Why become a member? ×

Cash Converter Bargains

Bass_In_Yer_Face

I've seen some great deals in my local cash converters. I would be sure that what you're buying works first though. I bought a PSU off their Ebay shop 2 weeks ago and it was broken. They gave me a full refund though, so...

I spent a lot of time in these types of shops about a year ago looking for my stolen guitar :-(

It has to be something that they don't have a clue about and can't easily look up on the internet to get a guide price. A sound engineer friend of mine got £2-3k's worth of studio monitoring for £200 although they needed another few hundred quid to replace a tweeter.

I recently spotted a dynacord amp head in a crack converters but havent had any luck finding much info on it.It was at £220 but has been dropped to £150 although the graphic sliders felt a bit stiff and it looked like it might need a fair bit of time and money spending to fully restore it.Decided not to get it as have been caught out before and spent more on something than it was worth.
Quite often these places overprice stuff and dont even bother to give it a decent clean up.
Personally I dont agree with the places on a moral basis as they are just legalised loan sharks who rip off people who are desperate for money.There's also alot off ripped of gear in them too.I'd be gutted to find any of my stuff in there.

[quote name='Geddys nose' date='Oct 10 2007, 12:10 PM' post='72099']
Didn't someone on here get a Wal for about 300? you dream about things like that.
MB1. :)
£150 Apparently from the cash converter in Bolton ,which he then sold on Ebay for £1500.They now know how much these basses are worth though, so youll be lucky to see any cheap Wals.However sometimes if theyve been pawned ,and the guy doesnt turn up to collect at the end of the month,theyre within there rights to sell it for whatever was borrowed, plus there wedge and if they dont know what the true value of the item is bargains can be had. Very Hit and miss though!...

Edited by MB1

Never seen any tidy bass stuff, but last month I found a Peavy Classic 30 guit*r combo; all-valve, US-made, tweed covered case absolutely immaculate, for £95 - they retail at around £400. Not a patch on that Wal though!

there was a wee independent pawn shop on the way to my uni that had the odd guitar just hung at the back every now and again. One day they had a Gibson ES 335 with bagsby trem added for £400. I rand my guitarplayingwheelingdealing friend ahd he said i could buy it and make back 3 times as much.
i had a wee play and it was in lovely condition but i think cos it didnt feel right to my bass playing hands i let it go by. it was gone an hour after i tried it out.

My mate was third in line for a Smith 6 string bass for £120 (with case) last year ....

I got my 1962 P bass for £110 in a junk shop (in 1973 or so) sadly it was re-cycled into the community about 10 years later ....

Edited by OldGit

It was me who picked up the RBX 270 - I've had 3 basses from them............

First an Ibanez SR900 - it was mint, listed at £300, I knocked them down to £260.

Second was a well used but perfectly good Westone Thunder 1A plus fender hard case for £99.

And the best was the RBX 270 for £25. Perfect working order but heavily scratched. I sanded it down and waxed it, shielded the cavity and sold it to a mate for £50. The markup wasn't to make a profit - simply reflected a new set of strings and some labour - and it was a wicked bass. I was so impressed with the quality, I've just bought a BB614.

Our local store has a very interesting looking 'Asama' bass - original body shape with a maple neck that is a bit bowed - I'm tempted!! Anyone heard of thes?

Anyway - in answer to the original post - yes - you can definately find some bargains in Crack Converters!!

I know this isn't musical, but got a beautiful black bodied Olympus OM1. It's trashed - much in the same way as an old peeling Fender Jazz - the brass was showing through the black finish, it's dinged and the seals needed replacing, but it's lovely. £40.00.

A place in Reading had a double cutaway Gibson Les Paul junior on sale for £120.00 one time about five years ago. It was wrecked, but played great. I literally sprinted to the cashpoint but it was gone when I got back. Damn damn damn.
P

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='mr pablo' post='72107' date='Oct 10 2007, 12:31 PM']I saw a Wal in the kirkcaldy one fro £600 a few years back[/quote]

Yes, and I know who has it!! It's an early Wal Pro.

They also sold someone an Ibanez Jem (the dear one) for £800 although it was a fake. Made the local paper.......

D.