Why become a member? ×

First audition

Guest subaudio

Guest subaudio

Well, I have an audition Tomorrow for a new band playing double bass, I have never played double bass in a band environment, I have had lessons for about 5 months on and off and wondered if you guys have any tips or advice.

I am a veteran electric bassist with over twenty years of gigging, but the DB is a different beast altogether, so all advice gratefully received :)

In this situation the one thing you must avoid at all costs is a drink.

I used to carry a hip flask with me, but this went out of the window when I had some serious intonation issues. It didn't hit anyone though.

Seriously, I'd keep your chops simple. If it's a walking gig then keep the harmony simple, and bang the root notes down. Don't mess around too much! A couple of flashy licks here and there and you'll be laughing, you'll be in the groove and you'll be fine. If you're good, but I assume you already are hence you've got the audition...

Guest subaudio

Hi Jebo

Thanks for that mate, I may well have a few afterwards though ;0)

Yep, I think the simple idea is great advice, I'm not worried about coming up with lines so much, the material dosent call for huge walking lines or complex parts, as you say just hold the root and groove, just intonation really, so I musn't go off on one and realise I have no idea were I am, I am toying with the idea of putting some temp markers on the side of the board, not sure about that one.

Thanks again

[quote name='Jebo1' post='72236' date='Oct 10 2007, 03:57 PM']In this situation the one thing you must avoid at all costs is a drink.

I used to carry a hip flask with me, but this went out of the window when I had some serious intonation issues. It didn't hit anyone though.

Seriously, I'd keep your chops simple. If it's a walking gig then keep the harmony simple, and bang the root notes down. Don't mess around too much! A couple of flashy licks here and there and you'll be laughing, you'll be in the groove and you'll be fine. If you're good, but I assume you already are hence you've got the audition...[/quote]

Guest subaudio

Hi Rev

Thanks, sounds like a plan, that's one of the things I love about DB, it really makes you think about what your playing (and why your playing it).

[quote name='TheRev' post='72251' date='Oct 10 2007, 04:17 PM']More space, less notes.[/quote]

Edited by subaudio

Guest subaudio

Hi guy's

Just a quick line to say thanks for the advice, I kept it simple, low and left loads of space, and got the gig :) quite different to my usual aproach on electric bass where I spend hours sneaking in crafty and buisy bass lines.

I did cheat a bit and put stickers on 5, 7 and 12th "fret" positions on the edge of the fretboard, as my main concern was intonation, they did help but they wont be staying on for long, it kinda felt like mountain biking with stabalizers on :huh:

Nice one Sub!
I've only been playing upright for about 8 months but I've found you can do a lot with one note, a slide and a bit of vibrato!

I wouldn't worry about your stickers. my EUB has dots at the harmonic points and I'm happy to admit I'd be lost without them. Anyway, no-one else can see them but me....

Guest subaudio

Hi Rev

Thanks matey, like you said, more space less notes, I find myself mostly playing roots or 5th above or under, and the impact comes from the feel of the note and when it's played.

What EUB are you playing?

[quote name='TheRev' post='73184' date='Oct 12 2007, 09:25 AM']Nice one Sub!
I've only been playing upright for about 8 months but I've found you can do a lot with one note, a slide and a bit of vibrato!

I wouldn't worry about your stickers. my EUB has dots at the harmonic points and I'm happy to admit I'd be lost without them. Anyway, no-one else can see them but me....[/quote]

Edited by subaudio

[quote name='subaudio' post='73268' date='Oct 12 2007, 11:52 AM']Hi Rev

Thanks matey, like you said, more space less notes, I find myself mostly playing roots or 5th above or under, and the impact comes from the feel of the note and when it's played.

What EUB are you playing?[/quote]

It's an Aria SWB Lite. I don't think it sounds terribly close to a proper DB but with a DB playing technique (or as close as I can get!!) it's definitley passable. Plus it fits in my car!

TBH, when I bought it I was actually looking for a new fretless but it popped up on the for sale forum on Bassworld and I thought 'what the hell'.

Edited by TheRev

Congratulations Mr Sub :)

I'm also an EUBer who needs the markers ( as there's no body to gauge where you are, just a long expanse of neck!). Did my first gig on it last night and got through it (ish!). My story is similar to yours - nearly 19 years on bass guitar but upright is a whole new adventure !

Cheers,
Alun

I'll admit to some dots as well...its a bass guitar habit! There are always those gigs where you just can't hear yoursely well enough (I often don't use an amp and rely on stage monitors). Its worth remembering that when you meet someone with a "snobby attitude" about position markers you can be pretty sure they've never played a "loud" gig.

I sometimes think about removing them.....but stil haven't. Close your eyes and see if you need them?

At least they don't light up. yet.

BB

Guest subaudio

Good stuff guys

My NS is dot city, a bit too much maybe as I find myself looking at the neck all the time, I think the 5, 7 & 12 on my DB is a happy compromise.

I would rather be in tune and be thought "uncool" by a dot snob, over out of tune anyday, I would like not to need them, and with a couple of years solid practice I probably wont but I have gigs now and dont fancy waiting arounding and not playing in the mean time.

MMM LEDs, that would look cool on the NS, a good point about loud gigs and monitoring.