Why become a member? ×

Stagg!!!!

mikeh

[quote name='TheRinser' post='144301' date='Feb 21 2008, 12:12 PM']Just a quick update...

Lovin' it! Spent last night trying to play along with some jazz standards and some fingathing tunes (awesome instrumental hip hop band, just EUB and decks, UK based too!).

I'm actually finding 4 finger technique easier than the 124 double bass thing. Hand strength has still got a long way to go, and intonation, but it's great fun. My back aches a bit. If anyone fancies giving me a few pointers that'd be nice... Or generally any info about standing position relative to the bass. Tried to find some stuff on the net but doesn't seem like there's much about...

Cheers,

Tom[/quote]

Thats my weak spot also, the lack of strength in my left hand for fretting. I can't wait to get my vice like grip as time goes on. You mention that your back is aching. I am also finding this. I also find that my arm muscles are pounding after playing. Its a very physical instrument to play which I am loving.

What I started out was creating a CD of some good simple basslines. Things by the Police, Sting, Bjork, George Michael and other song with some mild Jazz themes. Playing along to some of these was hard because I just did not have the strength in my fretting hand to play more than 3 songs in a row. After a week I could happily play 3 and worked up to 5 songs. Its still hard work but its getting easier now as I am not having to think so much about my fretting hand.

I really think the whole physical side of playing upright bass is under estimated. I would also appreciate any guides or tips on playing.

Right, sorry to be such a fool, but I need to clear this up if anyone can help.

Can this bass be played without a lead and amp? Can you just play the bass with the battery listening with headphones?
Is there a waiting list on these? If so, how long?
How large is the box it's sent in?
Are there any user pics of a honey one yet?

Probably more questions to come.

Cheers everyone.

paul.

[quote name='Linus27' post='144444' date='Feb 21 2008, 03:34 PM']Thats my weak spot also, the lack of strength in my left hand for fretting. I can't wait to get my vice like grip as time goes on. You mention that your back is aching. I am also finding this. I also find that my arm muscles are pounding after playing. Its a very physical instrument to play which I am loving.

I really think the whole physical side of playing upright bass is under estimated. I would also appreciate any guides or tips on playing.[/quote]

Vice like grip is NOT i repeat NOT something you need.
vice like has a stiff and un yielding nature to it which can lead to over working muscles and reduced mobility. What you need is efficiency of pressure, using the physical attributes you posess and fluidity of movement, which can take a little getting used to.
If you are serious about getting any good on the instrument then have at least a few lessons on left hand technique, the positions and movement. It really is nothing like Bass Guitar (I've been playing both for over 20yrs)
You may well get some people responding to this post saying you can get by without training, this is true but who wants to just get by. You can save a whole heap of time by gettting some basic advice which will set good habits in place and immeasurably enhance your progress.

also If you are getting pounding muscles and sweating, you may well be over working without need.

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='paul, the' post='144521' date='Feb 21 2008, 05:07 PM']Right, sorry to be such a fool, but I need to clear this up if anyone can help.

Can this bass be played without a lead and amp? Can you just play the bass with the battery listening with headphones?
Is there a waiting list on these? If so, how long?
How large is the box it's sent in?
Are there any user pics of a honey one yet?

Probably more questions to come.

Cheers everyone.

paul.[/quote]

Hi Paul,

Yes, you can play this bass by simply plugging in some headphones into the headphone socket. I did not believe it at first but when I plugged in my headphones, the blue LED came to life. I was amazed and even more amazed when I turned the volume and and low and behold, full on bass coming through my headphones. It's such a superb function.

No idea on the waiting list but I think there might be as others have been waiting. I was lucky to buy one 2nd hand from Bassace who I don't think had it for very long. Its in mint condition. I am sure you will be able to buy one with a bit of shopping around. You might want to check out these two links.

[url="http://www.zingsmusic.com/product_info.php?products_id=5176"]http://www.zingsmusic.com/product_info.php?products_id=5176[/url]

[url="http://www.normans.co.uk/Items/Item.aspx?SKU=edb-3/4mbk"]http://www.normans.co.uk/Items/Item.aspx?SKU=edb-3/4mbk[/url]

The first link also has the EUB in the honey colour. if you clink on enlarge, it shows the full range of colours. I have the 2nd one which is a very nice deep wine red.

Again, no idea about box but you do also get a superb gig bag. Its not some cheap flimsy rubbish, its a proper padded gig bag. really good.

The one thing I really want to know is what are the stock strings that come on this EUB. They seem very good and Bassace also thinks they could be good one. I have no idea on who to ask though or who might know.

Hope that helps.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='144534' date='Feb 21 2008, 05:23 PM']Vice like grip is NOT i repeat NOT something you need.
vice like has a stiff and un yielding nature to it which can lead to over working muscles and reduced mobility. What you need is efficiency of pressure, using the physical attributes you posess and fluidity of movement, which can take a little getting used to.
If you are serious about getting any good on the instrument then have at least a few lessons on left hand technique, the positions and movement. It really is nothing like Bass Guitar (I've been playing both for over 20yrs)
You may well get some people responding to this post saying you can get by without training, this is true but who wants to just get by. You can save a whole heap of time by gettting some basic advice which will set good habits in place and immeasurably enhance your progress.

also If you are getting pounding muscles and sweating, you may well be over working without need.[/quote]

Hi jackbass,

Thanks for the reply. I think the vice like grip has been interpreted wrong here :) What I was meaning was, to fret an electric bass is pretty easy compared to fretting a double bass. Having played electric bass for 20 years, I am finding the physical strength required to fret on a double bass much higher than an electric bass. So, the vice like remark for me was once I am used to it, I am sure my fretting hand is going to be a lot stronger and thus, when all is said and done, my fretting hand will be as strong as a vice, jokingly of course. Certainly not refering to any technique. Thats what I mean't, not sure TheRinser was meaning. Of course, once I am more used to playing, I am sure it will all become a lot easier. I certainly noticed after just a week that things were easier.

One other point, I am not sure if its normal or not, but the strings on the Stagg seem pretty taught. So I am finding the tension of the strings and the thicker neck on an EUB is requiring more strength in my fingers to fret. When I go back to playing an electric bass, its like the neck is as thin as a pencil and the strings are very floppy.

I do plan on having lessons. I think this is the only way forward or the sensible way to go. Its such a different instrument that i really want to be heading in the right direction with it from the start. I just need to find a tutor in the Surrey area.

Thanks for the advice. really appreciate it.

Hey jake, I meant the same as Linus when referring to vicelike grip, not the way I'm playing it at the mo. I'm also intending to get lessons but at the moment I'm extremely poor so I'm just gonna keep bashing away and try not to get any bad habits, which ins why I was asking about any pointers or definite no-no's from more experienced DB players such as yourself. I've found when I first pick up the DB it's a bit of a struggle left hand wise, not painful as such but I just feel clumsy and slow, after a few tunes, then a break I can get back on it and feel a bit more warmed up, generally more on it intonation and fretting-wise.

I'm finding my thumb gets in the way, it bends backwards about 90 degrees, so i've never had textbook technique on BG, but it's never caused me problems technique wise. It does seem to stop my hand properly arching over the neck on the DB though. It's at the back in the centre of the neck still, so dunno how much of a difference it's making...

Paul - I got mine from Zings, they were very helpful, it was an xmas present from the parents and told them it'd be late Jan/early Feb. I called up on the 15th asking where it was and apparently they'd sent my mum an email asking if the long waiting time would be ok and never received a response. They said I was lucky as a shipment had come in the day before and they'd get one out to me asap, that was thursday, business post tried to deliver it monday and i picked it up from their depot tuesday. Very good service by Zings! I did ask for black, and they asked if metallic black was ok, i asked what other colours they had and they said that was all at the moment as they were all as rare as gold dust. So I'd say get an order in asap, at that price I could handle a month or so waiting time...

Cheers,

Tom

All good Guys,
the best approach I ever heard for how to apply the right kind of pressure with your fingers is to visualise a violinist the way they hang their fingers off their fingerboard using a hook shape by curling their fingers, if you open your hand and don't squeeze (hence me being so vocal about the vice) and use the natural weight of your arm to "hang" your left hand (although really its slightly pulling back) you can create a really powerful stop (fretting to electric players) with the weight of your arm.
the net result of this is a tremendous freedom of movement in your whole arm throughout the range of the instrument.

Linus, If you are serious about lessons, I'm between Aldershot and Farnham and can throw a stone into Surrey from my house so PM me if you're interested.
Best of luck with it
Jake

[quote name='TheRinser' post='144301' date='Feb 21 2008, 12:12 PM']Just a quick update...

Lovin' it! Spent last night trying to play along with some jazz standards and some fingathing tunes (awesome instrumental hip hop band, just EUB and decks, UK based too!).

I'm actually finding 4 finger technique easier than the 124 double bass thing. Hand strength has still got a long way to go, and intonation, but it's great fun. My back aches a bit. If anyone fancies giving me a few pointers that'd be nice... Or generally any info about standing position relative to the bass. Tried to find some stuff on the net but doesn't seem like there's much about...

Cheers,

Tom[/quote]

Hi Tom,
stance: feet just wider than shoulders, knees slightly bent (think boxer)
left hand: you may be fine using 1234 on an EUB you would be less likely to get away with it on acoustic (although some do) I would urge you to persevere with correct LH technique though (you may want to play double at some point)
upper register: is actually known as thumb position as the orientation of your hand changes from horizontal to downward pointing (ironically "up" the neck)
where your back is concerned, think of it like this your bass won't get injured standing but you could so adjust its position to suit your posture. avoid "holding" your body in any positions that create muscle tension as over time they will tire and ache.

I'm doing my best to explain in the written word, but if you do it wrong I'm not there to say "nearly, thats it like that" etc one lesson on posture and LH positioning would last you a month, so I would say do it, save yourself the pain of undoing bad habits.

Hope thats useful

Jake

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='Linus27' post='144587' date='Feb 21 2008, 06:25 PM']Hope that helps.[/quote]

That's a big help, Linus, thank you!

----

I have a BDI21, does anyone know if I can plug straight into a PA without a bass amp using this, if needed?

Is that safe, would certain PA speakers have to be used to handle the frequencies?

[quote name='paul, the' post='145159' date='Feb 22 2008, 04:19 PM']I have a BDI21, does anyone know if I can plug straight into a PA without a bass amp using this, if needed?

Is that safe, would certain PA speakers have to be used to handle the frequencies?[/quote]
I have used an ADI21 (near as dammit the same thing) with a Palatino VE-500 and a NS WAV-4 direct into a Peavey powered mixer, and also run the WAV-4 straight into the powered mixer. The PA speakers are reasonable full-range ones and handle it OK, but we don't have the volume anywhere near 11. And as I'm the only non-acoustic instrument on stage, I can't hear myself properly, so I will be using the GK 200MB in future (which has a handy DI).

[quote name='paul, the' post='145159' date='Feb 22 2008, 04:19 PM']That's a big help, Linus, thank you!

----

I have a BDI21, does anyone know if I can plug straight into a PA without a bass amp using this, if needed?

Is that safe, would certain PA speakers have to be used to handle the frequencies?[/quote]

You'd need it in the monitors or you'll not be able to hear yourself.
I play with an acoutic band sometimes and they are all Ok as their instruments actually make a noise near their ears - fiddle, accordian, box guitar - but my non acoustic bass only comes out of the FOH speakers and there's no monitors... ..
So it's a problem...

Ok here is my effort, not played very well and something I kind of just made up. I have not played it for a week so it all felt a bit alien again.

Anyway, thats not the point, its more to compare the sound of it. My settings were direct into the soundcard on my PC and with the Sub Bass setting on about 85%.

Edited by Linus27

Had my first lesson today with Jakesbass. I have played electric bass for 20 years, some of it profesionally but I have never had a lesson in my life and certainly no experience of playing double bass. I found the whole thing truely fascinating and a real eye opener. Jake explained things in a very clear and logical way and despite being a little confused at times due to my own inexperience, I went away with a ton of things to practise and a derire to learn so much more. So I have booked another lesson with Jake for two weeks time.

As for the Stagg EUB, I had no problems today using it as a way to learn double bass and Jake seemed to be happy with it also.

If anyone is looking for some lessons, then I can highly recommend Jake.

Edited by Linus27