Why become a member? ×

Are modeling amps - accurate?

Pbassred

[quote name='MB1' post='7845' date='May 27 2007, 09:59 PM']MB1. :huh:

some good advice there kiddies from your uncle old git!take heed!!!make sure you disconnect the peavey from the mains supply before urinating on it.[/quote]

My dad once pissed on an electric cow fence ... no fun at all, I can tell you :)
Hey MB1 you may be able to buy my BAM soon if you need a urinal alternative :huh:

Not being funny now but can I ask what bass you play and through what rig (and what kind of music) ?
Cheers

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='7857' date='May 27 2007, 10:25 PM']My dad once pissed on an electric cow fence ... no fun at all, I can tell you :)[/quote]

Was that before or after you were born? Just want to know how 'not fun' it might be just in case I get caught short during an evening jog through the country park nearby.

Also, on the occasions where I've seen bands overdo effects it's been one or two effects or most that have been overused - fuzz and wah are the usual guilty parties - especially in the hands of an irritating bass player desperate to show off a few slap lines.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='7939' date='May 28 2007, 08:20 AM']Was that before or after you were born? Just want to know how 'not fun' it might be just in case I get caught short during an evening jog through the country park nearby.[/quote]

Oh I was there .. and my brothers .. we were all laughing for some time :)
He said it was a very sharp experience but he walked home OK :huh:

MB1. :)

Keeps getting weirder and weirder this,sorry to hear about your dad mate,seems i hit a nerve there, or at least your dad did anyway.paul mccartney could perhaps make a song out of that"dont go pissing on cattlefence"??or chasing polarbears either indeed.before anybody thinks im having a go at paul mccartney, im not, he actually did write that,about the polarbears and frogs as well.innovative and informative!!!bassbloke always iffy buying a discontinued high tech amp off anybody regardless of what your thinking of doing with it(this includes urinating on it).amps like tvs do store a certain amount of power so i wouldnt recomend urinating on them switched on or off.

MB1.

[quote name='ped' post='8060' date='May 28 2007, 01:31 PM']More top advice.[/quote]

I think "Don't piss on amps" should go in the beginners' advice thread somewhere, just in case my dad ever takes up bass (unlikely as he's bashimg a nice white piano somewhere backing Paul Robeson, I'd imagine)

Well, what an interesting discussion, just like the old BW days eh!

I've recently bought a Roland Cube 100 as a stopgap having had to sell my Warwick rig for hopefully short-term space-saving reasons. I'm not a hugely experienced bass player and am still searching for 'my sound' I guess. I have a lovely Fender Precision, Fender Jazz, Modulus Flea and a Shergold Marathon, and I love them all. The Cube's modelling capabilities have allowed me to really play with the sounds in a way that having only one rig never permitted. Specifically it's really opened my eyes to the fact that the amp is an instrument as much as the guitar - there are riffs I can play well on one model which I simply cannot play on another (i.e., they sound poorly defined or weak), there are models on which the Flea might sound awesome and the Precision sh*t and vice versa (the Precision on Flip Top is to die for and the Flea and the Jazz on the Studio model likewise), there are models which sound great in a solo situation but not live and vice versa. I know I'm not really addressing the original question relating to the authenticity of the models, but certainly as an educational/instructional tool the verious models have been extremely useful, in fact I dread to think how many basses might have remained at Beedster Towers rather than being sent to the 'bay had I been able to make them sound like I expected them to sound when I bought them. In the short term, and despite having just bought a new Trace head, I'm certainly going to run this thing through the PA, giving myself as much flexibility and scope for exploring my sound as possible. Like all of us I guess, I'd really like to have one bass and one setting that works really well most of the time. I think the amp modelling I'm using will certainly speed up that process, allowing me in future to have, prior to the session or gig, a clearer idea of the characteristics of the sound I need with any one bass in any one number. The playing around with models I'm doing currently will no doubt inform my future selection of amplification.

I read the post above about the guy with the classic Stingray sound that worked on only two of twently songs and thought "sh*t, I think that might have been me". I cannot see how anyone could argue that amp models are a bad thing any more than variation in amps and cabs is a bad thing. They're just another tool really, and like any tool, if you use it badly, to f**k up the job.

Good discussion above though, enjoyed reading it :)
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='9161' date='May 30 2007, 01:22 PM']Well, what an interesting discussion, just like the old BW days eh!

I've recently bought a Roland Cube 100 as a stopgap having had to sell my Warwick rig for hopefully short-term space-saving reasons. I'm not a hugely experienced bass player and am still searching for 'my sound' I guess. I have a lovely Fender Precision, Fender Jazz, Modulus Flea and a Shergold Marathon, and I love them all. The Cube's modelling capabilities have allowed me to really play with the sounds in a way that having only one rig never permitted. Specifically it's really opened my eyes to the fact that the amp is an instrument as much as the guitar - there are riffs I can play well on one model which I simply cannot play on another (i.e., they sound poorly defined or weak), there are models on which the Flea might sound awesome and the Precision sh*t and vice versa (the Precision on Flip Top is to die for and the Flea and the Jazz on the Studio model likewise), there are models which sound great in a solo situation but not live and vice versa. I know I'm not really addressing the original question relating to the authenticity of the models, but certainly as an educational/instructional tool the verious models have been extremely useful, in fact I dread to think how many basses might have remained at Beedster Towers rather than being sent to the 'bay had I been able to make them sound like I expected them to sound when I bought them. In the short term, and despite having just bought a new Trace head, I'm certainly going to run this thing through the PA, giving myself as much flexibility and scope for exploring my sound as possible. Like all of us I guess, I'd really like to have one bass and one setting that works really well most of the time. I think the amp modelling I'm using will certainly speed up that process, allowing me in future to have, prior to the session or gig, a clearer idea of the characteristics of the sound I need with any one bass in any one number. The playing around with models I'm doing currently will no doubt inform my future selection of amplification.

I read the post above about the guy with the classic Stingray sound that worked on only two of twently songs and thought "sh*t, I think that might have been me". I cannot see how anyone could argue that amp models are a bad thing any more than variation in amps and cabs is a bad thing. They're just another tool really, and like any tool, if you use it badly, to f**k up the job.

Good discussion above though, enjoyed reading it :huh:
Chris[/quote]

Yeah but are they accurate ????? :)

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn"

Just to throw my tuppence worth in,

I have owned every variation of pod, Loved them all. For me it enabled me to dial in a particular sound and like beedster i found it just helped me play some songs that i had been struggling with.
At one particular moment in time i even had a variax bass and a pod xt pro, so how did it work out? well if i used the Hofner model on the variax and a bassman on the pod it did indeed sound authentic. The variax lasted a mere month or two it really gave me too many choices, i have to say i only really used the fender and stingray models so i just traded it for a good jazz.

For me it gave me an opportunity to play around with different sounds without having to go and buy a warehouse full of amps, live it scared the crap out if me so i ended up using the svt setting all the time for fear of pressing the wrong button!
One area there the modeling stuff shines is for recording stuff at home, i have a little boss micro br and the modeled output recorded onto that is just frighteningly good and I'm sure ive heard worse on records.

Currently i have a line 6 studio 110, awesome little box, is it accurate? don't know. the most important thing for me now is my bass, a darkstar pickup, a six position varitone switch and playing dynamics are enough to keep me happy. Next gig worthy amp? Trace v-type (or similar) and 15" + 2x10" and maybe a OD pedal with 2 settings.

The pods helped me discover what i need to get the sounds i want but now i think i prefer the simple approach.

[quote name='MB1' post='9252' date='May 30 2007, 03:07 PM']MB1. :huh:

Check out - off topic - audience depreciation-written by the wigfinder general. no amount of amp modelings gonna help you out with that one![/quote]

Maybe he read your advice about urinating on amps and was trying an alternative way to put out "the fire"
:)
Good spot mate

Edited by OldGit