Why become a member? ×

Choosing a new Band name

Bidd

After a new lineup (different drummer (who is absolfrickinlutely amazing), one guitarist instead of two, and no keys/sax) my band (The Gravel Shifters) have decided to change band name, as our musical style has changed from Chicago/Texas style gritty blues to a more audience appealing "Funky-Blues-Rock-Latino" quartet.

Problem is we can't think of a name, and I've wondered if any of you have been in the same situation

By the way we're going to play songs like:
David Bowie - Let's Dance
Jamiroquai - Deeper Underground (I have a cool effect through my Boss GT-6B)
Santana - Black Magic Woman (Funkier with a Latino style jam ending)
James Brown - Play That Funky Music
Gary Moore - Oh Pretty Woman (Funkier version)

[quote name='Bidd' post='71499' date='Oct 9 2007, 12:17 PM']After a new lineup (different drummer (who is absolfrickinlutely amazing), one guitarist instead of two, and no keys/sax) my band (The Gravel Shifters) have decided to change band name, as our musical style has changed from Chicago/Texas style gritty blues to a more audience appealing "Funky-Blues-Rock-Latino" quartet.

Problem is we can't think of a name, and I've wondered if any of you have been in the same situation

By the way we're going to play songs like:
David Bowie - Let's Dance
Jamiroquai - Deeper Underground (I have a cool effect through my Boss GT-6B)
Santana - Black Magic Woman (Funkier with a Latino style jam ending)
James Brown - Play That Funky Music
Gary Moore - Oh Pretty Woman (Funkier version)[/quote]

We've got a perfectly good name but other members of the band don't like it so we're all coming up with ideas, putting our favourites on a list and having a vote.
At the end of the day once a name is used often enough even a really bad one sounds ok. look at Oasis. Dreadful name conjuring up all sorts of naff and cheezy conotations but no one notices now.

Band names... been there :)

Probably a safe bet that whatever you come up with somebody will disagree...

Best advice I can give is imagine the senario... "Hi, so you play in band, which one?"

You need to have something you'd be happy to tell people your part of, that you can easily remember and is short and punchy...

You could be 'What the Funk' *gets coat...

My first stop when looking for the last one was the Dictionary.com's word of the day archives: [url="http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/archive/"]http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/archive/[/url] managed to find some interesting stuff but the rest of the guys ended up vetoing everything I liked and we ended up with our current namepox in the form of: UXL :)

[quote name='Bidd' post='71499' date='Oct 9 2007, 12:17 PM']our musical style has changed from Chicago/Texas style gritty blues to a more audience appealing "Funky-Blues-Rock-Latino" quartet.[/quote]

Now that's your problem! That really limits the band names list to things like "The Sell-Outs" or "The Traitors" :)

Hamster

[quote name='jwbassman' date='Oct 9 2007, 12:37 PM' post='71508']
Band names... been there :huh:

Probably a safe bet that whatever you come up with somebody will disagree...

Best advice I can give is imagine the senario... "Hi, so you play in band, which one?"

You need to have something you'd be happy to tell people your part of, that you can easily remember and is short and punchy...

You could be 'What the Funk' *gets coat...

MB1. :)
I do believe my mates Solicitor will be in touch!, what the f***! would be safer!!!

A band name shouldn't be too defining - it's like being called Dennis and finding yourself working as a lion tamer: it might seem a little out of character in the future.

So, my advice is to get together with your bandmates and get utterly ruined (using the intoxicant of your choice). Get the banter going, and something will come along. It's worked for me on a couple of occasions.

[quote name='Viajero' date='Oct 9 2007, 04:35 PM' post='71664']
A band name shouldn't be too defining - it's like being called Dennis and finding yourself working as a lion tamer: it might seem a little out of character in the future.

So, my advice is to get together with your bandmates and get utterly ruined (using the intoxicant of your choice). Get the banter going, and something will come along. It's worked for me on a couple of occasions.

MB1. :)

Dennis and the lion tamers!... it is then!.....Top One!
More Tea Vicar?.........

Edited by MB1

[quote name='Viajero' date='Oct 9 2007, 05:17 PM' post='71696']
See, never intended that, but it's a good'un.

The Never-Fail Viajero Technique: Meet Up, Drink Up, Think Up. Repeat as necessary.

MB1. :huh:
Could be a bit long? :) and not very catchy!