Why become a member? ×

Good bass places in the Toon

Viajero

I have a head, but no cab. To try and remedy this situation, I'm going to Newcastle on Saturday morning. I'll head down to Dean Street, but where else should I go to try good gear and chat to knowledgable folks? I know there are plenty of BCers in the NE, so please, help me out, guys!

you HAVE to go to howard's bass place if it's still there

[url="http://trustedplaces.com/review/uk/newcastle/shop/133327r/howard-s-bass-place"]http://trustedplaces.com/review/uk/newcast...rd-s-bass-place[/url]

if you ask him if he remembers the guy who bought a musicman sabre from him years ago...

he does great setups and repairs, and always has some weird and wonderful basses in the shop.

yeah - windows is just sh*te

now there was a place in a little square opposite an electrical shop on hood street (?) just before it opened onto the bigg market...can't remember the name tho...it was up some stairs....

soz - it's been 5 years since i left the toon.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' post='72144' date='Oct 10 2007, 01:34 PM']yeah - windows is just sh*te[/quote]

It's a GREAT record shop, though.

[quote name='ahpook' post='72144' date='Oct 10 2007, 01:34 PM']now there was a place in a little square opposite an electrical shop on hood street (?) just before it opened onto the bigg market...can't remember the name tho...it was up some stairs....
soz - it's been 5 years since i left the toon.[/quote]

Spenders... long gone.

[quote name='ahpook' post='72144' date='Oct 10 2007, 01:34 PM']yeah - windows is just sh*te

now there was a place in a little square opposite an electrical shop on hood street (?) just before it opened onto the bigg market...can't remember the name tho...it was up some stairs....
soz - it's been 5 years since i left the toon.[/quote]

Are you thinking of The Guitar Shop more or less opposite Aitken Bro's electronics shop? Up a few stairs and round the corner on the way to The Old George? (It's still there but is 99% guitar orientated. Occasionally has a bass or two in but I've never seen bass amps or cabs.)

Guitar Guitar usually have a pretty good range of bass amps and cabs, I'd never seen Eden or SWR in Newcastle shops until they opened. Great range of basses too.

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='72292' date='Oct 10 2007, 05:57 PM']Are you thinking of The Guitar Shop more or less opposite Aitken Bro's electronics shop? Up a few stairs and round the corner on the way to The Old George? (It's still there but is 99% guitar orientated. Occasionally has a bass or two in but I've never seen bass amps or cabs.)[/quote]

that's the one...lots of high end guitars ?

he was a nice chap who used to be in there...

[quote name='ahpook' post='71948' date='Oct 10 2007, 12:55 AM']you HAVE to go to howard's bass place if it's still there

[url="http://trustedplaces.com/review/uk/newcastle/shop/133327r/howard-s-bass-place"]http://trustedplaces.com/review/uk/newcast...rd-s-bass-place[/url]

if you ask him if he remembers the guy who bought a musicman sabre from him years ago...

he does great setups and repairs, and always has some weird and wonderful basses in the shop.[/quote]

+1 on Howards, Nice bloke, knows his stuff, all sorts of wierd and wonderful things.

Last time I went looking at gear in Newcastle, we used to hang out at rock city. this moved to moseley street and I belive it's now a sound control. we also used to go to Chris and andy's on High bridge but they split and chris now runs Overwater from carlisle.
windows is only good for finding obscure folk CDs.

Coincidentally I'm visiting the folks this coming week so I might have a wander round the guitar shops myself.

[quote name='jacko' post='73439' date='Oct 12 2007, 04:29 PM']windows is only good for finding obscure folk CDs.[/quote]

Not true.

The folk stuff is there when you walk in. Have you been in the basement? That's where it all happens, man. It sells lots and lots all sorts, from obscure to chart stuff, and is cheaper than most.

GREAT selection of DVDs, too.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='73448' date='Oct 12 2007, 04:45 PM']Not true.

The folk stuff is there when you walk in. Have you been in the basement? That's where it all happens, man. It sells lots and lots all sorts, from obscure to chart stuff, and is cheaper than most.

GREAT selection of DVDs, too.[/quote]

I know. My reply was tongue in cheek.