Why become a member? ×

Choosing a new Band name

Bidd

Students at uni eh?

"The Empty Pockets"

"Hannibal and the Lecterers"

"The Batchelors" (might have to check the availability of that one :))

"The Three Degrees" -----ditto-----

or if you use recreational substances....

"Albanian Cheese Wizards on Dope"

Hamster

[quote name='Bidd' post='71499' date='Oct 9 2007, 12:17 PM']After a new lineup (different drummer (who is absolfrickinlutely amazing), one guitarist instead of two, and no keys/sax) my band (The Gravel Shifters) have decided to change band name, as our musical style has changed from Chicago/Texas style gritty blues to a more audience appealing "Funky-Blues-Rock-Latino" quartet.

Problem is we can't think of a name, and I've wondered if any of you have been in the same situation

By the way we're going to play songs like:
David Bowie - Let's Dance
Jamiroquai - Deeper Underground (I have a cool effect through my Boss GT-6B)
Santana - Black Magic Woman (Funkier with a Latino style jam ending)
James Brown - Play That Funky Music
Gary Moore - Oh Pretty Woman (Funkier version)[/quote]
Maybe we all worry about band names too much? After all, the biggest band ever "The Beatles", had one of the worst names ever IMHO.

Mind you, having said that, I was in a band once and we were really struggling to find a name and it was stopping us moving forward.. So, to try and take the emotion out of the situation, someone we knew suggested we use a scientific approach to finding a name in order to stop us continually arguing and disagreeing over the issue. IIRC, it was something like this:

1) We each came up with a list of 10 names we liked. With 5 band members, we had 50 names in the pot.
2) Over a pint or three and by voting for the ones we liked, we whittled the list of 50 names down to just 5 names.
3) We went away and each asked 10 friends to vote for their favourite names from the list of 5, scoring their favourite name with a '5' and their least favourite name with a '1'.
4) We then added up the scores and the name with the highest score was the name the band chose.

The name we came up with was 'Kickback' if I remember and though it wasn't brilliant, we all liked it enough and for the time i.e. late 1980s, it was pretty good.

The best thing about it though was the fact that we didn't actually choose the name, our mates did it for us. And as it them who came to all our gigs, it was a very democratic process..

Band was pretty rubbish though!! :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='73709' date='Oct 13 2007, 11:02 AM']Maybe we all worry about band names too much? After all, the biggest band ever "The Beatles", had one of the worst names ever IMHO.

Mind you, having said that, I was in a band once and we were really struggling to find a name and it was stopping us moving forward.. So, to try and take the emotion out of the situation, someone we knew suggested we use a scientific approach to finding a name in order to stop us continually arguing and disagreeing over the issue. IIRC, it was something like this:

1) We each came up with a list of 10 names we liked. With 5 band members, we had 50 names in the pot.
2) Over a pint or three and by voting for the ones we liked, we whittled the list of 50 names down to just 5 names.
3) We went away and each asked 10 friends to vote for their favourite names from the list of 5, scoring their favourite name with a '5' and their least favourite name with a '1'.
4) We then added up the scores and the name with the highest score was the name the band chose.

The name we came up with was 'Kickback' if I remember and though it wasn't brilliant, we all liked it enough and for the time i.e. late 1980s, it was pretty good.

The best thing about it though was the fact that we didn't actually choose the name, our mates did it for us. And as it them who came to all our gigs, it was a very democratic process..

Band was pretty rubbish though!! :huh:[/quote]

Excellent process ..
It was so easy when it didn't matter if you had the same name as a band in San Francisco, or Scunthorpe ..

These days though you'd have to pre-empt the process with "each band manber comes up with 10 names that are not already in use by a band or a myspace or so common that no one would ever find us using google, that says what we do and that fits easily on a poster" ..
Might be tougher :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='73753' date='Oct 13 2007, 01:21 PM']Excellent process ..
It was so easy when it didn't matter if you had the same name as a band in San Francisco, or Scunthorpe ..

These days though you'd have to pre-empt the process with "each band manber comes up with 10 names that are not already in use by a band or a myspace or so common that no one would ever find us using google, that says what we do and that fits easily on a poster" ..
Might be tougher :)[/quote]
+1 to that..

You're 100% spot on because, these days the internet is where so many bands start to promote themselves and of course, that is a global marketplace.

At the risk of sounding like a Monty Python sketch, [i]"it was much tougher in our day"[/i] because there weren't the same ways to promote yourselves as a new band. But equally, the competition is much more intense now as each new band is fighting for attention in amongst hundreds of thousands of bands as opposed to just the UK ones.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Viajero' post='71664' date='Oct 9 2007, 03:35 PM']A band name shouldn't be too defining - it's like being called Dennis and finding yourself working as a lion tamer: it might seem a little out of character in the future.

So, my advice is to get together with your bandmates and get utterly ruined (using the intoxicant of your choice). Get the banter going, and something will come along. It's worked for me on a couple of occasions.[/quote]

Unfortunately for me this resulted in the band name "Cunning Lingus".

no. Just no. :)

Edited by ashevans09

[quote name='cheddatom' date='Oct 10 2007, 10:51 AM' post='72084']
That's a very cool name!!

I'm playing drums in a band, just for fun, and we're called the Premature Ejaculators. We thought we'd be the only ones, but there are another 2 bands out there with the same name! Grrr.

MB1. :)
More than one band with the name Premature Ejeculators?...... well you know what they say?........."First come,First Served".

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='72138' date='Oct 10 2007, 12:26 PM']Me and my mate got to the stage of driving down the road shouting out anything we saw-'The broken down vans!' 'The National Speed Limits Applies!' 'The Dead Rabbits!' 'Toads crossing!' etc. Didn't come up with anything but it was an approach I suppose.[/quote]

MB1. :)

Traffic warden Roadkill?

[quote name='bassninja' post='83643' date='Nov 4 2007, 07:17 PM']MB1. :)
More than one band with the name Premature Ejeculators?...... well you know what they say?........."First come,First Served".

I 'spose whoever came first would get to keep the name...[/quote]

MB1. :huh:

might be quicker than a lengthy trial in the courts! :huh:

[quote name='charic' post='73661' date='Oct 13 2007, 06:52 AM']Free beer :huh:

Think of the amount of people thatll bring in from the sign on the door!

"Free Beer
Here Tonight!![/quote]

MB1. :huh:

Think of the amount of people who wont be impressed, when they find out there isnt? :)

Many years ago, I was in a university band which was searching for a name. Somewhere or other, one of us had found a promotional single for a range of vacuum cleaners called Cymex, which started with atmospheric music and "five - four - three - two - one - the Cymex are coming". So we adopted that as our name and used the single to play us in on the two gigs we finished up doing before I dropped out.

One minor point - the only one who'd actually paid proper attention to how Cymex was spelt was me (I think the others were doing sociology so reading was an optional skill), so we had posters which spelt it variously as Cymex and Simex.

Inebriation works (or just being rubbish at speaking, like me) - Horslips, frexample, was named thus as the band memebers were debating the name in a state of drunkenness, which resulting in the suggestion "Four horsemen of the apocalypse" being mispronouned "four poxmen of the horslips". And in the case of one of my bands, the intended suggestion of "The Simpsons" finished up coming out as "The Symptoms", which was what we became.

If anyone's interested, we got drunk a week or so ago and made this demo using reason instead of my drumming skills, and beer instead of talent, and cotton wool instead of monitors, just to aid the mix a bit. [url="http://www.myspace.com/theprematureejaculatorscomingsoon"]www.myspace.com/theprematureejaculatorscomingsoon[/url]

[quote name='OldGit' post='84015' date='Nov 5 2007, 03:26 PM']Cunning Linguists?
[url="http://www.thelinguists.co.uk/"][url="http://www.thelinguists.co.uk/"]http://www.thelinguists.co.uk/[/url][/url][/quote]

Ah balls, beaten to the punch. "Lingus" is just too close to "Linguists" eh?

Baaaaack to the drawing board...

On the other hand though they are playing their last gig soon... :ph34r:

[quote name='cheddatom' post='84021' date='Nov 5 2007, 03:35 PM']If anyone's interested, we got drunk a week or so ago and made this demo using reason instead of my drumming skills, and beer instead of talent, and cotton wool instead of monitors, just to aid the mix a bit. [url="http://www.myspace.com/theprematureejaculatorscomingsoon"]www.myspace.com/theprematureejaculatorscomingsoon[/url][/quote]
I remember my first pint too. :)

...just pulling your leg.