Why become a member? ×

de-valueing??

mikeh

Keep the original bridge and use the original screws, the screwholes are the same, so no damage will be done. Pup cover will be maybe a problem. You could get a new pickguard and again keep the original one, then you won't harm any of your original gear, hence no devaluation...

12 months ago I would have said yes to both. Now I'd say that the PUP cover simply restricts the tonal possibilities as you can't play over the PUP, whilst the BADASS takes some of the Precision-ness away from the sound. I had both on all three old Precisions I've owned. I now have neither.
Chris

I have a Precison with a S8 serial & the same style of logo and that came with the covers, so its surprises me that yours isn't already drilled for the cover (& thumbrest), unless of course its already wearing a replacement pg and the body is already drilled, although I can't see bridge cover holes in the pic.

I use both covers on mine (the original ones that came with it), but I particularly like the pickup cover as it is the perfect hand rest for Jamerson-style playing.

I prefer the stock bridge on a Precision as a badass seems to take away some of the thump, however I do like a badass on a jazz. As already mentioned a badass II uses the original screw holes, however as its bigger than the stock bridge there may be an imprint of it on the body (usually seen as a line behind the bridge) when you take it off several years later.

I can't see either mod affecting the value unless its in mint under-the-bed condition, but its a gigging tool not a museum piece isn't it?

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard