Why become a member? ×

Truss Rod Frightmare!! HEEELP

SIXARMSOFCHAOS

[quote name='SIXARMSOFCHAOS' post='71115' date='Oct 8 2007, 04:37 PM']Hi there Bassists.

Yesterday I was playing and suddenly I saw that one of my trussrods had slipped out!?
WTF! I've never seen this happen. My action is still ok and I haven't picked up any warping on the neck. Should I just screw it back in?[/quote]

Erm, one of your trussrods "slipped out"? What do you mean? No offence meant by this question but are you sure you mean the trussrod? Where is the damage? Got any pics?

Thanx for the replies, I took pictures but I don't know how to load them yet, sorry!

It is a Trb 1006. The trussrod on the high b side is sticking out at least 5mm. the low b side's rod is flush with the heel of the neck. It is the rod itself as far as i know cause the allen key fits into it. that is the rod itself that then srews into a 'nut' at the headstock side of the neck. Right or wrong?

Edited by SIXARMSOFCHAOS

Looks to me as if it's just the threaded nut that screws onto the trussrod end. If you can carefully tighten it up back onto the threads it should be ok. If you're not sure what you are doing, take it into a luthier.

What bass is it on?

Hamster

Can you work your way around a tool box?

If not dont do this yourself..... If you can......
Slacken the strings right off, undo the 4 bolts that hold the neck on, and remove the neck. Carefully (making sure you get the thread correct) relocate the nut on the truss rod and then gently tighten until there is a very light resistance. NO MORE than that.

I strongly suggest against trying to re locate the truss rod nut whilst the neck is till on the body. (if teh t-rod nut was at the head end this would be a different matter!

Re assemble neck and check action.

Then be more careful with it in future.... :)

I understand your predicament!..... if it were mine I would be flapping too!!

My advice would be... take as much advice as possible, buy some new strings or a lead or a new strap from your local music store. Ask some questions.
The bass guy at my local store is excellent and is very helpfull and really knows his stuff. good luck.

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' post='71299' date='Oct 8 2007, 09:54 PM']I understand your predicament!..... if it were mine I would be flapping too!!

My advice would be... take as much advice as possible, buy some new strings or a lead or a new strap from your local music store. Ask some questions.
The bass guy at my local store is excellent and is very helpfull and really knows his stuff. good luck.[/quote]

With apologies Cygnus, I disagree. The average bloke in the average local music store is NOT the guy to ask about such things. If I relayed some of the crap my local 'bass guy' talks, you'd be laughing until Xmas. Either do it yourself very carefully or take it to a professional tech. DO NOT LET YOUR LOCAL MUSIC SHOP 'TAKE A QUICK LOOK'
Chris

+1 to the big C on this.....

I've yet to find anyone at a shop that knows their way around a bass as I do. They may be able to play better or sell better, but as to taking them to bits......

As luthiers most guitar shop employees would make good brick layers!

No I am not saying that is the case with ALL shop employees, as that would be a stupid crass comment. However, would I trust any of my guitars in the hands of ALL the shop employees I have met to date......

NO!

As I have said above and Chris has hinted at, find someone you know that does work on thier own equipment that you trust, or do it yourself, so that you know what has been done......

What I said was; take as much advice as poss. before making a decision, THE bass guy in my local store is VERY knoledgable about most things bass, I didn't say they all were. I would like to think that if a bass selling person didn't know how to fix the problem he may know of somebody who does, which comes back to, take plenty of advice.

Hehehe. . . I wouldn't ask the guys here for water if I was on fire :huh:

They phone me for advice :)

I didn't do anything to it, I just noticed it sticking out the other day!!!! Weird!

I loosened the strings completely, then loosened the rod. I tried to push it in a bit but it went in almost the same amount it was sticking out :huh: I don't want to take my neck off right now so I'm gonna wait a bit and see what happens.
If all else fails I'm gonna have to buy another bass in the meanwhile then take the TRB up to a luthier in Jozi. . .sigh. . .
They can take off my fretboard and fix my trussrod hopefully
Sucks though!

[quote name='The Burpster' post='71760' date='Oct 9 2007, 07:24 PM']Sounds like its broken or become dislocated (unlikely!)[/quote]

It's OK, looking at the pic' it has a spare one any way :)

In all seriousness, removing the neck is not that huge an issue and then you can see if the rod/bolt comes out and inspect if there is indeed a breakage. Take a pic of what comes out and you may get some more detailed help, saving you a big trip and bill.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='71809' date='Oct 9 2007, 08:32 PM']^^^ thanks for the corroboration, thats why I suggested it..... :)

Why do peeps get so hung up about taking the neck off?[/quote]

The main reason (other than fear of breaking something) that I've come across is that many people don't have the right tools for the job. It may sound daft but a decent screwdriver isn't something that everyone possesses. Actually no disrespect to this or any other BCer but if you don't have the correct size/shape driver for the job, leave it alone! I hate getting basses that have chewed up screws and allen heads that need not have suffered if people had just used the right tool in the first place.

We all have to start somewhere and buying a quality driver for a job like this could be one of the better investments that you make :huh:

I always thought a velcro neck pocket would be the way of the future :)
Oh well i'll prob take it off the weekend.

You see. . .I have taken my seven string apart for customizing. Other guitars over the years have been diss-assembled as well, but it feels like i'm about to do work on a Rolls-Royce, in my back yard :huh: Haha