking some time out to put yourself in the shoes of someone who is relaxed and confident and visualising how you want to come across, so that you get the audience reaction you're after. Again, that gets easier with experience.

At the end of the day, smell the fear. Then do it anyway. :)

I'm lucky that I don't suffer with nerves but other members of the band do, and that manifests itself in a number of ways - from incessant knob twiddling through to hissy fits etc. A tip I was given once when doing talks to large numbers of people is to make eye contact and smile/nod with some people in the audience before proceedings begin. It helps to break the ice and relaxes the atmosphere somehow. I keep visiting the friendly faces during the gig and smiling - works for me.

It went ok. during the sound check we were asked to turn it down because they had been complaints about the noise. our drummer can only play one way, and thats loud, so we did'nt take to much notice of the request noone mentioned it again anyway. apart from a couple of finger fumblings and one serious mess up on the start of one song during the first set, second set no problems. i enjoyed it, we are just a bass. guitar and drums and singer band and i had this awsome sound coming from the Hartke set up, pity its not mine, i was just borrowing it untill i get sorted with some kit. but we had a really full sound going. thanks for all the advice. thats why i keep coming back here.

Good, as long as you enjoyed it!
time to start saving up for a hartke.
The punk band i'm in always gets asked to turn it down but just like your band our drummer is a one volume only kinda guy. Actually been told 'you're too loud and you're not gettin to play' a few times :)

I used to always forget that the people who know the structure and parts of a song most is of course the band themselves. If you do a mistake most punters won't know at all, I think most gigging musicians have had an experience where they have got off stage cussing about how awful a set was then someone's come up and disagreed completely.

[quote name='fusionbassist1' post='70590' date='Oct 7 2007, 12:19 PM']I used to always forget that the people who know the structure and parts of a song most is of course the band themselves. If you do a mistake most punters won't know at all, I think most gigging musicians have had an experience where they have got off stage cussing about how awful a set was then someone's come up and disagreed completely.[/quote]
last gig that we had was exactly that, i came off from the ssecond set which is normally the one that goes well and had a right strop on, really pissed off, but everyone that came up to me said it was really good.
guess you'll have good nights and bad ones but there usually seem to be more good than bad.

Im with Kiwi on this - Nerves are about your state of mind and the level of self belief/confidence you have in yourself.

I no longer get nerves as I have a lot of gigging experience, and ive played to some really tough crowds - ive been slated big time by people who dont know what they are talking about, ive been heckled, booed, even had someone throw a drink at me once because the crowd just decided they didnt like us and wanted us to feck orf.

The important thing is to keep going, no matter what, dont react, and at least try to look like you are enjoyign yourself. The last few gigs ive done have been great fun and ive played with a smile on my face (amongst other gurning) and i find the crowd are listening to the bigger picture - you can get away with a few bum notes!

Glad you enjoyed the gig, and you wont have any worries with Hartke - im probably going to look to sell my 410 XL cab soon as I want to get hold of something lighter, like a Tech 4x10 or 6x10 (havent decided yet) - also going to have a Hartke 3500 with 12ax7m tube pre available soon - if you are interested then let me know!

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it! :)

I played my very first gig (as in first one ever in my life) last Friday night, I wondered when the nerves would kick in, for the weeks leading up to the gig I just remained in denial (ah - it's ages away yet kinda thing), as the night approached, no nerves, travelling there - nothing, got there, got set-up - not a flutter, bass tuned and ready to go - all smiles, drummer counted us in with the sticks - total terror! brain opened up emergency negotiations with rectal muscles to remain in operations, sweat glands thought they were working for Red Adair and I tried to bring the fretboard into focus as my nervous system was dealing with the effects of a vitual 14 pints of espresso.

Bang, the song started and almost in an out-of-body-experience type state I plumbed G 7 times sliding down to F on the 8th, quite soon on I made an slight error (nothing that an audience would pick up on) and tensed in fear of making another mistake to which I did almost immediately then the fear snapped, a realisation rushed over me as my body relaxed, the mistakes were irrevant (yeah, would have been happier not making them), I was there, I was playing and it sounded good - no more fear, totally relaxed and smiled my way though the set - loved it!

Now of course I'm like a kid with a new toy and want to gig every night :huh:

I kinda like the nerves tbh, makes you feel better once you get going and its new everytime :)

PS, if people tell you to turn down but cant because of the drummer. Get everyone to walk to their amp, turn the volume down and then turn it bk to the same volume, works all the time.

Especially if you say " is that better" the reply is always "yeah thanks"

:huh:

these days i suffer from nerves really badly - and its not good!

never used to bother me in the old days - i think its an age thing, now i'm 38 i just feel more kinda exposed and less confident generally than i did in my youth. its definitely not about lack of confidence in my abilities or inexperience because i've done hundreds of gigs in my time. annoys me though as it spoils alot of gigs. the worst bit is all the waiting around between soundchaeck and actually playing....brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

peace

c

[quote name='beerdragon' date='Oct 6 2007, 04:16 PM' post='70350']
I'm starting to get a few butterflies at the the moment. we are playing at a local pub tonight and as well as friends and family i know few people from other bands who have a night off are coming plus workmates, i know the guys from other bands come to gigs to scrutanize and maybe criticise. i really should'nt care and i can only do what i can do. still got those nerves though,
[attachment=2660:4200_073...9c1967fe.jpg]

MB1. :)
I find a box of senokot and six pints of lager works wonders!.........youll shift some air with that!

[quote name='3V17C' post='71003' date='Oct 8 2007, 12:54 PM']these days i suffer from nerves really badly - and its not good!

never used to bother me in the old days - i think its an age thing, now i'm 38 i just feel more kinda exposed and less confident generally than i did in my youth. its definitely not about lack of confidence in my abilities or inexperience because i've done hundreds of gigs in my time. annoys me though as it spoils alot of gigs. the worst bit is all the waiting around between soundchaeck and actually playing....brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!
peace

c[/quote]

After years of playing and plenty of live experience, all manner of gigs I still get nervous, ( I'm 38 too 3V17C) all the time, every gig with out fail.
Weird, you'd think you'd be able to shake it off or just become used to it...nope not me, I suppose it keeps me on my toes though and when you say "brrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!" I know exactly what you mean :)