Why become a member? ×

Hate mail!!!

3V17C

[quote name='3V17C' post='71008' date='Oct 8 2007, 01:03 PM']It was the musical equivalent of aural rape.

c[/quote]
What a great band name!...........
Here in darkest Wales, criticism generaly takes the form of a flying beer bottle rather than anthing as posh as email. Personally I'd take the retro jibe as a compliment.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='71092' date='Oct 8 2007, 04:03 PM']Possibly - from what I've seen people seldom take much notice of unsolicited advice no matter how constructive it is. I've seen it before where good advice is rejected out of hand as its seen as criticism or oneupmanship. If someone hasn't asked "what do you think?" its usually best to keep quiet.[/quote]
+1
" it is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"
Jake

[quote name='Alun' post='71153' date='Oct 8 2007, 06:17 PM']Hee hee, my suggestion for a very short reply would be....

"Hi, thanks for the email. I'm guessing from your comments that you may yourself be a musician? If so, we had a gig you didn't ner ner"

Mature aren't I?[/quote]

haha, i prefer this to 3v17c's reply. short and to the point :)

on the other hand, i loved the webbed feet and the mother/sister thing, i was rolling with laughter.

and i've got a reply back from him! to whit:
[color="#4B0082"]

Whooooooooooo.........!!!! Cage well and truly rattled I see... Job done then.

However, I see no reason for you to resort to "personal insults"... Now that really does show up your attitude. That is crass.
However, do keep up the "we're musicians" pretence, I reluctantly sort of admire it....... you know, the "more volume = more talent" argument. It becomes you.

Happy to be "in the minority" as you put it.

Bye, over and out.....

p.s. Spandex and flying V's. Now there's a thought for you...!!!
p.p.s. Me...country...? Not likely. I have to confess that G13th #9 chords are where I'm at matey..!! [/color]

seems he is the type who sets out to rattle peoples cages so obviously not a particularly nice person especially as he doesn't even know us. the 'personal insults' he refers to i would call humorous jibes to try to keep things civil WITHOUT getting personal (i guess the bit about his mum/sister). i AM going to reply to him but then that will be that - i'm not getting into a long winded thing with him because he's really not worth it - i do like to have my say however. stay tuned!

peace

c

Seeing as he seems to think he's really good, just ask him when his next gig is so you and the band can come and get some pointers.

Be really civil and not a single bad comment or snide remark.

If he has a gig and tells you: Go and heckle the c*** off the stage.

If not, reply that it's a shame, but at least you're out and about doing gigs no matter how bad you are, after all, music isn't about technique or being good, it's about getting people to enjoy themselves, which it seems alot of people were doing at the gig, and something he's not doing while sitting at home and insulting bands which he hasn't even got the bollocks to say to their faces.

[quote name='Buzz' post='71254' date='Oct 8 2007, 08:55 PM']Seeing as he seems to think he's really good, just ask him when his next gig is so you and the band can come and get some pointers.

Be really civil and not a single bad comment or snide remark.

If he has a gig and tells you: Go and heckle the c*** off the stage.

If not, reply that it's a shame, but at least you're out and about doing gigs no matter how bad you are, after all, music isn't about technique or being good, it's about getting people to enjoy themselves, which it seems alot of people were doing at the gig, and something he's not doing while sitting at home and insulting bands which he hasn't even got the bollocks to say to their faces.[/quote]

Perhaps it's a strage way of auditioning for that "3rd guitarist" spot he suggested ...

i [i]had[/i] to reply...

[color="#4B0082"]hi again!

Cage not rattled at all. You took the trouble to email - I took the trouble to respond is all. ('personal insults' as you call them were meant to be light hearted jibes to avoid anything getting nasty - believe me I [i]can[/i] do personal insults but choose not too as I don't even know you!) I would however question the merits of a person like yourself who sets out to antagonize somebody they don't even know ('cage well and truly rattled - job done then'.

Regardless of what you may think and your apparent musical snobbery (a jazz man eh?!) I personally am quite content with my level of ability on my chosen instrument and with over 25 years of playing, recording and touring nationally and in Europe I do kind of think I know what I'm doing. Despite these days playing in a common or garden cheesy rock band (which is apparently some lower form of life) I have a background in, and listen to, many different styles of music and I have the techniques and the chops to back it up. You'd be surprised what some of the others in the band can do too.

The songs we play may not be the most technical compositions in the world and for me as the bassist the simple root note basslines aren't particularly demanding but that is how the songs were originally written so that is how we play them. We're a covers band after all!

Next time we play, come and say hello! Bring your guitar if you want and you are by all means welcome to show us what you can do. I really would be interested to hear a clearly superior musician like yourself first hand. Alternatively, point me to one of your gigs/recordings/website whatever. Either way we play instruments and gig regularly - in my book that makes us musicians.

At the end of the day we enjoy what we do and (apart from the odd person like yourself!) most other people seem to enjoy it too which is why 9 times out of 10 whenever we play somewhere for the first time we're repeatedly booked back. It may not be your cup of tea, as I'm sure what you listen to isn't mine but to each his own

Peace[/color]

[quote name='3V17C' post='71298' date='Oct 9 2007, 06:22 AM']Next time we play, come and say hello! Bring your guitar if you want and you are by all means welcome to show us what you can do.[/quote]

Touche'

Thats the spirit.

Listening to Iron Maiden is not particularly to my musical taste but I have been in bands where I've had to play some of their songs and as simple as the bass lines are, I gotta say I had a hell of a lot of fun doing it.

This guy obviously has no other way of getting a feeling of musical relevence other than by baiting other musicians.

I mean anyone who wants to compare Iron Maiden and G13th #9 chords is obviously an idiot. :)

"I managed to put up with your onslaught for 10 minutes and then had to leave the building."

Well... I know people in music magazines have been caught out writing reviews for gigs they didn't attend (and where something noteworthy happened, like the band cancelled) but this guy also managed to assess your (presumably) 2x45 minute sets from just 10 minutes. Whats that? half a song? That really is a skill.. How did he know you didn't play a G13 #9 later on in the evening?

Keep it going, I'm really enjoying this thread, especially as I often offer advice to bands :)

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='71443' date='Oct 9 2007, 09:52 AM']Er guys, that's not the high road. The high road is not responding, or sending a response like "Thank you for your comments - we appreciate fan feedback".

I'd just let it die.[/quote]

But then there would be no 'fun' thread....

And twats like that need to be responded to and invited to show everyone their one jazz chord.... :)

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='71662' date='Oct 10 2007, 01:01 AM']at practice last night our drummer said that someone had suggested we put a suggestion box by the door when we do a gig though i think that may just be asking for trouble[/quote]

OK the fact that it was the drummer that made the suggestion made me chuckle.. :)

Your drumbing is as good as my spelling. :)

---

I was a little offended by your first response. It's wrong to stereotype the 'nature people', they don't all live in the stone ages or practice inbreeding. I, in fact am thinking of becoming a 'nature person'. I'm interested in living a simpler and I have a very attractive cousin.