Why become a member? ×

SOLD. Fender Roscoe Beck V in Shoreline Gold

mybass

SOLD.
Fender Roscoe Beck five string fretted bass - Shoreline Gold finish with original case.
Looking at around £1075.
In beautiful condition. The bass is virtually unused having been bought for a particular gig that folded. It has had very little playing done on it. The set up is really good with a great action, plenty of sound options and volume, it sounds great across the whole neck. Strung with recent set of Galli strings. The low B has a good feel. It is a cracker of a bass.

The Fender specs go like this:

Alder select wood body.
Maple assymetric neck, "contoured" on the treble side for ease of high end playing.
2 humbuckers with mini toggle switches with a multitude of pickup combinations. (I believe made by Bill Lawrence).
22 medium jumbo frets. Pau Ferro fingerboard 9.5" radius
3 position pickup selector. Master volume and master tone with push/pull mid shaping.
Gotoh bridge. Hipshot Ultralite tuners.
34" scale length. 1.875/47.6mm nut width. Graphite neck rods.
6 bolt neck plate. 3 ply Mint Green pickguard

By the way, Roscoe Beck is the ace bassist in the excellent USA guitarist Robben Ford's band. I still use the excellent 4 string version.
I'm told these 5 stringers aren't available anymore. I think this Shoreline Gold is also the best colour for this bass model.
I would much prefer any buyer to pickup or meet up somewhere but postage and insurance can be arranged.

Edited by mybass

I'd love to buy this bass, but I'm far too poor at the moment (and it will be gone by the time I sell some other stuff..anybody here like SWR??) so here are some questions - I've wanted to try one of these for ages but have never seen a real live one.

What is the balance like? Most J type 5's I've played have been pretty "head heavy" - did they get this one right?

Is there a big volume difference in the pickup switching options? I've had basses with various series/par/single coil options, but the output differences usually make it "chose the best and stick to it". How do the Lawrence p/ups handle this?

Have a Bump!

BB

Hi mybass

As you say, the RBVs are discontinued, so this is quite a rare beast now.. When I had a play on it a couple of months back, I was amazed at the range of tones you can get out of it for a passive bass and it is LOUD! The pick ups put out a lot.. I can definitely vouch for the fact that it's in absolutely immaculate condition and plays beautifully.

The other thing that impressed me was the low B, which is excellent for a 34" scale neck.

And as far as I know, there isn't one of these left in stock anywhere in Europe now - only the 4 string version - so as someone else said on here recently, "it's as rare as a rare thing in raresville" :)

Good luck with the sale

Nik

[quote name='mybass' post='71552' date='Oct 9 2007, 01:45 PM']Fender Roscoe Beck five stringer with Shoreline Gold finish and original case.
Looking at around £1075
Alder select wood body.
Maple assymetric neck, means it is "contoured" on the treble side for ease of high end playing.
22 medium jumbo frets
Pau Ferro fingerboard 9.5" radius
2 humbuckers with mini toggle switches with a multitude of pickup combinations. (I believe made by Bill Lawrence).
3 position pickup selector
Master volume and master tone with push/pull mid shaping.
Gotoh bridge
Hipshot Ultralite tuners
34" scale length
1.875/47.6mm nut width
Graphite neck rods
6 bolt neck plate
3 ply Mint Green pickguard

This bass is virtually unused and probably had less playing than any instrument sitting in a shop. I would say it is therefore in as new condition.
It is very well set up with a great action and recent set of Galli strings and sounds tuneful and speaks well across the whole neck range. The low B has a good feel.
I've hesitated a while in selling this bass but as I'm not using it for work I thought was coming in, it will have to go. It is a cracker of a bass.
By the way, Roscoe Beck is the ace bassist in the excellent USA guitarist Robben Ford's band. I still use the 4 string version but this 5 stringer has refused to go out with me, prefering to sit indoors and watch the TV, so here it is!
I am not certain if the 5 stringers are available anymore, some saying they have been discontinued. I happen to think that this Shoreline Gold is also the best colour for this bass model.
I would much prefer any buyer to pickup or meet up somewhere but postage and insurance can be arranged.
I hope he doesn't mind me saying but "Silverfoxnik" has seen this bass and could vouch for its condition.
One Basschat member has seen this bass a while back so the above description is as true as can be.[/quote]