Why become a member? ×

Stagg!!!!

mikeh

Thinking of replacing my Ubass for an EUB and been looking at the Stagg. Noticed there is a Deluxe version now available for around a hundred quid more than the 'standard' one. Anyone know what the difference is between the two? The Deluxe has a rosewood fingerboard rather than painted maple but hard to tell what else you get for your £100. Wondering whether some of the well known mods are factory sorted on this version.

How have I missed this thread!!

Couple of points:

The strap button at the back of the upper body is to use with a 'sax' style neck strap so you can 'hange' it in between playing. Never known anyone actually using it that way!

If you want a posh string damper:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/160704-accessorise-your-eub-with-this-seasons-must-have-string-damper/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/160704-accessorise-your-eub-with-this-seasons-must-have-string-damper/[/url]

:D

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1376589168' post='2176585']
If you want a posh string damper:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/160704-accessorise-your-eub-with-this-seasons-must-have-string-damper/"]http://basschat.co.u...-string-damper/[/url]

[/quote]

...so there are advantages after all to being the only bloke in a house with 3 women* . Mint idea :D

* Wife + 2 daughters !

Just been playing around with comparing and trying to get the Stagg fingerboard into the same plane and angle as my DB when sat down. Because there is a good 300mm of body with the DB and only 75mm in the Stagg there are some adjustments to make. The outriggers that are supplied are fine for if you are standing but not much use when seated ....I sense another modification coming on !

Edited by ubassman

The Stagg lies flat across the lap which makes the angles really very very different and means that you have to lift the instrument vertically into place and use the left hand to support the instrument whilst playing i.e. its not freestanding when you are seated.

Edited by ubassman

So heres the solution for anyone who is also trying to mimic a DB bass and sits down ! The angle is a bit distorted and may look strange in the photo but the 'rig' holds the Stagg in exactly the place where it needs to be ( everyone will be different).

Edited by ubassman

If this is something that you want to try then what you will need is to go to your local Decathalon ( or search on line) and visit the swimming section. Its an aqua aerobics float with a connector. Total price £5.00 plus a bit of dowel which works to get the exact distance and tweak the set of the rig. I have put some black marks so that the whole thing can be dismantled and reassembled and the Stagg sits robustly and stationary . Most importantly it feels 'invisible' and mimics where I hold my DB .

I took some time to take some measurements with the set and angle of my DB ( where the points of contact are ..for me the left knee carries most weight, how far the fingerboard was from my shoulder socket, where the ebony nut comes above my left ear, I lined up an imaginary point where A string would project to if it carried on extending to the floor - all helps to get the angle of the Stagg fingerboard and make adjustments to the end pin height to get the instrument in the right position. Works perfectly for me although I imagine that I am a minority of bass players who sit ! Heres what you need - no cutting needed !!

OK, stupid question I know, but important to understand before I take a leap into Stagg World! Looking at pics, clearly the gig bag is much shorter than the bass. Does this mean that you have to separate the finger board from the body to use the gig bag and then reassemble and re-string at the gig? If so, sounds like a right faff. Anyone illuminate me?

[quote name='Hathernman' timestamp='1377187862' post='2184564']
OK, stupid question I know, but important to understand before I take a leap into Stagg World! Looking at pics, clearly the gig bag is much shorter than the bass. Does this mean that you have to separate the finger board from the body to use the gig bag and then reassemble and re-string at the gig? If so, sounds like a right faff. Anyone illuminate me?
[/quote]

No, it fits perfectly. You might want to make a disc of some kind to stop the end pin from damaging the end of the bag though.

BobM.