Why become a member? ×

Quinissential guitar shop licks...

HarryPotter

[i]Smoke On The Water[/i]... kidding!

I don't think there's a standard, but I tend to play Rush: bits of [i]Freewill[/i], [i]Show Don't Tell[/i], or [i]Leave That Thing Alone[/i]. Next time I'll probably throw in a bit of [i]The Main Monkey Business[/i]. Ook!

PS: in a local guitar shop, they have the usual list of banned guitar pieces: Stairway To Heaven etc. - so double marks to the customer in there a few months ago: I walked in, he was playing the intro to King Crimson's [i]Fracture[/i], which is a tricky piece. Then he played the middle [i]moto perpetuo[/i] section, which is a wee bit more than tricky. If they tried using [i]Fracture[/i] in Guitar Hero, the makers would be sued for causing fingers to fall off... :)

Edited by bnt

Donna Lee, but haven't checked out a bass in ages.

Was going to try a new 5 string today in SC brum, but as soon as I walked in I was asked if I could put my guitar that was on my back and leave it by the counter if I wanted to look further in the shop. Not even a, "Can I help?" first, personally I don't know why they just couldn't watch the fact it wasn't going anywhere from my back, they were obviously just too busy doing nothing at all. So I just left the shop instead.

Assuming I'm in a guitar shoppe, I'll just follow whoever's playing guitar's lead...

On Saturday, I was waiting to collect my car and decided to roadtest a few basses at my local store.

There was a young man and his family that somewhat invaded my personal (and sonic) space whilst trying guitars, but I was playing gently- I was bass testing, not amp melting!

He bashed out a few Nirvana tunes which I played along to, then a bit of (Black era) Metallica. I just shadowed what he was doing, playing the appropriate lines [i]sotto voce[/i], as it were.
I did this mainly to avoid us clashing horribly whilst we were both trying instruments.

This was not really received in the spirit in which it was intended, and when he started on "Know Your Enemy" (appropriately) by Rage Against The Machine,
I cut loose. I know the tune quite well, so no issues there. I kept time with my foot to avoid any nasty lapses, and bought the place to a standstill. Without turning anything up or adjusting any controls.

My thoughts; play along with any guitarists you can find. They may even appreciate it...

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='bnt' post='71778' date='Oct 9 2007, 07:41 PM'][i]Smoke On The Water[/i]
PS: in a local guitar shop, they have the usual list of banned guitar pieces: Stairway To Heaven etc.[/quote]

haha - sheerers in leeds had a list like that when i was at school...it had a list of guitar ruffs...stairway to heaven, smoke on the water, foxy lady etc. and at the bottom ?

"and for bassists...the chain"

i never know what to play when i'm trying out a bass. i was trying out some overdrive pedals a few weeks back and i ended up playing some my bloody valentine and sonic youth songs.

after a minute or two i realised i had an audience of 3 young lads. they looked very confused...i'm not quite sure what they expected me to be playing :)

[quote name='ahpook' post='71813' date='Oct 9 2007, 08:34 PM']"and for bassists...the chain"[/quote]
I honestly had to look that one up. The Fleetwood Mac song? YouTube here I come...

edit: the ending? The old Formula One theme? OK. :)

Edited by bnt

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='71825' date='Oct 9 2007, 08:49 PM']I just go with the bassline to "The Thrill is Gone"

very recognisable and just pumps out lurvely throbbiness...[/quote]

Oh I just love the way the snare drops back from 2 and 4 to just beat 2 for the first verse in that in the orginal BB King version. Less is definately more ...

In the old days I'd play Hey Joe, or Reeling in The Years but these days I play the chorus riff from "When you're gone" by, er, me :) and a morris dancing tune called The Princess Royal which is great and which gets a few looks
Oh and School Days

Edited by OldGit

Boris the spider just to warm the old fingers up (the wife tut's and then pretends she's not with me). I sometimes do "If you want me to stay" or any riff that comes into my head. I did the verse bit of aeroplane by the chilis and got an audience of about 4 kids (I don't know who was more suprised).

I've worked out bass versions of Stairway To Heaven and Under The Bridge for guitar shop (and occasional bass solo) usage... usually elicits a surprised response from the staff, as they're not used to hearing them on bass! :)

Other than that, nothing too unusual... Mr. Pink, A Certain Shade Of Green, Tom Sawyer, Mountain Song or Three Days, a few tunes by bands I've played in...

[quote name='vegas_hooker' post='71811' date='Oct 9 2007, 08:33 PM']I always get props for playing 'Mountain song' by Janes Addiction.

Last time I got a suprised (and bored) shop monkey saying 'Now thats a f**king riff...Ive not heard that in ages'[/quote]

Indeed it is. Or a bit of 'Summertime Rolls' or the intro to '3 Days' or 'Ain't no right'....

I like to play stuff the staff (& shoppers) are unlikely to know.....

Usually, 'Little Dirty Blonde' by Winger, 'Whats This World Comin' To' by Chicago, 'Sweet Maxine' by The Doobie Brothers, 'Champagne Jam' by Atlanta Rhythm Section or the like.....

They are cool basslines that will make people look up, but obscure enough that they won't know whether you are butchering them or not!! :) :huh:

+1 to Mountain Song & Summertime Rolls - great riffs.

Stanley Clarke - Schooldays (just the powerchord part - sounds impressive, but it's pretty simple really)
Jam - Down in the Tube Station
Iron Maiden - Rime of the Ancient Mariner (the middle bit)
Velvet Revolver - Slither
Fields of the Nephilim - Celebrate
And finally - my solo bass arrangement of Albatross usually gets somebodys attention :)

Andy