Why become a member? ×

Stagg!!!!

mikeh

[i][i]RRP:[/i][/i] [i][i]£537.90[/i][/i] [i][i]Price:[/i][/i] [i][i]£216.22 & [b]FREE Delivery[/b] in the UK. [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=mk_sss_dp_1?ie=UTF8&pop-up=1&nodeId=200039400"]Details[/url] [/i][/i] [i][i]You Save:[/i][/i] [i][i]£321.68 (60%)[/i][/i]

[i][i]Only 1 left in stock (more on the way). [/i][/i]

[i][i][url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stagg-EDB-3-4RDL-Deluxe-Electric/dp/B0086V7DNW/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1420398889&sr=1-2-fkmr1&keywords=Stagg+EDB-3%2F4RDL+VBR+3%2F4+Size+Deluxe+Electric+Double+Bass"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stagg-EDB-3-4RDL-Deluxe-Electric/dp/B0086V7DNW/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1420398889&sr=1-2-fkmr1&keywords=Stagg+EDB-3%2F4RDL+VBR+3%2F4+Size+Deluxe+Electric+Double+Bass[/url][/i][/i]

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1412691266' post='2571068']
Has anybody got a direct contact for Stagg please? My emails to my local Stagg dealer regarding the dead piezo are falling on deaf ears. Also, does anybody know of an alternative to the standard Stagg piezo wires?
[/quote]

I bought a replacement Stagg Piezo for an EUB I made having damaged the ones that they kindly gave me when I replaced a 'thirsty' active circuit on my own Stagg. I went into a local dealer of Stagg things and just got them to order it. The stock Basses had 2, I only needed one so it was around £15 plus VAT 4 years ago.

When I looked at the time, I could not find a contact on the Stagg website so just went through a shop I knew dealt with Stag but was not an EUB seller.

Edited by yorks5stringer

Well the bass arrived yesterday and what a piece of kit it is, especially for £218.
I had a plonk on it, (I have never tried one before), and realised my technique is all wrong. I am trying to play it like a bass guitar.
I have lowered the bridge and sorted the endpin rattle and have been looking at a few youtube lessons for tips.
My left arm is now aching from holding it up. Since retiring a few years ago I have lost my arm strength through doing F' all so will have to eat more Shredded Wheat.
Anyway I am quite pleased with my purchase and with a couple of hours a day practice I hope to get better at it.
It is not suitable for anything I play in my band but I do a jam night and am looking to be using it in that.

Oh yes, where can I find the tab for Moondance.... :unsure:

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1420562740' post='2650677']...
[/quote]

Assuming you don't mean the 'NightWish' tune..?

http://youtu.be/fpu4f5q7wck

Here's the 'normal' one...

[attachment=180232:Morr_Van_Moon_Danc.pdf]

Download and save as a pdf file...

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1420562740' post='2650677']
Well the bass arrived yesterday and what a piece of kit it is, especially for £218.
I had a plonk on it, (I have never tried one before), and realised my technique is all wrong. I am trying to play it like a bass guitar.
I have lowered the bridge and sorted the endpin rattle and have been looking at a few youtube lessons for tips.
My left arm is now aching from holding it up. Since retiring a few years ago I have lost my arm strength through doing F' all so will have to eat more Shredded Wheat.
Anyway I am quite pleased with my purchase and with a couple of hours a day practice I hope to get better at it.
It is not suitable for anything I play in my band but I do a jam night and am looking to be using it in that.

[/quote]

Geoff's discover double bass is your first port of call IMO to get you started, the arms will start to ache less after a few weeks but even after a couple of years now I struggle for more than 30 mins maybe. I was doing the guitar thing too and it can be done, there are no rules but the so call correct DB technique will be much easier long term. The odd lesson here and there is well worth it IMO if you can find someone, I come on loads after each lesson then when I start to get stale and feel in a rut I book another, in fact I am going to send a message to see if I can get one in the next few weeks while I think about it!

Good luck and enjoy :)

I've taken the plunge and finally bought one to mess around with at home[size=4] - arriving this week and from this very forum. Its black with four strings, and as [/size]that's[size=4] [/size][size=4]about all I know about EUB's I anticipate the next few weeks and months are going to be interesting as well as challenging [/size] :lol:[size=4] I'm hoping this forum and YouTube will be a big help, wish me luck [/size] :D
[size=4] [/size]
[size=4] ;)[/size]

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1421165291' post='2657900']
Good luck :D
[/quote]

Haha I'm gona need it!! What have I let myself in for?! I'm impressed with the bass for the money, and this one is in mint condition for a used model, but it's much more difficult than I ever imagined :rolleyes: Right hand is not too bad as I have swotted up online for advice, but that neck depth and left hand finger spread required has totally surprised me - not quite 'just a big fretless' as a non bassplayer once described EUB! :o :o

[size=4]A lot of practise coming up :P[/size][size=4] [/size]
[size=4] [/size]
[size=4] [/size][size=4] :D[/size]

Haha it is good fun though! I have said it before but the Stagg neck is good IMO for anyone wanting a DB later/as well, it is a bit smaller than my DB neck but it gets you in the ball park and if you can get the finger spacing on the stagg you will be able to play a DB other than most DBs have no fret (stop) markers at all!

If anything I play elec bass with a 3 fingers DB technique now rather than the other way around, its easier to fudge over the frets on elec bass than try and play finger per fret on the DB.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='BassTool' timestamp='1421424398' post='2661074']
Haha I'm gona need it!! What have I let myself in for?! I'm impressed with the bass for the money, and this one is in mint condition for a used model, but it's much more difficult than I ever imagined :rolleyes: Right hand is not too bad as I have swotted up online for advice, but that neck depth and left hand finger spread required has totally surprised me - not quite 'just a big fretless' as a non bassplayer once described EUB! :o :o

[size=4]A lot of practise coming up :P[/size]

[size=4] :D[/size]
[/quote]

The left hand really isn't solved by stretching. You'll be supporting your little finger with your third finger, rather than using either independently. The choice then is either to make lots of arm movements up and down the board (Simandl) or pivot on your thumb (Rabbath) to cover an extra note. Either way, it's not one finger per fret, although the Rabbath method let's you cover notes as if it is.

As a relative beginner, i'd say that getting the left hand technique sorted at the very beginning is the key to future happiness. :)

Hello from Ontario Canada!I got a Stagg EDB34 just over a month ago and I'm having way too much fun with it.See my post in introductions and can someone tell me(not very good on my Macbook yet)how to post to this page.I have questions in my introduction page but I'd like to be part of the Stagg page.

Thanks
Bob....still Staggering on....

...oops,dumb question,I just posted to this page.Anyway,I am on the introduction page.Have patience,I'm an old guy.

Edited by Staggering on

Hi again from Canada
Anybody have a suggestion for the height of the strings above the end of the fingerboard?My EDB34 was set up very high when I got it from the previous owner.I know there are some measurements in other posts on this site but I wonder if there was a factory set height.I play in a jazz quartet and would like to know what set up other people use in a setting like this.
Thanks

Bob

If you go too low it will play easier but a lot less DB like and lose some of the thump, make sure the nut slots are cut deep enough but not too deep. Mine is about 9mm on the E reducing evenly to the G at about 6mm I think. Of course different strings will have different tensions too so there is no definitive answer really :)

E 9 down to G 6 is about what I use on my Stagg (and on my acoustic bass too for that matter). That works fine for both arco (which I play most) and pizz.
Most Staggs are setup pretty high to prevent buzzing (as the painted fingerboards are not the smoothest in the world and both the painted and the rosewood FBs have too little or no scoop at all)

Cheers,
Erik

Edited by Erik

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1420416165' post='2649251']
I bought a replacement Stagg Piezo for an EUB I made having damaged the ones that they kindly gave me when I replaced a 'thirsty' active circuit on my own Stagg. I went into a local dealer of Stagg things and just got them to order it. The stock Basses had 2, I only needed one so it was around £15 plus VAT 4 years ago.

When I looked at the time, I could not find a contact on the Stagg website so just went through a shop I knew dealt with Stag but was not an EUB seller.
[/quote]

So having given up on the local dealer ever getting around to obtaining a replacement Piezo, I ordered two new Artec ones from CH Guitars (on the web, but local to me). They turned up last week and today I got time to fit them. They are a much better quality item than the original Stagg fitted ones as you can see from the picture below (Stagg on left, Artec on the right).

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JPJ/media/IMG_1301_zpsaubwpvzq.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/JPJ/IMG_1301_zpsaubwpvzq.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

They are also a lot more powerful than the stock Stagg Piezo's but they sound much better too, more thump and less 'ping'. Whilst i had the control cavities open, I also carried out the shielding mods recommended by most Stagg owners. To be honest, this hasn't had much effect but mine wasn't particularly noisy to start off with.

Now I just need to get a better setup that I'm happy with and it'll be back to Geoff's lessons for 2015 B)

[quote name='Erik' timestamp='1421941148' post='2666890']
Are the new piezo cables a direct replacement? I mean, do they have little jack plugs that fit the Stagg electronics? Or does the soldering iron need to come out the closet?
[/quote]

No soldering required, they come fitted with the same size mini-jack plugs

Thanks. I am on my phone right now and just could not tell for sure.

I have some problems with my A string sounding very much out of balance compared to the other strings. Only when bowed, pizz gives no problems at all. This might be related to either the new bridge I cut or one of the piezos. So it good to know that there are good and affordable alternatives.

I was suffering from a very weak E string and after a bit of investigation, I found the bass side piezo was dead. These Artec one's cost only £12 each so I took a gamble on them and so far its paid off. As I said in the earlier post, they are much better quality than the original Stagg ones and the Piezo element is longer too, allowing me to loop them round in the bridge recess which seems to have the effect of giving a much warmer sound.