Why become a member? ×

Choosing a new Band name

Bidd

Got to start with 'THE' , The goat spankers etc, all the best bands are called The something., hence The The, obviously only bettered by THE THE THE. Hope this helps

[quote name='steve-norris' date='Oct 9 2007, 09:03 PM' post='71837']
Got to start with 'THE' , The goat spankers etc, all the best bands are called The something., hence The The, obviously only bettered by THE THE THE. Hope this helps

MB1. :)

The Led Zeppelin......Huston we have a problem!

Simon Armitage summed it up nicely in the extract from his book on forming a band in his 40's published in the Guardian magazine recently

Read the whole article [url="http://books.guardian.co.uk/poetry/features/0,,2179554,00.html"]here[/url] but here's the bit I'd go on endlessly about

Google it before you think you've found the answer ...

" Every time we do find what we think is a decent name, it turns out that it already belongs to a neo-punk band from Ohio who, even if they haven't released any records as yet, have a sw***y website, have patented the brand and registered their trademark, and own the domain name. "

Check myspace too ...

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='71652' date='Oct 9 2007, 04:20 PM']you could always go down this route, gets some ideas going

[url="http://www.bandnamemaker.com/"]http://www.bandnamemaker.com/[/url][/quote]

I'd forgotten how much I like that website - hours of fun for the easily amused. Just one click and...
[list]
[*]Decrepit Cleaner Of The Diabolical Duck
[*]Fix Of The Flour
[*]Killing Perpetual
[*]Silver Hail And The Standard Leaf
[*]Anarchy Ballad
[*]Grinding Day
[*]Density Element
[*]Enterprise Experiment
[*]Urban Hour Of The Golden Youth
[*]Selfish Score
[/list]
Alternatively you could just go with a colour and then a forename. No, that's just stupid...

[quote name='MB1' post='71624' date='Oct 9 2007, 03:52 PM']MB1. :)
I do believe my mates Solicitor will be in touch!, what the f***! would be safer!!![/quote]

...the other thing to remember is that the name may already be taken - so do your research :huh:

Sorry MB1 - call off the solicitors...

Edited by jwbassman

A good way I have used is, each member of the band brings a book to rehearsal, player 1 chooses a page number, player 2 paragraph, P3 line & P4 number of word along line. It can be done a few times till you come up with something you like.

I was in a band called "Dr White & the heavy Bleeders" in the late 70's, don't think you would get away with it now. Still makes me smile though. :)

Taz very glad BIGd

It's got to be the most irritating thing to do with a band...choosing a name, nothing sounds good, it's been taken and slowly but surely it all gets quite ridiculous, we do anyway :huh:

We recently changed our name, took us ages to settle on something and still it sounds stupid, although when we googled it and checked myspace nobody had taken anything along the same lines. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing :)

[quote name='bigd1' post='71990' date='Oct 10 2007, 08:31 AM']I was in a band called "Dr White & the heavy Bleeders"[/quote]

That's a very cool name!!

I'm playing drums in a band, just for fun, and we're called the Premature Ejaculators. We thought we'd be the only ones, but there are another 2 bands out there with the same name! Grrr.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='71726' date='Oct 9 2007, 06:07 PM']Many years ago, the Jonathan Ross show had a big funk band on called...

"Steve Naiive & those rocking sailors on the psychadellic sea of groove!"[/quote]

yeah, but I wouldn't really take a name from a band on Jonathan Ross. after all, his current band on the show are called "four poofters and a piano".

[quote name='charic' post='72215' date='Oct 10 2007, 03:34 PM']The inebriated goldfish?
The skydiving penguins?
Never a dull day (shortens to the nadds haha)
Hmmm, Band the?[/quote]

The skydiving penguins. Sounds good to me.

Another way to think up a name I heard about was to listen to your favourite band (or one playing similar music to your own) and either take the name of a song or a phrase from a song.

[quote name='jwbassman' post='72649' date='Oct 11 2007, 09:12 AM']Dr Feelgood and the Army of Funk[/quote]

Errrr
Not sure what Dr Feelgood would feel about that :) Probably feelbad, then sue ...
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Feelgood_%28band%29"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Feelgood_%28band%29[/url]
:huh:

[quote]Couldn't Give a Funk[/quote]

I might suggest that at next practise and see what they think

[quote]The Sound Investment[/quote]

I like that because I do Economics at Uni, so it mergers music with my degree. I'm very sad however

[quote name='Road Dog' date='Oct 11 2007, 11:25 AM' post='72700']
Just a few that bands I've been in have rejected..

The Sound Investment
Couldn't Give a Funk
The Pot-Belly Wrestlers
Yaputya Lefleggin (as in the hokey cokey !!)
Tuft

Fell free to plunder at will

MB1. :)
World famous leper band.....Yaputya leftlegin..... you cant use that name!