Why become a member? ×

E series Fender Japan Special £400

Cat Burrito

A friend of mine (always a bad start to a For Sale thread but he's probably the one mate I'd plug for) is offering a Fender Precision Special in black for sale. It's the Japan legendary E series and is in good nick. This would put it between 1984-7 for a year of manufactor. I played it today and it was a good example - I'm more of a 70s guy so this is a bit too 80s for my tastes but I figured someone here might be interested. Nice and light with a good neck and a good overall feel to it. It comes with a fitted hard case.

Money wise £400 seems to be the going rate for these basses. As a minimum I'd describe it as a future classic. I'm off work this week so anyone is welcome to come and try it (I'm in Thatcham, Berkshire). I'd rather not do Paypal as any sales through BC I'd prefer to donate to the site rather than "the man". I will post UK recorded at a push but prefer dealing face to face with people - check my feedback - as it is through a third party so I'd like to be certain everyone is 100% happy. Thanks for looking. Oh and no trades I'm afraid. Cheers

NOW SOLD!

Edited by BurritoBass

Nice looking bass, but pretty sure this isnt a Precision Lyte- i've owned 2 (still have one)
The 80's CIJ lyte's would have a matching painted heatstock (typically)-the word LYTE in scroll being clearly visible.
The pickup config would be P&J with active preamp (four knobs)
and the body is roughly 3/4 the size of a standard precison.
The later Japanese and much later American made Lyte Deluxe models would have p and humbucking pup configs.

What this is, IMO, is a CIJ Precison Special (same series as the famous jazz specials from the same period)
Cheers
Basshead56

[quote name='basshead56' post='649862' date='Nov 9 2009, 05:25 PM']Nice looking bass, but pretty sure this isnt a Precision Lyte- i've owned 2 (still have one)
The 80's CIJ lyte's would have a matching painted heatstock (typically)-the word LYTE in scroll being clearly visible.
The pickup config would be P&J with active preamp (four knobs)
and the body is roughly 3/4 the size of a standard precison.
The later Japanese and much later American made Lyte Deluxe models would have p and humbucking pup configs.

What this is, IMO, is a CIJ Precison Special (same series as the famous jazz specials from the same period)
Cheers
Basshead56[/quote]

Thanks for this. Ironically I thought it was a Special until I googled and stumbled across the Lyte. Should've stuck with my instincts. It reminds me of Duff McKagan's bass from the early G 'n' R days (but not white!). Anyhow, post modified to reflect your update. Ta

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='649887' date='Nov 9 2009, 05:50 PM']Thanks for this. Ironically I thought it was a Special until I googled and stumbled across the Lyte. Should've stuck with my instincts. It reminds me of Duff McKagan's bass from the early G 'n' R days (but not white!). Anyhow, post modified to reflect your update. Ta[/quote]

S'tru

Lytes come in several flavours but this isn't one of them :)

Hey Guys and Mr Buritto.

I thought you would of messaged me first, knowing my Duff stuff.

This is very similar to my Jazz Bass Special from the same era, just without the Jazz pickup and neck.

This is from the Fender Japan "Boxer" Series, and the model number was PB-551. They are rare as rocking-horse sh*te and are killer basses for the money. I have purchased the more popular Jazz Bass Specials for under £400. So the asking price maybe a little steep? All i can remember spec wise is it should have a P-4D Hot Rod Pickup and a TBX pot, and sold for 55,000 YEN? I saw one sell a while ago for $510

I love this bass, however i do not have £400!

You should buy it Buritto, revive your love for G N R! I know your secret!

I have exactly the same as this bass and I can confirm it's a fantastic bass. The neck is quite wide but great to play and the hot rodded PUPs makes sense as if you look at the pole pieces you can see they are oversized, similar to SPB3 QPs and it has big sound.

Had to repalce the bridge on mine as it's very corroded, and I changed the control knobs. No case with mine but I feel £400 is a fair deal for this bass especially as it's a bit different from the rest.

It's all black and very sexxxxay! :)

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

[quote name='chriswilliams666' post='895839' date='Jul 15 2010, 06:15 PM']Thanks :-p Thread Resurrection of the week![/quote]

Yeah we're discussing another one over here on [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=95043&view=findpost&p=894818"]"how to value my basses"[/url]
:)