Why become a member? ×

bass compliation CD...what tracks to include?

Bass_In_Yer_Face

for starters...

NV43345 by Billy Sheehan (Talas era)

Something off Stu Hamm's first album - maybe 'flow my tears' (but NOT that country thing!!)

something by Victor Wooten (and maybe something by Jaco although I have to confess to not being his greatest fan!)

and to show something completely different and how a simple essentially one note bass line can make a song I would also add '20th Century' by Brad from the album Shame. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9GL7PE03pg"]Video Here[/url] [color="#708090"](in fact - just listening to it now for the first time in ages....what a damn fine song it really is!!)[/color]

I'm sure I'll think of more!

peace

c

Edited by 3V17C

Brad - I remember them - wasn't that with one of the dudes from Pearl Jam? 20th century was there only good track though :)

For my tupence worth it would have to include Iconic bass tracks:

School Days - Stanley Clarke
Hair - Larry Graham
Teen Town - Wether Report
Definatley a Chili's track off of BSSM

Do you want a CD where the bass works really well, or where the bass is very much the focus?

I'd suggest some disco for music that thrives on bass but isn't necessarily note-packed. Good Times by Chic? Why not something simple and melodic like What's Goin On? Are you trying to teach someone about new artists? How about a bass-only band like DFA1979?

[quote name='3V17C' post='71614' date='Oct 9 2007, 03:40 PM']for starters...

NV43345 by Billy Sheehan (Talas era)

Something off Stu Hamm's first album - maybe 'flow my tears' (but NOT that country thing!!)

something by Victor Wooten (and maybe something by Jaco although I have to confess to not being his greatest fan!)

and to show something completely different and how a simple essentially one note bass line can make a song I would also add '20th Century' by Brad from the album Shame. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9GL7PE03pg"]Video Here[/url] [color="#708090"](in fact - just listening to it now for the first time in ages....what a damn fine song it really is!!)[/color]
I'm sure I'll think of more!

peace

c[/quote]

'20th Century' by Brad, what a great call...i've never seen anyone mention that track before....a spin off band from Stone Gossard from Pearl Jam I believe.

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='71636' date='Oct 9 2007, 04:06 PM']Do you want a CD where the bass works really well, or where the bass is very much the focus?

I'd suggest some disco for music that thrives on bass but isn't necessarily note-packed. Good Times by Chic? Why not something simple and melodic like What's Goin On? Are you trying to teach someone about new artists? How about a bass-only band like DFA1979?[/quote]

Yeah good Disco stuff is a must. As i've mentioned before....naff song, great bass line 'Boogie oogie oogie' by Taste Of Honey.

MB1. :)
The Smiths...Barbarism begins at home,The Headmaster Ritual.
A Certain Ratio...Waterline,Inside,Sounds like something dirty!,Touch,Shack up!.
John Cooper Clarke..The day my pad went mad!

Edited by MB1

[quote name='3V17C' post='71614' date='Oct 9 2007, 03:40 PM']and to show something completely different and how a simple essentially one note bass line can make a song I would also add '20th Century' by Brad from the album Shame.
peace

c[/quote]

Blinding song! remember when I first saw that vid on Raw Power/Noisey Mothers! Awesome choice!

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='71560' date='Oct 9 2007, 02:06 PM']If you were putting a CD together to show off bass playing......what would you include?[/quote]

Given your Avatar, London Calling would be a good start!

Personally I would have to include Soul to Squeeze by the Chilis. Fantastic, melodic playing.

And no bass compilation would be complete without some James Jamerson on there.