Why become a member? ×

Synergy...

Lfalex v1.1

As the thread title says, post the best combinations of equipment you've used. Please explain what made it special so that those interested in a certain sound, feel or range of features can explore some suggestions... It doesn't have to be your rig, it can be one you've tried/ used, too.
(Wasn't too sure where to post this, so please move it if needs be, mods!)

My opening gambits;

[b]Bass:[/b]1997 Warwick Streamer LX VI (Strung with Steel Rotosound Strings)
[b]Pre-amp:[/b] Ampeg SVP-PRo
[b]Power amp:[/b] QSC PLX1202
[b]Cabinet:[/b] Trace Elliot 1048h

Why? Superb growl from the Wenge neck and Maple body. Good weighty tone from the heavy Maple body. All-Valve tone from the Ampeg, Oodles of power (1400w Bridged) from the QSC, which really lifted the performance of the otherwise ordinary 1048h to new levels.
None of these components came from the same manufacturer, yet they all perform excellently together. A good all-round set-up for a rock/prog rock sound.
A bit heavy to lug around, though!

[b]Bass:[/b] Ibanez EDB600, a Luthite one. (Strung with DR FatBeams) + A Fat finger.
[b]Pre-amp:[/b] Hartke VXL Bass Attack (Pedal)
[b]Mixer:[/b] Phonic 1202
[b]Headphones:[/b] Sennheiser HD215

The perfect home practice set-up (for me) Cleanest Hi-Fi tone you could want, especially if you bypass the VXL's controls and use it as a DI box. The Ibanez's Pick-ups and 3-band EQ provide plenty of adjustment, tone wise. I plug an MP3 player into the mixer to jam along to songs. The headphones are closed-back, which means I don't disturb anyone, nor they me. There's very little tonal colouration from anything but the bass itself.
The VXL can use 9v battery power, an external adaptor (I got a well regulated 1000mAh one from Maplin) OR Phantom power from the mixer. I forgot that it could provide it at first, but the 48v power gives the VXL tons of clean headroom.
Super clean, Super quiet (noise-wise), doesn't disturb anyone, very compact (I can get all but the bass in a 9"x6"x18" case) and so cheap it hurts (£250 inc. all cables and the bass, but excluding the MP3 player)

It's going to France with me next time I go there on hols, but it's left me GASsing for an original-style Steinberger to make it more compact still!

I can't get over the sounds I get with my new combination of Little Mark II & Schroeder 1212L. It sounds particularly good with my Ned Steinberger CR5M, but also works wonders with basses that were difficult to get a really good sound from with other amps such as a '97 Squier musicmaster and an Ashbory.

Sorry for the lazy answer.. But by far my happiest times were with the following rig:

EMG pups - (P style)
Ampeg SVT2 Pro on Harma Valves
Hartke 4.5XL cabs x2

(I havent included fx and signal processing)

Absolutely LOVED the tone.. but was such a hefty rig.

I downsized to using an AMPEG SVP PRO (that I sold) and poweramp, which was still fantastic and then finally shrunk down to the truely awesome TECH SOUNDSYSTEMS cabs. That I foolishly sold! DOH! lol lol

I have managed full circle having bought and sold loads of kit and am using an SVP again (awww I missed it!!) having toyed with buying the likes of *insert name of uber hifi preamp here* etc etc.

I haven't actually had the chance to use my Epifani cab in anger yet, so I can't add it to the list just yet!

Gotta say though, I'm with Alex on the SVP thing. A really great preamp, despite its foibles.

Not bass related, but Pete Townshend used to swear that there was a synergy between certain guitars/amps that surpassed anything you could get out of them in different combinations, The example he gave wasn't what you'd imagine either, being a Gretsch/Vibrolux (or something along those lines).

For bass it'd have to be Precision/Ampeg.

Though you all knew that anyway. :)

[quote name='Musky' post='71334' date='Oct 8 2007, 11:01 PM']Not bass related, but Pete Townshend used to swear that there was a synergy between certain guitars/amps that surpassed anything you could get out of them in different combinations, The example he gave wasn't what you'd imagine either, being a Gretsch/Vibrolux (or something along those lines).

For bass it'd have to be Precision/Ampeg.

Though you all knew that anyway. :)[/quote]

This was the sort of thought that inspired the thread, not that I'd heard Townshend express it in those terms.
There are definitely combinations in which the whole exceeds the sum of the parts.

I have noticed that the Ampeg pre-amp that I use does sound very good with my MIA Jazz and Stingray 5 fretless. Perhaps they (Ampeg) deliberately "voiced" the pre to sound good with popular home-grown instruments.

I suppose if you're in the amp manufacturing business, it does pay to make your designs broadly compatible with popular designs/models. Then more people might buy them!

Ah my favourite topic!

Check out these fantastic bass/amp combinations some time:

Jazz + SWR SM400 + Goliath 4x10 - v crisp and deep
Stingray + Boogie 400+ + 4x12 - loads of chest thump
P-bass + Ampeg + 8x10 - round and brown
Smith BSR5 + GK 1x15" combo + 2x10 cab :) - very even, growly and full (sounded good thru Rich's Eden WT400 but not so good through my WT800)
Status Series 2000/Stealth + Hartke 3500 + Hartke 4x10 (or same as a Trace rig)- loadsa growwwwl

Any other fave combinations out there?

Which reminds me;

A Venue once had a rig laid on.

It was the familiar [b]Hartke[/b] pairing of the [b]HA3500 head[/b] and [b]XL 4.5 Cabinet[/b].
I was using my [b]Warwick Infinity SN4 [/b](strung with Elixirs)

Clean, snappy, refined, (From the Hartke) and loads of Growl from the Warwick with a really solid fundamental from that heavy slab of Zebrano...
For once complimented by, not sabotaged by the MEC pick-ups and Electrics!

GB basses and EBS amps go together like bread and butter.

I think this is an important subject that maybe does not get the attention it deserves and I often wonder if the guys that have not got on with GB basses have used EBS amps. Bernie used to have on his website that his basses sounded sh*t with one particular brand of amp so its important to know what does not work as well.

There is also a synergy between amps and cabs that can make odd combinations sound really good or bad.