Why become a member? ×

BB415 gets "thumbs up"

Guest MoJo

I've owned my Yamaha BB415 for 6 months now and love it to bits. I was playing at a Wedding last night and during the interval was approached by one of the guests who announced that he was a bass player too and loved the sound I was getting out of the Yamaha.
I said "It's incredible when you considered what I paid for it"
"How much?" he enquired,"if you don't mind me asking"
When I told him it was only £229, brand new, his jaw dropped.
"For a [i]five[/i] string?"
"Yes," I replied and I bought it just up the road from here at the Guitar Workshop in Ibstock.
A quick scan on ebay this morning revealed that they are now selling brand new BB415's for £218.
This guy plays an American Fender Jazz V and for him to comment on the clarity of the tone and punch from the bargain basement Yamaha is praise indeed in my eyes.
I defy anyone to find better value-for-money than the BB415 at £218 [i][b]brand new[/b][/i]

Mark

They are great little basses. I was impressed by a 615 I tried. Same thing with the added pre-amp. Sounded good passive or active. Tight B. In the world of cheapies, I would consider :

- Ibanez BTB 405QM.
- Ibanez ATK305.
- Yamaha BB415 / 615.
- Ibanez SR505.

That would be my GAS list is I was broke. Ibanez makes great low to mid-range basses.

If Squier can repeat the quality/value trick they performed with the Vintage Modified series with a 5-string version, they'd be formidable...

I was waiting for my car to have new brake pads fitted, and spent 2 hours in a nearby guitar shop. I played my way through about 20 basses, mainly Deans, Ibanez, Fenders, Corts, G&L tributes and a Tokai. Prices ranged from <£200 to >£900.

The best (for me) were an Ibanez BTB 400/405, and the Squier 70's VM Jazz. There was a CIJ Marcus Miller Jazz and a (MIA) Fender Deluxe Jazz in amongst those tried. They were okay, but not £650 better than the VMJ. The expensive Cort was hamstrung by some truly dead strings, though.

I was using an Ashdown 2x10 combo of some sort. I really didn't like it much (!)