Why become a member? ×

Banners / Backdrops

elom

What are your thoughts on a band banner/backdrop with the name or logo on it? I thought that it would be a sound bit of marketing on the premis that most of the punters don't know who we are.

Do you have any suggestions for where I could get one done and how much it might cost? Our drummer has found a company called [url="http://www.taggd.co.uk/tagged2/site/backdrops.htm"]Tagg'd[/url] and I wondered if anyone here had any experience of them?

Thanks

elom

as an art graduate with the whole visual knowhow gubbins we were supposed to have been taught i would say be carefull.

like it or not a lot of people's opinion of you is formed on the image first then the music. therefore a banner would have to be 'right'. the design will have be done well, perfectly match and encapsulate the band and the music and not date in style.

ideally a banner/logo should encapsulate the band and also be transparant to let the music do the talking. This is a very hard thing to do- signed bands will spend thousands and thousands on people to do this well. a half good effort will make the band look half good no matter how good they are as a banner is so big. a banner also has a certain pretentiousness to it- if you are skilled you can make this work to your advantage.
Something like a logo on the bass drum may do the same thing but be easier, or posters for the walls of venues...

have you thought about buying a second hand video projector and using that instead? your backdrop would then be able o be updated/move/ be changed plus you would have a video projector for all your video art/home movie needs

we got one of these

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_backdrop_bundle.htm"]Thomann Backdrop[/url]

with the stands and everything. Pretty good. The stands have quite a big footprint but can be used for sticking some extra lights on. For smaller places you can of course just hang the actual cloth bit up minus the stands. Its fire retardant too which some places will insist upon and want to see evidence of.

Painted it myself (being the artistic type!) - our logo at the time was in a stencil font anyway so made some stencils up on PC, stuck em on some card, cut 'em out and used cheapo Halfords white spray paint. Took a few coats as it soaked in a bit but looks pretty good. Paint did bleed/feather slightly in places but because of our stencil typeface it looks fine - if you were doing a more precise/fancy logo you might want to do things differently.

peace

c

If you want a quality, fire retardent (very important!) backdrop and bass drum head with logo then contact GCB at [url="http://www.rockdrops.com"]Rockdrops[/url] [[email protected]] (GCB)[/email] and tell him that Gary (Spector bassist) recommended him.

He does amazing work and will do you the best deal he can....

Edited by cetera

[quote name='elom' date='Oct 10 2007, 12:02 AM' post='71926']
What are your thoughts on a band banner/backdrop with the name or logo on it? I thought that it would be a sound bit of marketing on the premis that most of the punters don't know who we are.

Do you have any suggestions for where I could get one done and how much it might cost? Our drummer has found a company called [url="http://www.taggd.co.uk/tagged2/site/backdrops.htm"]Tagg'd[/url] and I wondered if anyone here had any experience of them?

Thanks

elom

MB1. :)
This works providing its just you playing, otherwise the average punter thinks all the bands are called "dogskanktoilet".I dont think these banners are worth holding up your gig ,while the drummer attempts to tie it to the curtains without falling out of the window.If your frontman introduces you...........Hi we are "dogskanktoilet"or whatever, that should be enough,if your good or bad audiences very rarely forget.I Do think the bass drum, is a good place to stick your band name though,and all the effort and blame is on the drummers shoulders, not yours,if hes spelt it wrong!.

Edited by MB1

PM me. I'll send you some examples of my work and some costings.
Just a teaser for an AC/DC tribute band I did a few years back......

All done free hand by the way. But no quibble. Not Happy? Don't pay!! It's the reputation I'm after!
Cost prices as well. Just the materials and paint plus a beer or two!

Edited by tombboy

When I was playing the clubs with one band I had the dubious honour of sticking the backdrop up - risking life and limb trying to balance on Leslie Speakers, Hammond Organs, Bingo machines etc while stapling my fingers to the wall. Horrible memory - shudder. I thought I was over it, but...

[quote name='Buzz' post='71957' date='Oct 10 2007, 01:53 AM']Check NancyJohnson's most recent thread, he did his own banner:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6680"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6680[/url]

Looks quite swish actually[/quote]

I thank you.

We're gigging 26/10/07 at Catseye Studios in leafy Lambourn Woodlands, Berkshire (where we rehearse). The banner (plus my Waterstone 12 and 79 Precision will be on show.
P

You're joking right?!

I hate gigging with 'lectric kits. Unless you have an awesome drum sound coming out your monitor, it sounds awful on stage!! Tap:Tap:Tap:Tap when it should be THUMP:BANG:WALLOP lol

Ear plugs recommended of course! :)

Si